NHL Transactions, Injuries & Rumours

Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
BUTTON_POST_REPLY
Bruyns
PostsCOLON 7177
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 am

Re: NHL Transactions, Injuries & Rumours

Post by Bruyns »

When we are comparing Phil to the elite players in the NHL even if others are deemed better at least he is in good company.

I agree with others that his perception is not equal to reality. People still think he is a floater who is all offense and doesn't back check. People that watch him regularly are aware of how much the other facets of his game have developed over the past couple seasons. He still has room for improvement and will never be as complete a player as Giroux or Toews, but he is damn good and well worth that contract.
The BBKL Insider
PostsCOLON 22628
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 8:46 pm
LocationCOLON San Juan, Puerto Rico

Post by The BBKL Insider »

Matt Bruyns is like a lawyer who comes in and shuts both sides up, then walks out of the court room and fucks the hottest chick he see's.
Robin Hood
PostsCOLON 13589
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:09 pm

Post by Robin Hood »

I don't understand why people feel the need to point out Giroux' all round game for comparison? Obviously Giroux is more all-rounded. He's a Center and his responsibilities are different. Has nothing to do with the fact that Kessel on the ice changes the game just as much as Giroux.
Bruyns
PostsCOLON 7177

Post by Bruyns »

Fair Deals Steve wroteCOLONMatt Bruyns is like a lawyer who comes in and shuts both sides up, then walks out of the court room and fucks the hottest chick he see's.
lol
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 4:22 pm
LocationCOLON Mississauga, Ontario
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Arian wroteCOLONI don't think he's worth more than 5.5 tbh but I can't see a guy taking 1 mil less annually than his current contract considering his age and role on the team. We'll probably lock him up at that number.
You're an idiot then...
Arian The Insider
PostsCOLON 7304
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:05 pm

Post by Arian The Insider »

MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON
Arian wroteCOLONI don't think he's worth more than 5.5 tbh but I can't see a guy taking 1 mil less annually than his current contract considering his age and role on the team. We'll probably lock him up at that number.
You're an idiot then...
so you think he's a #1 d-man? I view him as a good #2 personally
Click Oilers image below for full team roster
Robin Hood
PostsCOLON 13589

Post by Robin Hood »

Arian wroteCOLON
MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON
You're an idiot then...
Phaneuf is a bonafide #1. He is worth every penny of 6.5-7, maybe even 7.5.
Robin Hood
PostsCOLON 13589

Post by Robin Hood »

I feel like we Leaf fans are too gun shy to admit how good our players are or are just unaware of it after years of disappointment.

Kessel vs Giroux - DUH! Giroux is more complete. That's why Bozak is on Kessel's line. That doesn't mean Giroux is better. The things that make Giroux complete can be brought about with other players.

Dion - we still do not understand how elite Dion is. He is a tier below Zdeno Chara/Shea Weber but he is right there with the rest. People go ga-ga over many players Phaneuf is easily better than. I've said this before and I'll say it again. Check his advanced stats. He is elite.
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Arian wroteCOLON
MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON
You're an idiot then...
I don't think anything... The evidence all points to Dion Phaneuf being a top defenceman, he plays some of the toughest minutes in the NHL with bad defense partners, and still produces a positive CORSI rating, with top 10 production from the back-end. Not to mention anchoring the second best PK in the NHL last season. Dion Phaneuf might not be a franchise defenceman, but he is definitely a #1 defenseman. By my count there are only 8 teams in the NHL who wouldn't employ Phaneuf as their top guy: STL (Pietrangelo), LAK (Doughty), CHI (Keith), BOS (Chara), NSH (Weber), MIN (Suter), OTT (Karlsson) and MTL (Subban). Some would argue PIT as well, but I don't buy that Letang is a better defenceman than Phaneuf.
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

SuperMario wroteCOLONI feel like we Leaf fans are too gun shy to admit how good our players are or are just unaware of it after years of disappointment.

Kessel vs Giroux - DUH! Giroux is more complete. That's why Bozak is on Kessel's line. That doesn't mean Giroux is better. The things that make Giroux complete can be brought about with other players.

Dion - we still do not understand how elite Dion is. He is a tier below Zdeno Chara/Shea Weber but he is right there with the rest. People go ga-ga over many players Phaneuf is easily better than. I've said this before and I'll say it again. Check his advanced stats. He is elite.
I will never understand the wide spread hate for Dion Phanuef, it's irrational and unlike anything I have ever seen before.
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044
JoinedCOLON Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 am

Post by Nick »

I wouldn't call letang, or subban better than Phanuef, they are more offensive - but anchoring an elite PK or playing huge shutdown minutes they do not. Nor do they bring the leadership aspect.
Mike
Test 2
PostsCOLON 11390
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 7:08 pm

Post by Mike »

Subban's also like 12, he could turn into a leader still.
Robin Hood
PostsCOLON 13589

Post by Robin Hood »

MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON
SuperMario wroteCOLONI feel like we Leaf fans are too gun shy to admit how good our players are or are just unaware of it after years of disappointment.

