Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
BUTTON_POST_REPLY
Phion Keneuf
PostsCOLON 844
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:51 pm

Re: NHL Transactions, Injuries & Rumours

Post by Phion Keneuf »

Fair Deals S wroteCOLONPer Patty Roy
Seth Jones could be the next Cam Barker, Nathan Mackinnon is ready today. Teams dont draft players they need, they draft the best player available. Luckily for Pittsburgh they took Malkin and not Barker, even though they needed the defenseman.
Really stupid thought process haha ...
The BBKL Insider
PostsCOLON 22628
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 8:46 pm
LocationCOLON San Juan, Puerto Rico

Post by The BBKL Insider »

Phion Keneuf wroteCOLON
Seth Jones could be the next Cam Barker, Nathan Mackinnon is ready today. Teams dont draft players they need, they draft the best player available. Luckily for Pittsburgh they took Malkin and not Barker, even though they needed the defenseman.
Well he is French

that said, i dont think it's stupid at all....
Robin Hood
PostsCOLON 13589
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:09 pm

Post by Robin Hood »

Phion Keneuf wroteCOLON
It's stupid to compare Barker to Jones yes lol. But he makes a very valid point. D-Men drafted in the top 3 in the last 20 years:

2012: Ryan Murray (2nd)
2011: None
2010: Erik Gudbranson (3rd)
2009: Victor Hedman (2nd)
2008: Drew Doughty (2nd), Zach Bogosian (3rd)
2007: None
2006: Erik Johnson (1st)
2005: Jack Johnson (3rd)
2004: Cam Barker (3rd)
2003: None
2002: Jay Bouwmeester (3rd)
2001: None
2000: None
1999: None
1998: Brad Stuart (3rd)
1997: None
1996: Chris Phillips (1st), Andrei Zyuzin (2nd)
1995: Bryan Berard (1st), Wade Redden (2nd), Aki Berg (3rd)
1994: Ed Jovanovski (1st), Oleg Tverdovsky (2nd)
1993: Chris Pronger (2nd)
Mike
Test 2
PostsCOLON 11390
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 7:08 pm

Post by Mike »

Juha Hiitelä @jhiitela 7m
Another news coming from Finland, per @Chriso_Vuojarvi: Leo Komarov says he wants to return to NHL after next season. #Leafs

JP Mikola @JPMikola 8m
Komarov also said he wants to play in ppunit, and Olympics. That's 2 reasons to choose KHL. In #Leafs the Role wouldn't be in 1st/2nd line.
Robin Hood
PostsCOLON 13589

Post by Robin Hood »

If you look at the draft pool for forwards in the same years, you will find a far higher occurence of game breakers.
The BBKL Insider
PostsCOLON 22628

Ken Holland once said (at the draft about 2 or 3 years ago when TSN was interviewing him) that he's a firm believer you draft quality dman in the 2nd rounds and later.

The first round is for high end talented forwards.....i'm not sure if he lived up to these comments, i haven't checked his draft history, but it seems to make sense.
Tony
PostsCOLON 11222
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 10:29 pm
LocationCOLON Nevada

Post by Tony »

I agree with him
Click banner to view current roster and picks
The BBKL Insider
PostsCOLON 22628

The last 2 dmen det picked in the first round was Kindl is 2005 and Smith in 2006....since then everyone else has been a forward...i'm not sure if Holland was the GM back then.
Robin Hood
PostsCOLON 13589

Post by Robin Hood »

Fair Deals S wroteCOLONKen Holland once said (at the draft about 2 or 3 years ago when TSN was interviewing him) that he's a firm believer you draft quality dman in the 2nd rounds and later.

