Finally going to do the whole smart phone thing...

Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
anton
PostsCOLON 7111
JoinedCOLON Mon May 10, 2010 10:03 pm
LocationCOLON Orange County

Finally going to do the whole smart phone thing...

Post by anton »

I AM COMPLETELY CLUELESS about anything smart phone related. I've deciphered that it's pretty much iphone vs android, but not much else.

from what i've read/heard from mates, samsung galaxy s vs iphone are probably my best options. HTC is a bit more in my price range if there's not a huge dip in quality.

because im only in aus temporarily, ill be buying just the phone without a plan and just keep doing the pre-paid thing till im back somewhere semi-permanently.

any sort of recommendation or experience would help. like i said, i have no idea what's going on, but i cant resist this movement much longer.
armandtanzarian

Re: Finally going to do the whole smart phone thing...

Post by armandtanzarian »

I have a blackberry and love it but I also love the iPhone and have also fell in love with the Android platform. If i was to go out tomorrow to buy one, i would be going Google Android platform for sure. I got playing with a buddy of mine's and I was very impressed with it. I think they will be major market players very soon if they aren't already.
KapG
PostsCOLON 11908
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 5:46 pm
LocationCOLON Toronto (beach area)

Post by KapG »

if your going to get an iphone wait for the iphone 5. I think its out in november or something like that (it was pushed back a few times IIRC).

I know nothing about androids.
hong57
PostsCOLON 7106
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:38 pm

Post by hong57 »

u r asking canadians.. of coz they tell u to get a blackberry...
i got iphone4.. (smart ass for getting it just before iphone5 came out but ppl say it's not big an upgrade)... so far i loved it and they have lots of apps and u see me online more.. (during working hours of coz).. lol
iphone is smartest smartphone but i heard HTC is pretty gd too
#91 - John Tavares
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:29 pm

Post by Lee »

dropped my iphone and cracked the screen. trying to hold it together until the 5 comes out. I'd never consider replacing it.
KapG
PostsCOLON 11908
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 5:46 pm
LocationCOLON Toronto (beach area)

Post by KapG »

hong57 wroteCOLONu r asking canadians.. of coz they tell u to get a blackberry...
i got iphone4.. (smart ass for getting it just before iphone5 came out but ppl say it's not big an upgrade)... so far i loved it and they have lots of apps and u see me online more.. (during working hours of coz).. lol
iphone is smartest smartphone but i heard HTC is pretty gd too

hong, more and more people are ditching their BB for Iphones or Androids here in Canada I think.
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 2:04 pm

Post by Shep »

If you're going to get an iPhone, wait another month or so. The iPhone 5 will be out anywhere from early September to early October, so no point in getting the iPhone4 when the new one comes out in a month or so.

I've heard nothing but great things about the Android (I'm an iPhone user contemplating the switch). Because Android has always been known as the #3 after iPhone and Blackberry, they are continuing to come up with innovative perks for their phones because they have to, to keep up with the other 2 big cell phones. So from what I've heard and read, they actually have everything that is the best but because of the NAME of iPhone and Blackberry, Androids are always looked at as the #3 phone, when they may indeed be the #1.

That's just my opinion and what I've heard/read.

I'd put Blackberry third but that's because I don't need BBM (which IMO is the only good thing about it).
Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
armandtanzarian

Blackberry is not a prime choice for non-enterprise users, imo. If you are in a secure environment or would like control over your fleet of phones are deal in Microsoft office products frequently, BB is really the only choice. The Playbook was the first tablet to be approved by US Military and Government. iPhone and Android caters to the non-business community way more. I love having BBM but i would toss it in a minute for either of the other choices because i am a gadget type of guy and I appreciate the technology available.
anton
PostsCOLON 7111
JoinedCOLON Mon May 10, 2010 10:03 pm
LocationCOLON Orange County

Post by anton »

i think im gonna go with the samsung galaxy s. ill check ebay and see if i can get some relief on the price tag.
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 2:04 pm

