Re: NHL Transactions, Injuries & Rumours

Post by DApolloS »

Tkachuk to Florida for Huberdeau, Weegar, Schwindt and 1st
TheNudge
PostsCOLON 290
JoinedCOLON Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:19 pm

Post by TheNudge »

Looks like the Matthew Tkachuk saga is now over.

The #Flames have acquired Jonathan Huberdeau, MacKenzie Weegar, Cole Schwindt, and a conditional 2025 first-round pick from the Florida Panthers

The Florida have acquire Matthew Tkachuk and a conditional 2025 4th rounder

Tkachuk sign a 9.5M per for 8years

Conclusion: Panthers might have overpaid for Tkachuk since the flames were trading at a disadvantage. But I feel both team came out a winner.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

That is insane for calgary
Amazing return when everyone knew they were over a barrel
Unless florida knew huberdeau wasn't going to sign long term?
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
TheNudge
PostsCOLON 290

Post by TheNudge »

Matthew wroteCOLONThat is insane for calgary
I suspect Huberdeau wants to test the Free Agency next year and that’s why he was expendable . I suspect Flames will either trade him soon or at the deadline. Bravo Flames !!
DApolloS
PostsCOLON 638
JoinedCOLON Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:24 am

Post by DApolloS »

TheNudge wroteCOLONLooks like the Matthew Tkachuk saga is now over.

The #Flames have acquired Jonathan Huberdeau, MacKenzie Weegar, Cole Schwindt, and a conditional 2025 first-round pick from the Florida Panthers

The Florida have acquire Matthew Tkachuk and a conditional 2025 4th rounder

Tkachuk sign a 9.5M per for 8years

Conclusion: Panthers might have overpaid for Tkachuk since the flames were trading at a disadvantage. But I feel both team came out a winner.
Wow, you're late to the party. I already reported it. 2nd tier insiders, HA!
DApolloS
PostsCOLON 638

Post by DApolloS »

Matthew wroteCOLONThat is insane for calgary
Huberdeau is older and they probably would have signed him to the same term maybe a million less. Huberdeau and Weegar are UFAs after this season.
TheNudge
PostsCOLON 290

Post by TheNudge »

DApolloS wroteCOLONTkachuk to Florida for Huberdeau, Weegar, Schwindt and 1st
What’s this , 3rd tier insiders material !! I prefer my post to this garbage. But I agree congrats on reporting it first. Good for you, here’s your gold Star!!
Loki
PostsCOLON 1938
JoinedCOLON Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:38 pm
LocationCOLON Melbourne, AUS

Post by Loki »

So my theory is that Florida knows they can’t extend Huberdeau so they’re replacing him early, but even if he doesn’t want to stay in Calgary I suspect Calgary flips him and Weegar for more at the deadline and rebuilds anyway, they’re both pending UFAs in a year

I don’t think this is as bad for Florida as it looks on the surface, they probably know they can’t keep Huberdeau and Weegar in a years time as their extensions will be too much and they’re moving into their 30s so those extensions won’t age well.
I think Tkachuk is a near impossible player to get in todays NHL so I don’t hate them overpaying to lock him up. That said losing Huberdeau stings for their next season. I think long term it makes sense for them but it’s a lot to give up
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Post by kyuss »

Florida GM should be fired today, since it's too late for yesterday
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

NHL News
@PuckReportNHL
#FlaPanthers GM Bill Zito: “We are thrilled to be able to add a generational talent to our lineup.”

LOL
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

Holy crap...some GMs made some interesting choices yesterday. Zito really putting his neck on the line here. Columbus being aggressive as well. Not saying it's going to work out but it makes for great banter. For Calgary, I guess they save some face with this move but in they end, they're going to need figure out who can score goals for them.

We can't assume the Flames won't try to keep Huberdeau so he's basically a rental, right? He's going to become one of the stars of next year's UFA class next summer. I say it again for the Flames...who is going to score goals for them? Huberdeau is a top setup man. Mangiapane is probably their best scorer left on the team...and they still have to sign him. It's easy to ignore Weegar in all this...can he be retained long term? Calgary does have a good pretty defense but Weegar is also the guy who basically crushed the Panthers' hopes against the Lightning by giving the puck away to Colton in Game 2.

