BUTTON_POST_REPLY
Robin Hood
PostsCOLON 13589
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:09 pm

Re: So, with all these big names moving... [aka rosterbation

Post by Robin Hood »

Shep wroteCOLON
SuperMario wroteCOLON
Shep wroteCOLONRyan Miller had 1 elite season. Every other year is a SV% of .918 or lower and a 2.50+ GAA. He's overrated when discussed with the big dogs because of his one unreal season. He's a mediocre goalie on a mediocre team.
This is just plain wrong. I think people make the mistake of going after goalies who are good all season long. Miller has been lights out in the last two months of the season the past couple of years. Stats:

March, 9-2-1, 2.38 GAA, 0.921 SV%
April, 2-2-0, 2.51 GAA, 0.925 SV%

March - 7-4-1, 2.39 GAA, 0.921 SV%
April 1-0-0, 1.16 GAA, 0.966 SV%

March - 10-3-2, 2.17 GAA, 0.930 SV%
April 1-1, 3.44 GAA< 0.883 SV%

Miller is lights out in the last two months because BUF is amazing down the stretch when hunting down a playoff spot. The best goalies in BBKL aren't guys like Howard on DET because DET usually rested guys like Lidstrom in the final stretch of the regular season for the playoffs by not playing them as much. The best goalies are those that are on borderline playoff teams that find a way to make it - IE Brodeur, Miller, Quick.
How is it wrong? I am not talking about the last 2 months. Sure it's good for our playoffs and for you in the BBKL playoffs. But his numbers over the course of a season say he's average other than his .929 SV% season.
We only care about BBKL value here, Shep ;). And when it comes to that, Miller is elite.
hong57
PostsCOLON 7106
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:38 pm

Post by hong57 »

bcool wroteCOLON
MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON
bcool wroteCOLON
MSP4LYFE wroteCOLONThat is far from a middle of the pack team...
I know, I'm just being modest. It's easier to fly under the radar.
What difference does it make if people think you are elite or middle of the pack?
Their teams will try harder against me when I play them.
lol.. that's funny coz i actually think this way too =P when i play against teams i can beat.. i praying my guys don't perform as well so the next week my players can break out..
#91 - John Tavares
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 2:04 pm

Post by Shep »

Meh, I've learned that goalie stats are extremely volatile so having the cheapest tandem works best, and spend money elsewhere.
Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
anton
PostsCOLON 7111
JoinedCOLON Mon May 10, 2010 10:03 pm
LocationCOLON Orange County

Post by anton »

Shep wroteCOLONMeh, I've learned that goalie stats are extremely volatile so having the cheapest tandem works best, and spend money elsewhere.
ding ding ding ding ding
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 4:22 pm
LocationCOLON Mississauga, Ontario
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Shep wroteCOLONMeh, I've learned that goalie stats are extremely volatile so having the cheapest tandem works best, and spend money elsewhere.
Whoever came up with this philosophy is a genius.
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044
JoinedCOLON Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 am

Post by Nick »

MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON
Shep wroteCOLONMeh, I've learned that goalie stats are extremely volatile so having the works best, and spend money elsewhere.

cheapest tandem
very key component is the tandem.

In other news, I hate goalies.

In terms of the stretch run, so many variables. IMO Howard is part of one of the best tandems to have (supporting evidence being that I own and have not tried to change) - injuries made him unavailable for my stretch/playoff run last year. Which can happen to anyone (Flyers/Ducks/Wings for my systems in 3 straight years).
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

so.... with all this being said, the BEST tandem in nhl is....

capitals
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Nick wroteCOLON
MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON
Shep wroteCOLONMeh, I've learned that goalie stats are extremely volatile so having the works best, and spend money elsewhere.

cheapest tandem
very key component is the tandem.
Most backups are cheap, so the price for the entire tandem is a relative non-factor, with very few exceptions. Tim Thomas and Roberto Luongo come to mind, and neither are likely to backup next season.
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044

Post by Nick »

