JoinedCOLON Fri May 24, 2013 5:42 pm

Re: NHL Transactions, Injuries & Rumours

Post by CAM »

SuperMario wroteCOLON
The BBKL Insider wroteCOLON
Tony wroteCOLONMarleau > Giroux you east coast fuckers
you have what we call in leaf land 'blue blinders on'

marleau is the most overrated player in the NHL
For the role he is going to play on Team Canada, Marleau definitely > Giroux. Marleau-Bergeron will be one of the best PK units in the tournament.
agree. I think Giroux is just a bitch and the other players dont like him. He seems like a cocky dirty type player. Not Yzerman material.
The BBKL Insider
PostsCOLON 22628
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 8:46 pm
LocationCOLON San Juan, Puerto Rico

Post by The BBKL Insider »

girouz might be a c-word, but i still think he's better than Marleau
Tony
PostsCOLON 11222
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 10:29 pm
LocationCOLON Nevada

Post by Tony »

When he scores 30 goals in a season, get back to me
Click banner to view current roster and picks
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044
JoinedCOLON Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 am

Post by Nick »

Looking at #: Choke show Marleau compared to G who brings it in the playoffs...
Robin Hood
PostsCOLON 13589
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:09 pm

Post by Robin Hood »

To call either of Marleau or Thornton a choke has got to be one of the stupidest characterizations ever. Likely just impacted by mainstream media.
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044

Post by Nick »

Shiv you think Marleau has brought 'it' in the playoffs to a similar level that G has? Jumbo has a few series where he has for sure, just not sure I've seen patty up his game and intensity the same way.
Robin Hood
PostsCOLON 13589

Post by Robin Hood »

Nick wroteCOLONShiv you think Marleau has brought 'it' in the playoffs to a similar level that G has? Jumbo has a few series where he has for sure, just not sure I've seen patty up his game and intensity the same way.
Do you know how many conference finals Marleau has led the Sharks to? THREE. One of them was before Joe was a Shark. I have to look this up but I think the Sharks also have the most Playoff rounds won or are top 3 in that category since 2003-2004 (all during Marleau years).

The Marleau/Thornton bias is absolutely ridiculous. It isn't EASY to win a cup even if you're a President's Trophy winner. To get to the Conference Final 3 times is a major accomplishment.

Also, what exactly has Giroux done in the playoffs to classify him as a better performer than Marleau in pressure situations? One finals appearance on a team led by M Rich, Carter, Pronger, Timonen, Briere (he was a Sophomore that year I think). After that one series win vs the Penguins. Anything else I'm missing?

Yes, he's younger but that is absolute bias in your statement and shows that you are a fan of Giroux.

If you said you think Giroux is a better player right now, I could give your argument some respect. But not what you said instead.
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044

Post by Nick »

you gotta re-watch the Flyers 09-10 run to remind yourself the role G played. He scored the shootout goal that got them into the playoffs (Not denying that was Richard & Pronger's team, DannyB scored a ton too), Carter was no where to be seen but G was doing 18+ a game, 21 points in as you mentioned, his sophomore (rookie-ish) year…. since then his role has only increased, scoring 29 points in the next 21 playoff games - obviously highlighted by an unreal, reputation building, series versus the penguins.

He's a ppg+ regular season player, and he exceeds that play in the playoffs.
bills09
PostsCOLON 9280
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:10 pm
LocationCOLON Pickering, Ontario

Post by bills09 »

Trade me that bum giroux
Arian The Insider
PostsCOLON 7304
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:05 pm

Post by Arian The Insider »

i feel like people in this league underrate giroux because nick is such a big fan of his and owns him in bbkl lol

giroux is a pimp
Click Oilers image below for full team roster
Robin Hood
PostsCOLON 13589

Post by Robin Hood »

Nick wroteCOLONyou gotta re-watch the Flyers 09-10 run to remind yourself the role G played. He scored the shootout goal that got them into the playoffs (Not denying that was Richard & Pronger's team, DannyB scored a ton too), Carter was no where to be seen but G was doing 18+ a game, 21 points in as you mentioned, his sophomore (rookie-ish) year…. since then his role has only increased, scoring 29 points in the next 21 playoff games - obviously highlighted by an unreal, reputation building, series versus the penguins.

He's a ppg+ regular season player, and he exceeds that play in the playoffs.
See, I like Giroux. That playoff run is etched in my memory btw. But he was the 5th, maybe even 6th, best player on his team IMO. Carter, Richards, Pronger for SURE were money for the Flyers. Timonen helped hold the fort and that was back when Briere was still a terrific player.

But that is all besides the point. The debate was never whether Giroux is good. The debate was over this statement:
Nick wroteCOLONLooking at #: Choke show Marleau compared to G who brings it in the playoffs...
To say - take Giroux over Marleau because he is a better player --> I can live with this statement (I'd personally rather have Marleau for our bottom 6 because Bergeron-Marleau and Toews-whoever will be the two best PKing units in the tournament).

But this Marleau is a "choker" bias is absolutely ridiculous. Which is what my earlier post was about. Marleau has shown up over and over and over again. 3 Conference Finals, several President's Trophies and he has been the best player or second best player on his team for almost a decade.