Panthers' perspective...both Barkov and Huberdeau had underwhelming playoff performances last year. Both were very quiet against Tampa. On the other hand, Tkachuk was very quiet in Oilers series. Zito is making a statement but is he also setting himself up failure? It's very possible they still won't be good enough next year if they faced Tampa again. Getting swept and being totally outclassed by Tampa (and that's without Point)...I kinda respect Zito for making a bold move in response to that bad exit.

In the end...the Flames will probably lose Huberdeau (and maybe Weegar as well) and the Panthers can still be an also-ran in the Atlantic. This might be two teams shuffling deck chairs.
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:29 pm

Post by Lee »

Might need to go cheer for my boy here some night next year.
Handsome&FairMike
PostsCOLON 4810
JoinedCOLON Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Wolfville, NS

Post by Handsome&FairMike »

Banning did really well - don’t hate it for zito… but benning could literally revamp the franchise if he makes some savvy moves. Dubas loves weegar… thoughts on sandin + holl for weegar or something like that?
thom54
PostsCOLON 7459
JoinedCOLON Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:00 pm
LocationCOLON Kingston, ON

Post by thom54 »

i'd love that, don't think CGY does that - they're perpetually in win now mode
TheNudge
PostsCOLON 290

Post by TheNudge »

Forward Sasha Chmelevski has left the San Jose Sharks and has signed a one-year contract to play in the KHL with Ufa Salavat Yulayev in Russia.
hong57
PostsCOLON 7106
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:38 pm

Post by hong57 »

Shoalzie wroteCOLONHoly crap...some GMs made some interesting choices yesterday. Zito really putting his neck on the line here. Columbus being aggressive as well. Not saying it's going to work out but it makes for great banter. For Calgary, I guess they save some face with this move but in they end, they're going to need figure out who can score goals for them.

We can't assume the Flames won't try to keep Huberdeau so he's basically a rental, right? He's going to become one of the stars of next year's UFA class next summer. I say it again for the Flames...who is going to score goals for them? Huberdeau is a top setup man. Mangiapane is probably their best scorer left on the team...and they still have to sign him. It's easy to ignore Weegar in all this...can he be retained long term? Calgary does have a good pretty defense but Weegar is also the guy who basically crushed the Panthers' hopes against the Lightning by giving the puck away to Colton in Game 2.

Panthers' perspective...both Barkov and Huberdeau had underwhelming playoff performances last year. Both were very quiet against Tampa. On the other hand, Tkachuk was very quiet in Oilers series. Zito is making a statement but is he also setting himself up failure? It's very possible they still won't be good enough next year if they faced Tampa again. Getting swept and being totally outclassed by Tampa (and that's without Point)...I kinda respect Zito for making a bold move in response to that bad exit.

In the end...the Flames will probably lose Huberdeau (and maybe Weegar as well) and the Panthers can still be an also-ran in the Atlantic. This might be two teams shuffling deck chairs.
he's gonna set up my boy lindholm.
#91 - John Tavares
DApolloS
PostsCOLON 638

Post by DApolloS »

I dunno, I don't think Treliving is going to let Huberdeau and Weegar walk for nothing. He lost Gaudreau and managed to get a solid return for Tkachuk. I can see the Flames flipping both at the deadline. Hubs will probably get quite the haule for Calgary and Weegar won't be too far behind either. If they play their cards right, this could set up the Flames very well for a quick retool.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

Odd to see Klingberg sign for just 1 year, but should get plenty of opportunities in Anaheim
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

The Ducks have a lot of cap room...maybe you can flip him at the deadline. They're still a lottery team. I just didn't seem to hear a lot of buzz for Klingberg in free agency. He was by far the biggest prize on defense but teams seemed more content signing the "stay at home" guys. He just couldn't go back to Dallas with Oettinger and Robertson left to sign.

I'm convinced Kadri is going back to Colorado...they just need to figure out which contract they move. I figure it's Girard.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

Looking at CapFriendly right now...I'm kind of surprised to see so many teams with less than $5 million under the cap and several teams who are over right now. Teams with the most cap room probably aren't in a spot to make a bold signing like Klingberg. And would these teams even give him term?

For him, he can play the market next year. Probably will still be the best guy in next year's class on defense. You've got guys like Dumba, Sanheim, Orlov and Severson on expiring deals.
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to