NHL Transactions, Injuries & Rumours

Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
BUTTON_POST_REPLY
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044
JoinedCOLON Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 am

Re: NHL Transactions - Injuries and More Injuries

Post by Nick »

I'm not denying Dean (D-Lo) signed Brayden to contract that could pay Brayden 3.11M, with a large portion of that being extremely unlikely, and it was designed to be that way (easily avoidable) in the first two seasons (actually for all 3). I'm saying I don't believe that is a unique contract situation; I believe a whole range of methods are used during the writing of bonuses in regards to how difficult they are to achieve. Finding out specific details on many contracts is tough, but do you assume all those 3.75M ELC's were getting that much? It really was a cap hit of a 900k contract first year (cushion in place for he 850k bonuses - not that he was that hard of a hit on the kings), 900k contract his year (cushion + no "B" -edit 1.75k no cushion-), and sounds like another 1.75M third year -
but to qualify he would have to have an All-Star season, finish among the league's point leaders and win a major award.
. Which sounds like my understanding of "B" bonuses....what that 25min/game for 82 games actually sounds like to me is #1 in TOI for forwards, which is what the requirement is in each year since the lockout.

bah phone and work stuff keep getting in the way!

Just a reminder that the actual NHL cap is not a starting total amount (how we calculate ours here in the BBKL), and I think that number breakdown above and in the TSN sources is simplifying how the actual NHL Club salary is calculated. The cap is calculated for the year starting on July 1st with a 184 day season - so each teams cap is a daily changing amount... it's based on being active, injured reserve or injured non-roster 5pm New York time (Page 357 for full-time player reference). So they start with 64.3Million to spend on a year, and not X million under the cap. Day 1 they spend the cap hit of the active & injured players divided by 184. From what I've read it would be entirely possible to spend more then half the cap in less then half the GP/days, as long as you don't spend (in averaged SPCs) over 64.3M over the 184 days.

what i mean by that, that the daily cap spent needs to average .349M, but there is nothing stopping a team (aside from actual practice and details of how to do it) from spending 0.5M for 92 days, as long as for the other 92 days they spend .198 --> quickly you can see how complicated that becomes and when you add in injuries+replacements+retroactive and call-ups, i know it all seems to be 'around' the topic - but what I'm trying to show here is that I have spent time thinking about this (and not one dimensionally ;))

If i recall correctly the NHLPA extended the CBA until 2012, meaning the bonus cushion is still in effect. As set out in article 50.5 (pg 198) (h) teams are allowed to exceed the salary cap by 7.5% of the ceiling in individual "A", "B" (and w/e the 35+ GP bonuses are called) bonuses. - thinking while writing here -> not the case for this years extension (page 217) (h). iii .C This means Brayden's cap-hit this year could potentially have been 3.11 had he met all conditions. Think Evander is actually costing the thrashers/jets 3.1M ? It's pure speculation because we don't know the contract details (bonuses in specific) but I'd be extremely shocked. And would wager that more then a few (not most, but many) of the 2m+ ELC's are similarly difficult to achieve, and similarly easy to be removed for the cap calculations.

If you don't want to read skip to here ->->
In short - thinking any of the ELC's impact the cap as much as they read as, or do in the BBKL is a fallacy IMO - and one I've brought up in the CC more then once (that we shouldn't count ELC contract bonuses, we're assuming they are met, when I'd wager they were not, and yet we don't count the "B" awards which we know were met). How simple do you think contract negotiations are? or how simple GMs/Agents are? These details are why contracts are done by professionals, and not fans saying "just sign him to 3.75M and be done with it" in regards to each 1st overall pick (or that years equivalent max). These ELC deals are easily the most complicated to work out in terms of fine print.
bills09
PostsCOLON 9280
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:10 pm
LocationCOLON Pickering, Ontario

Post by bills09 »

Nick ive told you 3 times now yes the cba was extended til 2012 but that is next year.
There is no Bonus Cushion in the nhl this season.......
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044

Post by Nick »

yes i said that too :lol:
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044

Post by Nick »

