Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
BUTTON_POST_REPLY
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044
JoinedCOLON Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 am

Re: NHL Transactions, Injuries & Rumours

Post by Nick »

Chuck Norris wroteCOLON
Nick wroteCOLONHaven't really said my take on the leafs adding McClemment: When we take his statistics league-wide we see some bad news.

There are 308 forwards with 1000 or more own zone start and with adjusting for minutes of ice time (past 2 years) Jay sits 303rd in terms of goals against rate, a little better (but still crap) 270th in terms of opponents goals for toi.

So, to summarize that, Jay played often with solid defensive teammates, lined up against weaker offensive opponents and still had a dreadful goals against average while he was on the ice.

Now, that's the #; i actually think he's a little better than that, and sometimes the numbers can outright lie. But I think his game has gotten worse each year since 2008. He's probably better than Steckle in terms of 5v5 and the pk. Not going to complain, but not sure we got better.
The thing you forget is that McClement is one of the premier defensive forwards in the NHL right now. Night after night he's matched up against the teams top lines. Its no wonder the guy is like -25 every year when you're tasked with shutting down the Ovechkins, Malkins and Girouxs of the league. Why do you think he was acquired in the EJ deal a few years back? Colordao recognized the important skill set he brings to a team. One of the most underrated players in the league IMO! Very nice pick up by the Leafs.

That's not what the breakdown shows at all.McClement’s opposition was by far the weakest offensively that any Avalanche forward faced last season.

He played against less quality competition then others on the avs, and got scored against more. And it's actually even worse then just an internal avs comparison, he is the 6th worst in the league (by forwards that qualify) for Goals against rate. Other COL players have much better # than him. Jay's opponents averaged .92 goals for every 20 minutes he played; against other opposition his opponents averaged .737 goals for every 20 minutes played; significantly less than RoR opposition average of 0.79 which drops to .657 when Ryan's on the ice (just one example).

Player Name GA20..........OppGF20
LANDESKOG, GABRIEL 0.645..........0.787
O_REILLY, RYAN 0.657..........0.790
DUCHENE, MATT 0.780..........0.775
STASTNY, PAUL 0.812..........0.763
HEJDUK, MILAN 0.837..........0.762
JONES, DAVID 0.839..........0.760
KOBASEW, CHUCK 0.878..........0.746
MCCLEMENT, JAY 0.920..........0.737
Chris
PostsCOLON 3619
JoinedCOLON Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:06 pm

Post by Chris »

bills09 wroteCOLON
Chris wroteCOLONWorth mentioning, Radek Faksa is the first 2012 draftee to sign an ELC contract. Better for me, it's apparently the maximum.
not sure why thats a happy move.
3.8M for the first three years for Faksa ouchie.
I doubt its the max though
Cap.
Tony
PostsCOLON 11222
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 10:29 pm
LocationCOLON Nevada

Post by Tony »

Click banner to view current roster and picks
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

lol omg...
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 2:04 pm

Post by Shep »

Lmao. That guy got the unconfirmed rumor from one of the biggest Twitter rumour retards. Eklund-esque. While I'm sure the KHL has made a big offer, that source is a joke.
Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901

Post by Shep »

Cannot believe it has spiraled like it has. Just goes to show you people will believe anything they read.
Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

Funnier thing is that CBS allowed it to post it
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901

Post by Shep »

Though the KHL is a real possibility, it'll be the last resort. Semin and his agent have repeatedly stated they full intend on staying in the NHL. Usually they use the KHL as leverage, but they haven't even done that. Sure, a contract offer leaking from the KHL could be Gandler's doing, but publicly it's been NHL or bust.

If I lose Semin and Radulov this off-season to the KHL, I'm fucked.
Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
anton
PostsCOLON 7111
JoinedCOLON Mon May 10, 2010 10:03 pm
LocationCOLON Orange County

Post by anton »

shep i will help you lose your semin anytime
bma
PostsCOLON 2282
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:44 pm

Post by bma »

Shep has a pretty good fantasy team for the KHL.
Click banner for full assets/roster
GM Achievements:
2013/14 - WC Quarterfinalist (Colorado Avalanche)
2012/13 - BBKL Finalist and WC Champion (Columbus Blue Jackets)
2011/12 - WC Semi-Finalist (Columbus Blue Jackets)
Tony
PostsCOLON 11222
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 10:29 pm
LocationCOLON Nevada

Post by Tony »

I don't see it happening, but it's fun to watch Shep sweat
Click banner to view current roster and picks
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901

Post by Shep »

Tony wroteCOLONI don't see it happening, but it's fun to watch Shep sweat
Even if I 100% believe he'll sign in the NHL, I'll sweat it out until he officially signs.
Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
Sensfanjosh
PostsCOLON 4043
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Post by Sensfanjosh »

Take this with a grain of salt but few guys on hfboards are claiming NHL as well as local PITT radio is reporting Semin to Penguins on a one year deal will be announced tomorrow.
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901

Post by Shep »

Sensfanjosh wroteCOLONTake this with a grain of salt but few guys on hfboards are claiming NHL as well as local PITT radio is reporting Semin to Penguins on a one year deal will be announced tomorrow.
Saw that, we'll see. I wish it wasn't a fucking 1 year deal. Sick of those.
Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 4:22 pm
LocationCOLON Mississauga, Ontario
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Nick wroteCOLONThat's not what the breakdown shows at all.McClement’s opposition was by far the weakest offensively that any Avalanche forward faced last season.

