Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
BUTTON_POST_REPLY
Bruyns
PostsCOLON 7177
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 am

Re: NHL Transactions, Injuries & Rumours

Post by Bruyns »

shooker wroteCOLON
MSP4LYFE wroteCOLONI'm convinced it was to free up money for Weiss who I believe the Leafs have already signed.
wouldn't that be tampering?

actually whats up with all this pre FA day discussion between teams? Horton/CBJ, Alfie/BOS etc. Is this an anomaly year where teams are allowed to talk to players before they are actual free agents? or is this something new in the CBA?
Yes the new CBA has a negotiating window where teams can speak to free agents, but nothing can be officially announced untill tomorrow. The NBA has a similar free agent talking period, for all we know there could be a bunch of players already agreeing to deals at this point.
Mike
Test 2
PostsCOLON 11390
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 7:08 pm

Post by Mike »

3x5.5 elias
shooker
PostsCOLON 4382
JoinedCOLON Thu May 13, 2010 11:05 am

Post by shooker »

SuperMario wroteCOLONThere is a 48 hour period before free agency starts this year where discussions are allowed
K
Tony
PostsCOLON 11222
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 10:29 pm
LocationCOLON Nevada

Post by Tony »

Bruyns wroteCOLON
shooker wroteCOLON
MSP4LYFE wroteCOLONI'm convinced it was to free up money for Weiss who I believe the Leafs have already signed.

actually whats up with all this pre FA day discussion between teams? Horton/CBJ, Alfie/BOS etc. Is this an anomaly year where teams are allowed to talk to players before they are actual free agents? or is this something new in the CBA?
Yes the new CBA has a negotiating window where teams can speak to free agents, but nothing can be officially announced untill tomorrow. The NBA has a similar free agent talking period, for all we know there could be a bunch of players already agreeing to deals at this point.

Get this man a BBKL team
Click banner to view current roster and picks
Robin Hood
PostsCOLON 13589
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:09 pm

Post by Robin Hood »

Mike wroteCOLON3x5.5 elias
Wow...
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 2:04 pm

Post by Shep »

Well, I assume they've been talking to Weiss (nothing leaked out?..).

Something must have come up over the last 24-48 hours, otherwise why not buy him out last week like Komisarek?
Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 4:22 pm
LocationCOLON Mississauga, Ontario
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Bruyns wroteCOLONSo pissed at Leafs management, there was no need to use this buyout. Give the guy a full season and see if bounces back first. Obviously the money is already spent and I worry part of it is going to pay Bozak 4.5ish and Grabo>Bozak IMO. Would have much preferred letting Bozak walk and not wasting a compliance buyout.

I hope I'm wrong and Nonis will make some good moves, but I'm really pessimistic now after that senseless buyout. I expect Grabovski to sign somewhere and actually see some offensive minutes and linemates, put up 50 points and make the Leafs look foolish.
The Leafs had to move Grabovski to make room for upgrades. I like Grabovski as much as the next guy, but he couldn't play with Kessel, and wasn't going to usurp Kadri as the #2. 5.5 for a 3rd line center is simply too much money, this move was also necessary to bring in Weiss who is an upgrade on Grabo, and capable of playing on the top line. The only way this move goes to shit is if the Leafs don't sign anyone or bring back Bozak, neither of which will happen, IMO.
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

shooker wroteCOLON

One, FA's can talk to teams from Wedensday to the open of FA. Two, teams tamper all the fucking time, how do you think deals are signed minutes after noon on July 1st? If you aren't tampering, you aren't in the loop.
Chuck Norris
PostsCOLON 4954
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:17 pm

Post by Chuck Norris »

SuperMario wroteCOLON
Wow...
FUCK. That is all.
Bruyns
PostsCOLON 7177

Post by Bruyns »

MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON
Bruyns wroteCOLONSo pissed at Leafs management, there was no need to use this buyout. Give the guy a full season and see if bounces back first. Obviously the money is already spent and I worry part of it is going to pay Bozak 4.5ish and Grabo>Bozak IMO. Would have much preferred letting Bozak walk and not wasting a compliance buyout.

I hope I'm wrong and Nonis will make some good moves, but I'm really pessimistic now after that senseless buyout. I expect Grabovski to sign somewhere and actually see some offensive minutes and linemates, put up 50 points and make the Leafs look foolish.
The Leafs had to move Grabovski to make room for upgrades. I like Grabovski as much as the next guy, but he couldn't play with Kessel, and wasn't going to usurp Kadri as the #2. 5.5 for a 3rd line center is simply too much money, this move was also necessary to bring in Weiss who is an upgrade on Grabo, and capable of playing on the top line. The only way this move goes to shit is if the Leafs don't sign anyone or bring back Bozak, neither of which will happen, IMO.
That's true if you believe Bozak to be an upgrade on Grabovski and I do not. I'm not convinced we sign Weiss and I think resigning Bozak is more likely. I also don't understand the Grabovski can't play with Kessel argument, he was never given the chance to play significant minutes with him and I was hoping this year was his chance. Kind of long article, but some good points why they could have tried it http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2013/03/2 ... sel-lupul/.