The first round is for high end talented forwards.....i'm not sure if he lived up to these comments, i haven't checked his draft history, but it seems to make sense.
It makes an insane amount of sense. Effective d-men are easier to find than #1 Cs and #1 Ws. #1 D-men take work. Using a #1 pick on D is very very risky. You have to be sure. Even look at a guy like GudB. I'd say his hype was about as high as Jones is this year or comparable at least. GudB is still trying to find his way.
The BBKL Insider
PostsCOLON 22628

SuperMario wroteCOLON
Fair Deals S wroteCOLONKen Holland once said (at the draft about 2 or 3 years ago when TSN was interviewing him) that he's a firm believer you draft quality dman in the 2nd rounds and later.

It makes an insane amount of sense. Effective d-men are easier to find than #1 Cs and #1 Ws. #1 D-men take work. Using a #1 pick on D is very very risky. You have to be sure. Even look at a guy like GudB. I'd say his hype was about as high as Jones is this year or comparable at least. GudB is still trying to find his way.
If anything Gudbranson had an advantage, he has a mean streak.

Jones reminds me a lot of EJ, great skating and puck skills, but lacks a mean streak. He doesn't have that on-ice presense a guy like Pronger, Dion or Chara gets.
Sensfanjosh
PostsCOLON 4043
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Post by Sensfanjosh »

You also need to take into account D men even ones with #1 potential take a long time to reach that potential whereas impact forwards can make an impact in a year or two. Draft that impact forward and get his scoring for cheap for two or three years on an ELC and just sign an effective veteran D through free agency.
Chuck Norris
PostsCOLON 4954
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:17 pm

Post by Chuck Norris »

Bryz officially being bought out according to Bob Mackenzie
The BBKL Insider
PostsCOLON 22628

Chuck Norris wroteCOLONBryz officially being bought out according to Bob Mackenzie
FDS broke that news yesterday....i guess bobby mac should follow me on twitter
Chuck Norris
PostsCOLON 4954
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:17 pm

Post by Chuck Norris »

Fair Deals S wroteCOLON
Chuck Norris wroteCOLONBryz officially being bought out according to Bob Mackenzie
FDS broke that news yesterday....i guess bobby mac should follow me on twitter
I knew at least a month ago, whats your point? :P
Mike
Test 2
PostsCOLON 11390
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 7:08 pm

Post by Mike »

Reimer to Philly for Read (I would like to have happen)
The BBKL Insider
PostsCOLON 22628

Mike wroteCOLONReimer to Philly for Read (I would like to have happen)
Me too, i guess Reimer is pretty pissed off at the leafs organization, i can't see him sticking around tbh
shooker
PostsCOLON 4382
JoinedCOLON Thu May 13, 2010 11:05 am

Post by shooker »

Fair Deals S wroteCOLON
Mike wroteCOLONReimer to Philly for Read (I would like to have happen)
Me too, i guess Reimer is pretty pissed off at the leafs organization, i can't see him sticking around tbh
as much as I dislike Reimers play, he is a class kid. He knows he will get 25+ games and get his chance to prove he deserves another chance somewhere else. I doubt he complains and I know the leafs will want him as insurance in case Bernier can't hack it.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

Fair Deals S wroteCOLONThe last 2 dmen det picked in the first round was Kindl is 2005 and Smith in 2006....since then everyone else has been a forward...i'm not sure if Holland was the GM back then.

Kronwall was also a 1st. Even going back to Jiri Fischer...if they get a defenseman they like in the 1st, they tend become pros. Anders Eriksson had a long career. Maxim Kuznetsov didn't amount to much but the majority of their 1st round defenseman turn out to be solid choices.

I find it interesting to see them taking a defenseman in mock drafts...I think they need a big forward and they should be able to get one in the middle of the 1st. They've got a lot of depth in the organization on defense but they don't have a lot of beef up front. They need to get a little bigger to deal with the East.
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

Reimer's amish he doesn't get mad
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044
JoinedCOLON Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 am

Post by Nick »

I question any GM that drafts on positional need.

Maybe way way down the priority list, but any GM thinking that short a term in regards to prospects should not be a GM.
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to