NHL Transactions, Injuries & Rumours

Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
BUTTON_POST_REPLY
Chris
PostsCOLON 3619
JoinedCOLON Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: NHL Transactions - Injuries and More Injuries

Post by Chris »

Speed down the middle > Speed on the wing. Fucking Hockey 101. Not sure why people are arguing this.
Scott
PostsCOLON 7701
JoinedCOLON Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:21 pm
LocationCOLON London, Ontario

Post by Scott »

Cuntacular Chris wroteCOLONSpeed down the middle > Speed on the wing. Fucking Hockey 101. Not sure why people are arguing this.
Guys in this league will argue the day isn't 24 hours long..

BACK-TO-BACK BBKL CHAMPIONS!!! 2009-2010 & 2010-2011
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 4:22 pm
LocationCOLON Mississauga, Ontario
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Cuntacular Chris wroteCOLONSpeed down the middle > Speed on the wing. Fucking Hockey 101. Not sure why people are arguing this.
You claimed that Steckel's speed or lack thereof would be protected more on the wings, than in the middle, which is blatantly wrong. The center ice man does not typically travel as far into the offensive zone as the wingers, but typically plays slot to slot (much like a central midfielder in soccer, or point guard in basketball), and is the first forward back on defense. This is especially true in the 2-1-2 system that the Leafs, and most other teams utilize, the two wingers fore checking the puck carrier are the most agressive, and need to be quick to force a turnover, this emphasizes quick start up and stop speed from the wingers, and defenceman who pinch along the walls. It is no coincidence that a teams quickest players tend to play the wing, and are utilized as weapons on the forecheck.
Last edited by 1 on MSP4LYFE, edited 0 times in total.
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

The Devil wroteCOLONMost of the shifts I seen him taking were with Lombardi.. who would be the C on that line and probably explains why Lombardi only has 3 FOWs thus far.
Not that it changes anything, but I completely forgot about Lombardi. BTW, Wilson was quoted as saying that he envisions Lombardi playing LW on the third line.
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Cuntacular Chris wroteCOLON
MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON
Cuntacular Chris wroteCOLON and protect against his slow foot startup.
LOL what? If anything playing the center ice position masks that...It's one of the main reasons Jordan Staal is utilized primarily as a winger on Pittsburgh, that and he is a fantastic defensive center.
Errr, no. It doesn't. A centre should be quick, versatile, and capable of clogging the neutral zone with his speed, as well as supporting the defense as the wingers need to cover the boards and a very small section of the ice. It's okay Kareem. Some of us have played hockey, you clearly haven't.
Yeah...That's why the fastest forwards in the league all play down the middle. :roll:
Chris
PostsCOLON 3619

Post by Chris »

Why are you still arguing something you don't have any clue about? If a winger like Steckel cannot keep up with forechecking systems like what the Leafs utilize, you protect his "lack" of footspeed with a conservative system, which is what Wilson does with his 4th line now. If you watch closely, Steckel doesn't switch over until the team has a breakout (or the situation permits), allowing Lombardi to take over down the middle to best utilize his speed and transitional abilities. You'll also note that Steckel doesn't venture below the red-line very often as it's counter productive.

And the 2-2-1 is a torpedo left-wing lock system. It is an offensive system, not a defensive system, utilized by coaches in late stages of the game when they need a goal by pushing their defensemen further into the offensive zone. The fact that you claim it doesn't exist is really telling Kareem.

Please avoid all future hockey fundamental discussions as you're out of your depth.
Chris
PostsCOLON 3619

Post by Chris »

This is just hilarious to me. A kid, one who has never played hockey in his life, is arguing tactics with people who have. Nick, I'll let it slide because I know he plays, but I don't think he's seen enough of Steckel in the last two games to really see the switch.
Scott
PostsCOLON 7701

Post by Scott »

Usually the smartest hockey players play up the middle.. that combine with good skating is a very good start of a natural NHL centerman. The fastest skaters doesn't necessarily mean the best skaters.

I think the point Chris is trying to make is that Steckel, east to west is a below average skater. His straight away foot speed is about average and thus making him a better fit, after the FO on the wing. He gets better opportunity to use his big frame to forecheck, to get in defenseman's passing lanes, to block point shots, to hit and grind along the wall. This is indeed hockey 101 and I 100% agree with Chris.

As for the 2-2-1.. it doesn't exist? Really?

MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Cuntacular Chris wroteCOLONWhy are you still arguing something you don't have any clue about? If a winger like Steckel cannot keep up with forechecking systems like what the Leafs utilize, you protect his "lack" of footspeed with a conservative system, which is what Wilson does with his 4th line now. If you watch closely, Steckel doesn't switch over until the team has a breakout (or the situation permits), allowing Lombardi to take over down the middle to best utilize his speed and transitional abilities. You'll also note that Steckel doesn't venture below the red-line very often as it's counter productive.
Steckel tends not to venture past the red line as a center, so that isn't saying very much.
Cuntacular Chris wroteCOLONAnd the 2-2-1 is a torpedo left-wing lock system. It is an offensive system, not a defensive system, utilized by coaches in late stages of the game when they need a goal by pushing their defensemen further into the offensive zone. The fact that you claim it doesn't exist is really telling Kareem.

Please avoid all future hockey fundamental discussions as you're out of your depth.
I won't go to far into this, as it is irrelevant to the topic at hand, but the argument you made was that the Leafs employ a 2-2-1 system, not 2-1-2, you then reverted back to the above to save face when you were proven wrong.

Any hootie and the blow fish, I'm out to do some hw, and maybe catch some of the Panthers game, feel free to debate this further alone.
Scott
PostsCOLON 7701

Post by Scott »

Wait, FOWs must = centre.. my bad guys :roll:

Fuck that argument from last year (and likely the year before) still bugs the shit out of me. I swear some people here never even watch hockey let alone played the game.

MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Cuntacular Chris wroteCOLONThis is just hilarious to me. A kid, one who has never played hockey in his life, is arguing tactics with people who have. Nick, I'll let it slide because I know he plays, but I don't think he's seen enough of Steckel in the last two games to really see the switch.
I've never played hockey? Interesting... Is there anything else about my life that I don't know?
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

The Devil wroteCOLONUsually the smartest hockey players play up the middle.. that combine with good skating is a very good start of a natural NHL centerman. The fastest skaters doesn't necessarily mean the best skaters.

I think the point Chris is trying to make is that Steckel, east to west is a below average skater. His straight away foot speed is about average and thus making him a better fit, after the FO on the wing. He gets better opportunity to use his big frame to forecheck, to get in defenseman's passing lanes, to block point shots, to hit and grind along the wall. This is indeed hockey 101 and I 100% agree with Chris.

As for the 2-2-1.. it doesn't exist? Really?
In this instance, we are arguing start/stop skating, and straight away speed.

As for the last point, Chris argued that the 2-2-1 is what Ron Wilson employs, not late in games, but in general, as opposed to the 2-1-2, that is what does not exist.
Scott
PostsCOLON 7701

Post by Scott »

Any hootie and the blowfish? Really Kareem? You're better then that man..

Chris
PostsCOLON 3619

Post by Chris »

MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON*blah blah blah*

I won't go to far into this, as it is irrelevant to the topic at hand, but the argument you made was that the Leafs employ a 2-2-1 system, not 2-1-2, you then reverted back to the above to save face when you were proven wrong.

Any hootie and the blow fish, I'm out to do some hw, and maybe catch some of the Panthers game, feel free to debate this further alone.
You should re-read that thread. We were talking about the offensive system in the late stages of the game. I was near-certain that Wilson was employing that system during a previous game with the Kessel line, and after reading the comments opposing my opinion, I rescinded after realizing that the system would have had to start from the back end (one defenseman back, four players gaining the line); and no one line was playing that system consistently, if at all.

So you went from "Steckel is a centre! Switching positions mid-shift is unpossible!" to "You're stupid because you said this 2-2-1 system exists" to "You're stupid because you suggested 2-2-1 when you meant 2-1-2."

Be consistent, faggot.
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Nope, pretty sure I maintained that Steckel is a center, cunt.
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

The Devil wroteCOLONAny hootie and the blowfish? Really Kareem? You're better then that man..
Are you kidding me? That is a Jake and Amir quote...Hilarious line too.
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Cuntacular Chris wroteCOLONBe consistent, faggot.
That alone would require some consistency, no?
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044
JoinedCOLON Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 am

Post by Nick »

I find it hilarious that you two cannot admit that on the 4th line, where he actually plays, steckle is a centre.

No one anywhere said he doesn't come on specifically for a draw, where he isn't the centre in play and I'd wager switches to the wing on the side of change desired.

Also for whatever Its worth I'd argue speed is one of, if not the most important trait of a winger.

I'll say this one final time, because it's already been said enough times. For our positioning purposes, the player taking the draw is the centre, it is very simple reasoning, steckle for example takes a lot of draws, and therefor is a centre.
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:29 pm

Post by Lee »

Viktor Tikhonov to SKA St. Petersburg KHL
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:29 pm

Post by Lee »

Craig Rivet signs in the ECHL