I will never understand the wide spread hate for Dion Phanuef, it's irrational and unlike anything I have ever seen before.
I think it stems from the second half of the year 2 years ago when we shat the bed and fell out of the playoffs. But you look at guys like Edler, Ekman-Larsson, Doughty and the same people who think Dion isn't a "true #1" would call those guys #1s with ease, which is absolutely ridiculous.
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Nick wroteCOLONKessel scored more than Giroux last year... that's about the only thing he'll ever compete with Giroux on. Really driving up that leaf fan reputation with this comparison. Leadership, compete level, defensive play, all miles apart.

Not shocking that Randy would praise Phil during contract talks...LOL, he's a immature little brat that needs coddling (from the outside at least). And Jake has never been in Randy's good-books, aside from playing him 22min+ a night. Dunno why I should like a player because the coach does though.
I was with you until you started talking about leadership... I really dislike when fans comment on something they have no direct knowledge of. Unless you are in the locker room of both the Leafs and Flyers, you have no idea how Kessel and Giroux's leadership styles compare. For all we know Kessel is the quiet leader of the Leafs. I didn't even bother reading the second half of your post. You're better than that Nick.
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

SuperMario wroteCOLON
MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON

I think it stems from the second half of the year 2 years ago when we shat the bed and fell out of the playoffs. But you look at guys like Edler, Ekman-Larsson, Doughty and the same people who think Dion isn't a "true #1" would call those guys #1s with ease, which is absolutely ridiculous.
No, this has been a thing with Phaneuf even before he became a Leaf. The one theory that kinds of makes sense to me, courtesy of Shooker, is that the criticism towards Phaneuf is a byproduct of that unfair and unrealistic hype that was placed on him as a rookie. When you are billed as the next great defence man, I can see why anything less would be perceived as negative.
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044
JoinedCOLON Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 am

Post by Nick »

He's a leader on the ice and in name - will respect and acknowledge a complete lack of information frpm the dressing room.
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Nick wroteCOLONHe's a leader on the ice and in name - will respect and acknowledge a complete lack of information frpm the dressing room.
I am more willing to accept that argument, his on ice play and effort level speaks for itself. But I think you would also agree that there are players who maybe don't look like they are trying, but are giving it everything they have.
Robin Hood
PostsCOLON 13589

Post by Robin Hood »

I just don't see how you can compare certain players. E.g. comparing Kovalchuk to Henrik Sedin and then citing Henrik's ability to playmake as the difference is silly. Kessel gets as many points as Centers from the wing. Majority of players that lead the Top 50 in points in the NHL are Centers. For a Winger to consistently be in the Top 10 is not a joke.

Last year names included St. Louis, Ovechkin, Kane, Kunitz, Hall with Kessel. 3 are treated as hands-down franchise players. 1 was a franchise player. Kunitz plays with Crosby.

The season before that it was Kovalchuk, Neal with Kessel.

The year before that: Daniel, MSL, Perry, Iginla, Ovechkin, Selanne.
Bruyns
PostsCOLON 7177

Post by Bruyns »

MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON
SuperMario wroteCOLON
MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON

No, this has been a thing with Phaneuf even before he became a Leaf. The one theory that kinds of makes sense to me, courtesy of Shooker, is that the criticism towards Phaneuf is a byproduct of that unfair and unrealistic hype that was placed on him as a rookie. When you are billed as the next great defence man, I can see why anything less would be perceived as negative.

That is a good theory and I agree. I remember disliking Phaneuf when he was a Flame mostly because of the huge amount of attention he received at the WJs and then how he burst onto the scene in the NHL and people were crowning him a future Norris top D and I thought the praise was over the top and undeserved.

Loved him from the instant we made the trade though since I can be a homer and he has played well for the Leafs and as mentioned his advanced stats are much better than his +- that he is criticized for. I think he will get 7M and Im fine with that and if he takes less I will consider it a discount and see more value in that contract in comparison to what other top D will sign for with the cap predicted to keep increasing the next few years with revenue from sources like all the extra outside games they are having.
Mike
Test 2
PostsCOLON 11390
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 7:08 pm

Post by Mike »

happy to see Fraser back fighting, was concerned he might've given it up.
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to