The biggest reason it might have failed are both players like to play a puck carrying type of game, but with the recent emergence of Kessel's playmaking ability I was curious if Grabovski returns to a 29 goal scorer with Phil setting him up.

I'm reserving judgement since we have lots of cap space and moves to come, but if we wanted to free up money I would have preferred buying out Liles and at least try Grabovski on the wing before buying him out for nothing.
thom54
PostsCOLON 7459
JoinedCOLON Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:00 pm
LocationCOLON Kingston, ON

Post by thom54 »

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Bruyns wroteCOLONThat's true if you believe Bozak to be an upgrade on Grabovski and I do not. I'm not convinced we sign Weiss and I think resigning Bozak is more likely. I also don't understand the Grabovski can't play with Kessel argument, he was never given the chance to play significant minutes with him and I was hoping this year was his chance. Kind of long article, but some good points why they could have tried it http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2013/03/2 ... sel-lupul/.

The biggest reason it might have failed are both players like to play a puck carrying type of game, but with the recent emergence of Kessel's playmaking ability I was curious if Grabovski returns to a 29 goal scorer with Phil setting him up.

I'm reserving judgement since we have lots of cap space and moves to come, but if we wanted to free up money I would have preferred buying out Liles and at least try Grabovski on the wing before buying him out for nothing.
Bozak is a third line center, IMO. If we bring him back I will be livid. As for Grabovski, the reason he could not work out on the first line was because he had no chemistry with Kessel whatsoever. It was evident in pre-season, and even moreso in the handful of games they played together. It's no coincidence that both Wilson and Carlyle didn't play Grabo next to Kessel, and they had the chance to see the two of them together more than anyone, including in practice. Apart from that, Grabovski is not good on the dot, and despite being a very good possession player, is not the best center in his own end, which is magnified next to Kessel.

I am certain that the Leafs have an upgrade (my belief is that it is Weiss), otherwise there is no incentive to move Grabovski. The Leafs would be creating a hole in the line-up for no reason whatsoever. If the solution was Bozak, this could have been done alot earlier.
Bruyns
PostsCOLON 7177

Post by Bruyns »

I hope you are right, I agree on Bozak and hope we don't have to watch another season of him as our #1 C
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Bruyns wroteCOLONI hope you are right, I agree on Bozak and hope we don't have to watch another season of him as our #1 C
Nonis would have to be an idiot for that to happen, and I don't believe for one second that Nonis is an idiot.
CAM
PostsCOLON 3734
JoinedCOLON Fri May 24, 2013 5:42 pm

Post by CAM »

SuperMario wroteCOLON
Wow...
lol, I dont normally do this Shiv but i had to quote you here....

Elias is a UFA this off season. So he's taking a pay cut with the devils.

You were right...lol
Last edited by 1 on CAM, edited 0 times in total.
Bruyns
PostsCOLON 7177

Post by Bruyns »

This article sums up my thoughts on the Grabovski buyout to a tee.

http://theleafsnation.com/2013/7/4/stup ... bought-out

I don't believe Nonis is an idiot, but can we call him stupid? hahaha
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Nonis isn't stupid if the freed up cap allows the Leafs to bring in an upgrade, you have to understand that with Grabo on the cap the Leafs didn't even have enough cap space to offer a player 5M. It's pretty hard to improve the center ice position with so much financial restraint.
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

Bruyns wroteCOLONThis article sums up my thoughts on the Grabovski buyout to a tee.

http://theleafsnation.com/2013/7/4/stup ... bought-out

I don't believe Nonis is an idiot, but can we call him stupid? hahaha
shooker definitely wrote that piece of garbage
Bruyns
PostsCOLON 7177

Post by Bruyns »

I hear you MSP4LYFE

I need to have a little more faith, but when you say "improve the center ice position" after we just bought out the best C on our roster it's a little puzzling and hard to defend as a smart move. If we don't sign Bozak and spend the $ on Weiss I will be less upset.

I'm a die hard, bleed blue Leaf fan so I will be cheering them on opening night regardless of how upset I am with personnel moves. I just like being an armchair GM and pretending I know what is better for the team than management does lol.
Last edited by 1 on Bruyns, edited 0 times in total.
shooker
PostsCOLON 4382
JoinedCOLON Thu May 13, 2010 11:05 am

Post by shooker »

You dont think that big ufa is clarkson by chance?
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to