Cuntacular Chris wroteCOLONOuch. Brassard to the fourth line in Columbus.
just wondering where this is from.
Chris
PostsCOLON 3619
JoinedCOLON Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:06 pm

Post by Chris »

Nick wroteCOLON
Cuntacular Chris wroteCOLONOuch. Brassard to the fourth line in Columbus.
just wondering where this is from.
http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/content/ ... index.html

Will get to your post later.
Tony
PostsCOLON 11222
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 10:29 pm
LocationCOLON Nevada

Post by Tony »

Steckel to TO? I wouldn't have traded for him knowing this would happen ...
Click banner to view current roster and picks
Tony
PostsCOLON 11222
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 10:29 pm
LocationCOLON Nevada

Post by Tony »

son of a BITCH ... I swear to Christ I thought the season started tomorrow ... now I have to wait another fucking day. FUCK.
Click banner to view current roster and picks
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:29 pm

Post by Lee »

"Grabovski, Connolly, Lombardi, Steckel, Bozak & Dupuis. Brian Burke is either filming "The Human Centerpede", or someone's getting traded."
anton
PostsCOLON 7111
JoinedCOLON Mon May 10, 2010 10:03 pm
LocationCOLON Orange County

Post by anton »

good pickup for the 4th line C spot for virtually nothing. cant complain there.

grabo, lombardi/bozak, steckel are great 2nd, 3rd, and 4th line Cs

could a package of kadri/colborne + bozak + gunnarsson fetch a legit #1?

COL, im looking at you
bills09
PostsCOLON 9280
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:10 pm
LocationCOLON Pickering, Ontario

Post by bills09 »

why would Colorado do that..
armandtanzarian

Post by armandtanzarian »

I dont understand how Steckel can make the Leafs. The only thing he brings to a 4th line is Faceoffs. Thats it. period.
anton
PostsCOLON 7111
JoinedCOLON Mon May 10, 2010 10:03 pm
LocationCOLON Orange County

Post by anton »

his competition is dupuis, boyce, and zigomanis.

i think he's clearly a better option than dupuis and zigo. i like boyce, but steckel has the size that boyce lacks and the pk ability.

i think its also pretty evident that either bozak will be traded or lambo will play wing.
armandtanzarian

He does bring some nice size. I am just unsure. His competition in NJ was Bradley Mills and Pelley. He had a brutal camp and NJ is lucky to get a 4th for him.
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 2:04 pm

Post by Shep »

anton wroteCOLONhis competition is dupuis, boyce, and zigomanis.

i think he's clearly a better option than dupuis and zigo. i like boyce, but steckel has the size that boyce lacks and the pk ability.

i think its also pretty evident that either bozak will be traded or lambo will play wing.
He's not really better than Dupuis.

He's good on the draw, but he doesn't use his size and he's slow.
Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 4:22 pm
LocationCOLON Mississauga, Ontario
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

mr. bruin wroteCOLONI dont understand how Steckel can make the Leafs. The only thing he brings to a 4th line is Faceoffs. Thats it. period.
He's played alot of PK in the past for a guy who can't kill penalties...RW and Burke both claimed Steckel will be used on the pk, and help improve in that department, I tend to take their opinion, and SHTOI/G stats, over the opinion of some idiots on boredz.
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 4:22 pm
LocationCOLON Mississauga, Ontario
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

mr. bruin wroteCOLONHe does bring some nice size. I am just unsure. His competition in NJ was Bradley Mills and Pelley. He had a brutal camp and NJ is lucky to get a 4th for him.
Pelley didn't even make the team, his main competition was Mills and Henrique, but anyone with a brain can see that the reason he was moved was to make room for Sykora's 1 million dollar contract.
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 2:04 pm

Post by Shep »

Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
armandtanzarian

Lol, well anyone with a brain would see that NJ has approx 7 mil in cap space with Steckel included. So my brain wouldn't come to the same conclusion you did.
armandtanzarian

Colorado sends Stefan Elliott to the AHL and places Kyle Cumiskey, Brandon Yip and Mark Olver on IR
Chuck Norris
PostsCOLON 4954
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:17 pm

Post by Chuck Norris »

Montreal claims Blair Betts off waivers.
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to