Post by Shep »

anton wroteCOLONi think im gonna go with the samsung galaxy s. ill check ebay and see if i can get some relief on the price tag.
Not sure what model the "S" is, but read up. I've read/haerd that one of the Samsung Galaxy's has been having lots of problems. Not sure what model though.
Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

Yeah i dont even care what is being offered anymore because there are so many features and what not. I used to be huge into GSM phones before smart phones came into major play, but nowadays I just like my blackberry comfortably and sound, as my next purchase is going to be the Blackberry Torch 9860
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYnrT8ZAzpA[/youtube]
the only other smartphone i'd consider purchasing would be the Samsung Galaxy S2. I'm a sucker for vibrant large screen
Mash
PostsCOLON 2135
JoinedCOLON Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:22 am
LocationCOLON Hamilton Ontario

Post by Mash »

mr. bruin wroteCOLONBlackberry is not a prime choice for non-enterprise users, imo. If you are in a secure environment or would like control over your fleet of phones are deal in Microsoft office products frequently, BB is really the only choice. The Playbook was the first tablet to be approved by US Military and Government. iPhone and Android caters to the non-business community way more. I love having BBM but i would toss it in a minute for either of the other choices because i am a gadget type of guy and I appreciate the technology available.

This!

although i really really like the features of the androids now, I wouldn't be able to switch from BB, due the fact that I live on my blackberry for work and if I was to ever lose my BB or playbook i would probably just sleep all day and never do anything! ahahaha. So yeah thanks to work, I love blackberry and its usability fits me perfectly! BUT if you are just getting a phone for the fun gadgets and the use of a social phone, Id probably go Android.

Like right now! im waiting in the airport in Boston waiting for my flight back to Toronto! hahaha on my playbook! haha.
Kareem R
(9:31:36PM): watching them lose games like this in regulation is chicken soup for the soul bitch monkey
armandtanzarian

At least you are in the greatest American city Matt. I have heard only positives on the playbook. Wish i had one.
Mash
PostsCOLON 2135

Post by Mash »

mr. bruin wroteCOLONAt least you are in the greatest American city Matt. I have heard only positives on the playbook. Wish i had one.

Seriously love mine!! Boston was nice, mostly inside office buildings all day but from what I saw, it was nice. Can't wait to get back to Toronto though! Just in time for the jays to come home from their road trip!
Kareem R
(9:31:36PM): watching them lose games like this in regulation is chicken soup for the soul bitch monkey
Chris
PostsCOLON 3619
JoinedCOLON Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:06 pm

Post by Chris »

I own the Motorola Android. Quite possibly the best phone I have ever had. It's rooted in Cyanomod, but uses the Google platform. However, I've heard tremendous things about the Galaxy S II and the Atrix. Gonna check out both later in the week.

I recommend Androids, and only Androids.
Mike
Test 2
PostsCOLON 11390
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 7:08 pm

Post by Mike »

hockeysense wroteCOLONI own the Motorola Android. Quite possibly the best phone I have ever had. It's rooted in Cyanomod, but uses the Google platform. However, I've heard tremendous things about the Galaxy S II and the Atrix. Gonna check out both later in the week.

I recommend Androids, and only Androids.
Me too. Love Cyanogen.
Chris
PostsCOLON 3619
JoinedCOLON Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:06 pm

Post by Chris »

I'm so stupid sometimes.
Mash
PostsCOLON 2135

Post by Mash »

hockeysense wroteCOLONI'm so stupid sometimes.
sometimes?
Kareem R
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044
JoinedCOLON Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 am

Post by Nick »

On iPhone4 here... it's so problem free and easy to use as a non-technie I'd never consider switching.
Scott
PostsCOLON 7701
JoinedCOLON Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:21 pm
LocationCOLON London, Ontario

Post by Scott »

blackberry. I don't use it like I did when I was in the sales game but I still love everything it offers that I wouldn't switch.

BACK-TO-BACK BBKL CHAMPIONS!!! 2009-2010 & 2010-2011
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to