He played against less quality competition then others on the avs, and got scored against more. And it's actually even worse then just an internal avs comparison, he is the 6th worst in the league (by forwards that qualify) for Goals against rate. Other COL players have much better # than him. Jay's opponents averaged .92 goals for every 20 minutes he played; against other opposition his opponents averaged .737 goals for every 20 minutes played; significantly less than RoR opposition average of 0.79 which drops to .657 when Ryan's on the ice (just one example).

Player Name GA20..........OppGF20
LANDESKOG, GABRIEL 0.645..........0.787
O_REILLY, RYAN 0.657..........0.790
DUCHENE, MATT 0.780..........0.775
STASTNY, PAUL 0.812..........0.763
HEJDUK, MILAN 0.837..........0.762
JONES, DAVID 0.839..........0.760
KOBASEW, CHUCK 0.878..........0.746
MCCLEMENT, JAY 0.920..........0.737
CORSI paints a much more attractive picture of Jay McClements defensive production, and quality of opponents then GA/20 or GF/20. Though I should caution one seasons worth of CORSI or GA/60 data is not nearly enough to accurately evaluate a players true (defensive) worth.

Furthermore, according to GA/60, McClement was vastly more effective in St. Louis then Colorado, I don't know whether that is indicative of a decline in play, a coincidence, or a byproduct of different coaches utilizing McClement differently, but it is interesting to note nonetheless.

P.S. Why did you use GA/20 rather than GA/60?
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044

Post by Nick »

Corsi is overly team based level of analysis also shown by team dominance of top of
Sorted - unless you believe 5 of the top 10 are canucks or redwings.

Ga/20 is a better measure because it is closer to what the best accomplish in a game - whereas 60 is close to 3 game.

I looks at jays stl # and he was awesome. Top 100 in ga/20 with strong opposition and weak line mates - different story in the last 2 years
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 4:22 pm
LocationCOLON Mississauga, Ontario
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Nick wroteCOLONCorsi is overly team based level of analysis also shown by team dominance of top of
Sorted - unless you believe 5 of the top 10 are canucks or redwings.

Ga/20 is a better measure because it is closer to what the best accomplish in a game - whereas 60 is close to 3 game.
CORSI has it's flaws, but it also measures possession better than any other advanced statistic, and it demonstrates that McClement is useful in limiting the oppositions possession, and zone time in the offensive zone. You can also use CORSI relative which measures how effective a player is in driving possession relative to the rest of his team.
Nick wroteCOLONI looks at jays stl # and he was awesome. Top 100 in ga/20 with strong opposition and weak line mates - different story in the last 2 years
I observed the same trend, my hypothesis is that McClement is better suited on the third line playing match-up minutes with offensively capable linemates (who can shelter some of his offensive pitfalls), then on the 4th line with scrubs and heavy special teams TOI.

In Colorado McClement was used sparingly in shutdown 5 on 5 situations, and heavily on the PK. Whereas in St. Louis McClement was the primary shutdown center, and routinely matched up against the oppositions best players.

Additionally, McClement's most frequent linemates in Colorado were Daniel Winnik and Cody McLeod. In St. Louis McClement was most often paired with Alexander Steen and BJ Crombeen. The latter is significantly more proficient at driving puck possession, which may explain McClement's improved effectiveness.
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044

Post by Nick »

I never considered his use in terms of puck control - he's consistently being referred to as a safe 4th line c who PKs - and the # say he's terrible at it.

So a quick glance suggests kulemin as an ideal linemate? See if both of them can regain form being used in the same way they were during their respective career highs. Damn Kareem there is almost too much logic here.

That entails more toi than I expected, or was portrayed to me. Will be interesting to see.
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901

Post by Shep »

Dmitry Chesnokov @dchesnokov

As some asked re: the 3 year $30m reported offer to Semin from the KHL - false on both the term and the money.
Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
shooker
PostsCOLON 4382
JoinedCOLON Thu May 13, 2010 11:05 am

Post by shooker »

Shep wroteCOLON
Dmitry Chesnokov @dchesnokov

As some asked re: the 3 year $30m reported offer to Semin from the KHL - false on both the term and the money.
false on term and money eh? more like a 5 year 340M then or what?
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to