I meant to add emphasis to the importance of having the tandem, not to the cost of the backup
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Nick wroteCOLONI meant to add emphasis to the importance of having the tandem, not to the cost of the backup
I disagree, I think owning two goalies from the same team is overrated, and often detrimental. It is far more productive to go after the best backup goalie, rather than settle for the one who plays on the same team as your starter.
Last edited by 1 on MSP4LYFE, edited 0 times in total.
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044

Post by Nick »

MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON
Nick wroteCOLONI meant to add emphasis to the importance of having the tandem, not to the cost of the backup
I disagree, I thinking owning two goalies from the same team is overrated, and often detrimental. It is far more productive to go after the best backup goalie, rather than settle for the one who plays on the same team as your starter.

and when your starter goes down, but backup on other team isn't playing?
The BBKL Insider
PostsCOLON 22628
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 8:46 pm
LocationCOLON San Juan, Puerto Rico

Post by The BBKL Insider »

I like having goalies who play behind a good defense.
Tony
PostsCOLON 11222
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 10:29 pm
LocationCOLON Nevada

Post by Tony »

Fair Deals Steve wroteCOLONI like having goalies who play behind a good defense.
that's where I went wrong ...
Click banner to view current roster and picks
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Nick wroteCOLONand when your starter goes down
If your starting netminder goes down you are in trouble regardless, and a mediocre or bad backup goalie will not save you.
Nick wroteCOLONbut backup on other team isn't playing?
I prefer quality of minutes over quantity of minutes, and there is no guarantee that the backup will take full-reigns in the event of a long term injury. In fact, it is rather uncommon.
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044

Post by Nick »

Who Said long term? Missing 3gp (one week) happens regularly.
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Nick wroteCOLONWho Said long term? Missing 3gp (one week) happens regularly.
It makes absolutely no sense to quantify the merits of one method over another on a short term basis, but I will play along for the sake of discussion:

Just like a starter can go down with a tandem, a starter can go down in front of a quality back up on another team. Allowing you to pick up more starts, and quality ones at that. The potential also exists for a quality back-up to get hot, or supplant the starter entirely.

Alot of things can happen under a "what if" scenario, which is precisely why you don't make decisions based on them. You make decisions based on the assumption that everyone will stay healthy, and perform at or near their career rates.
tyler
PostsCOLON 1458
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 8:00 pm
LocationCOLON Vancouver, BC.

Post by tyler »

gooker wroteCOLONso.... with all this being said, the BEST tandem in nhl is....

capitals

Yeahhh budddyyy!!! under 1.8 million for my tandem.
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

That is incredible value... Though I'm not sure how good their defense will be under Oates.
bills09
PostsCOLON 9280
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:10 pm
LocationCOLON Pickering, Ontario

Post by bills09 »

Tony wroteCOLON
Fair Deals Steve wroteCOLONI like having goalies who play behind a good defense.
that's where I went wrong ...
ill gladly take Cam Ward off your hands.
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044

Post by Nick »

MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON
Nick wroteCOLONWho Said long term? Missing 3gp (one week) happens regularly.
It makes absolutely no sense to quantify the merits of one method over another on a short term basis, but I will play along for the sake of discussion:

Just like a starter can go down with a tandem, a starter can go down in front of a quality back up on another team. Allowing you to pick up more starts, and quality ones at that. The potential also exists for a quality back-up to get hot, or supplant the starter entirely.

Alot of things can happen under a "what if" scenario, which is precisely why you don't make decisions based on them. You make decisions based on the assumption that everyone will stay healthy, and perform at or near their career rates.

Your what-if scenarios are best (or improving) case. Planning for the best is flawed logic, you plan for the worst, hope for the best. Worst case your started goes down, then what?

or

What if the back-up behind your starter gets hot ?

The tandem system has backups in place for negative scenarios regarding your starter. No they are not likely to add huge value to your team, but they are there to save a complete disaster.

It's actually incredible the number of times you encounter the most obvious of errors, being unaccounted for. That is your own starter going down IMO.
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to