We treat Mats Sundin like a HERO in this market and we treasure our playoff run when we lost to CAR in the conference finals around here. Does anyone call Sundin a choker? There were 1-2 years the Leafs were real contenders in the early 2000s. Maleau has done that 3 times and once WITHOUT Thornton lol. They've won more playoff series than any other team since 2003-2004 (again need to check this stat). No team has been to the Conference finals 3 times since then other than SJS and PIT.

And again, it's not EASY to win a cup...Getting to 3 conference finals shows an incredible amount of consistency. To win a cup so many bounces need to go your way. Look at Chicago last year. Down 3-1 to Detroit. With overtime games, that could have easily ended their cup run. Only LAK in recent years has just trampled every playoff series on the way to a Cup. Boston --> Game 7 OT vs MTL in Round 1. So many examples like this.

Just look at Pittsburgh...How many times since 2009 has every person predicted for them to reach the final? Crosby-Malkin + their entire supporting cast can't get them back there for 4 years in a row now!

I think the Sharks are victims of what is inevitable when you play out so many seasons in a league. They are the "outlier" that shows up when you plot stanley cup contenders over the course of history. Not because they're a bad team. but just because it just worked out that way.

They've lost to ANA when they were the (1) Seed and ANA was the (8) seed. Ryan-Getzlaf-Perry + Selanne + Pronger + Niedermayer etc. That was not an 8th seed team. They've lost to the eventual Cup Champions in CHI. The times they didn't make it to the conference final, they lost multiple times to the team that came out of the Western Conference..These things don't get accounted for when you look at history.

All of this, along with my previous post, are just a long-winded way of saying that anyone who calls Marleau or Thornton a "choker" either hasn't looked at their stats, or the sharks' performance over the years, or is influenced by mainstream media, or is just playing favourites.

Btw, Patrick Marleau's hockeyDB in case you want to look: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... ?pid=23724
bills09
PostsCOLON 9280
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:10 pm
LocationCOLON Pickering, Ontario

Post by bills09 »

Ryan Johansen break out player of the year on pace for 33g 64p
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

We never finished our talk for ryjo+!
anton
PostsCOLON 7111
JoinedCOLON Mon May 10, 2010 10:03 pm
LocationCOLON Orange County

Post by anton »

got to watch ryjo up close on thursday when they played the Kings. kid is baby-faced as shit but BIG. he and murray were tossing sauce passes back and forth during warmups and he threw like 30 fuckin perfect ones in a row. he seemed really tentative in the corners though - i think he's had shoulder issues in the past so might be making his hesitant.
Robin Hood
PostsCOLON 13589

Post by Robin Hood »

Babcock's response to Ed Snider's comments.

Video: http://kuklaskorner.com/hockey/comments ... -Hockey%29
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

If Giroux was this good from Day 1 of this year, he makes the team hands down. The deepest position of any for any nation in this tournament (along with Finland's goalies) is Canada's centers. Someone talented was going to be left behind.
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 4:22 pm
LocationCOLON Mississauga, Ontario
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

SuperMario wroteCOLON
Nick wroteCOLONShiv you think Marleau has brought 'it' in the playoffs to a similar level that G has? Jumbo has a few series where he has for sure, just not sure I've seen patty up his game and intensity the same way.
Do you know how many conference finals Marleau has led the Sharks to? THREE. One of them was before Joe was a Shark. I have to look this up but I think the Sharks also have the most Playoff rounds won or are top 3 in that category since 2003-2004 (all during Marleau years).

The Marleau/Thornton bias is absolutely ridiculous. It isn't EASY to win a cup even if you're a President's Trophy winner. To get to the Conference Final 3 times is a major accomplishment.

Also, what exactly has Giroux done in the playoffs to classify him as a better performer than Marleau in pressure situations? One finals appearance on a team led by M Rich, Carter, Pronger, Timonen, Briere (he was a Sophomore that year I think). After that one series win vs the Penguins. Anything else I'm missing?

Yes, he's younger but that is absolute bias in your statement and shows that you are a fan of Giroux.

If you said you think Giroux is a better player right now, I could give your argument some respect. But not what you said instead.
I have watched almost every single Sharks playoff game since 2003 and this simply isn't true. Marleau was dominant pre-lockout and even had three post-season hat tricks in the same playoffs (two against Colorado IIRC). Since then he has taken a back seat to Thornton and Pavelski, this is hardly a criticism, but G has been the guy in every playoff series he has played. Ask any Flyers fan who lead that team to the SC finals, and they will all say G. Obviously the management group concurs because it was G not Richards or Carter who they elected to build around.
anton
PostsCOLON 7111

Post by anton »

ohai kareem!
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 4:22 pm
LocationCOLON Mississauga, Ontario
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Also Giroux is a comparable, if not even better defensive player than Marleau, it amazes me how little credit G gets for his two way game, he is very strong in his own end, and one of the better faceoff men in the game over the last four seasons.
anton
PostsCOLON 7111

Post by anton »

kareem?
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to