Erik Karlsson - D

Negotiate your trades here.
Bruyns
PostsCOLON 7177
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 am

Re: Erik Karlsson - D

Post by Bruyns »

You’re right not sure why I assumed both leagues did. Surprised we don’t have more ppl pushing for it in that league too.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

ADHL doesn't have it.
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
TheNudge
PostsCOLON 290
JoinedCOLON Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:19 pm

Post by TheNudge »

Have you seen the detail of that Kane trade?

The Blackhawks retained 50 percent of Kane's remaining pro-rated salary cap charge, and the Coyotes made the cap math work for the Rangers by joining the trade as a third team and retaining 25 percent.

I decided to post under this thread since retention was a major topic of conversation.

If we decide to give the green light for the retention idea next year. I think following the nhl and being able to add a third team for cap purposes is quite interesting. Would it be to task demanding for the person in charge would be the main issue? Any thoughts on this matter ?
Florida Chris
PostsCOLON 2589
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 7:06 am

Post by Florida Chris »

TheNudge wroteCOLON Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:21 am Have you seen the detail of that Kane trade?

The Blackhawks retained 50 percent of Kane's remaining pro-rated salary cap charge, and the Coyotes made the cap math work for the Rangers by joining the trade as a third team and retaining 25 percent.

I decided to post under this thread since retention was a major topic of conversation.

If we decide to give the green light for the retention idea next year. I think following the nhl and being able to add a third team for cap purposes is quite interesting. Would it be to task demanding for the person in charge would be the main issue? Any thoughts on this matter ?

It would certainly increase activity, and likely increase the amount of time needed for bottom teams to turn around their roster, as they could now use cap space as a asset.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

Retention is very doable but I think the issue with some GMs is the idea of having salary retention for too many years into the future. The idea of only allowing salary retention on contracts with 2 or less years remaining is easier to manage.

On my side of things with Google, I can implement it pretty much any way you want. I use the CapFriendly salary figures in what we do but I can also set custom values for any player. I can create a separate asset that would be just for salary retention so they'd go towards a team's cap.

Can we do it? Absolutely.

Do we have enough support to do it? That still seems to be up for debate.
KapG
PostsCOLON 11908
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 5:46 pm
LocationCOLON Toronto (beach area)

Post by KapG »

I’m ok with salary retention these days I think as long as there is only a year or two left on the deal. Gotta keep it simple though
TheNudge
PostsCOLON 290

Post by TheNudge »

Shoalzie wroteCOLON Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:34 am Retention is very doable but I think the issue with some GMs is the idea of having salary retention for too many years into the future. The idea of only allowing salary retention on contracts with 2 or less years remaining is easier to manage.

On my side of things with Google, I can implement it pretty much any way you want. I use the CapFriendly salary figures in what we do but I can also set custom values for any player. I can create a separate asset that would be just for salary retention so they'd go towards a team's cap.

Can we do it? Absolutely.

Do we have enough support to do it? That still seems to be up for debate.
I would definitely back the idea of making the retention a maximum of two years. Now the main question would the second idea make things too complicated (potential of adding a team to make the cap work like Zona did)? I know some of you previously said that you didn’t want any player’s to be retained to a greater % of 50%. The main issue with this idea is the lenght of the contract retaining. Suck to say this but I think this idea is a great idea but for the contracts that are expiring. Maybe make it a clause in the retention by allowing a maximum of a three team cap retention only for expiring contracts.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

I'd prefer we simplify the system as much as possible:

1. Set a limit of the number of years remaining on the deal (2 years seems to be the consensus)

2. Limit the number of times salary can be retained on a player (Preferably twice; first deal being 50%/50% split and a second deal being 25%/25% split of the remaining 50%).

I'd prefer we don't get too cute with the percentage of salary retained but not I'm saying custom percentages is a lot of work on my end.
TheNudge
PostsCOLON 290

Post by TheNudge »

Shoalzie wroteCOLON Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:59 am I'd prefer we simplify the system as much as possible:

1. Set a limit of the number of years remaining on the deal (2 years seems to be the consensus)

2. Limit the number of times salary can be retained on a player (Preferably twice; first deal being 50%/50% split and a second deal being 25%/25% split of the remaining 50%).

I'd prefer we don't get too cute with the percentage of salary retained but not I'm saying custom percentages is a lot of work on my end.
Would you want to limit gm’s on the number of retention one is allowed?
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

In the NHL CBA, they limit 3 contract retentions per season. That seems more than reasonable to me.

You don't want it to get out of control. If we limit it to 2 years remaining, when one contract expires, that becomes an opportunity to retain salary on a different player next season.
Handsome&FairMike
PostsCOLON 4810
JoinedCOLON Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Wolfville, NS

Post by Handsome&FairMike »

Shoalzie wroteCOLON Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:59 am I'd prefer we simplify the system as much as possible:

I'd be for this idea. Probably would suggest simplifying it to only 1 team retaining, but if you think you can handle it on the spreadsheet Scott, I'll let you guide the level of complexity.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

I'd even say keep It to only 1 or 2 retainments to begin with as a test run. We could end up with so so many absolutely abysmal teams.

I'd prefer a conservative approach to begin with and possibly open it to full nhl rules later on. We've had a pretty great league here for years. The pandemic has slowed trading down but that itself will be solved in the next year or two as the cap begins to rise.
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
Welchie5
PostsCOLON 115
JoinedCOLON Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:40 pm

Post by Welchie5 »

I'm on board with implementing some cap retainment. I agree with Matthew, might be best to start simple - test the waters a bit - and then scale up if we find it is a) successful and b) not overly cumbersome on the back end
TheNudge
PostsCOLON 290

Post by TheNudge »

I like limiting the number of retention and I personally would set the max per team to 3.
Florida Chris
PostsCOLON 2589
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 7:06 am

Post by Florida Chris »

This with a limit 2-3 contract retentions per season looks pretty awesome. As a result though, the tradeoff, maybe should be stricter rules on not hitting games played.
KapG
PostsCOLON 11908
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 5:46 pm
LocationCOLON Toronto (beach area)

Post by KapG »

Florida Chris wroteCOLON Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:17 pm

This with a limit 2-3 contract retentions per season looks pretty awesome. As a result though, the tradeoff, maybe should be stricter rules on not hitting games played.
Was talking with thom about the games played thing while playing some Warzone the other day. You don’t want to penalize the rebuilding teams too much because there is no way to get talen but draft and trade in our league, but dropping one spot in the draft is a bit of a slap on the wrist.
DApolloS
PostsCOLON 638
JoinedCOLON Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:24 am

Post by DApolloS »

Welchie5 wroteCOLON Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:36 pm I'm on board with implementing some cap retainment. I agree with Matthew, might be best to start simple - test the waters a bit - and then scale up if we find it is a) successful and b) not overly cumbersome on the back end
If we start slow, I'd say implement 1 year max retention (expiring contracts) and max of 2 contracts. Do that for 1 season and see if it helps movement. And then go to phase 2 the following year, max 2 years, 2 or 3 contracts.
Bruyns
PostsCOLON 7177
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 am

Post by Bruyns »

DApolloS wroteCOLON Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:19 pm
Welchie5 wroteCOLON Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:36 pm I'm on board with implementing some cap retainment. I agree with Matthew, might be best to start simple - test the waters a bit - and then scale up if we find it is a) successful and b) not overly cumbersome on the back end
If we start slow, I'd say implement 1 year max retention (expiring contracts) and max of 2 contracts. Do that for 1 season and see if it helps movement. And then go to phase 2 the following year, max 2 years, 2 or 3 contracts.
I agree, I think one season test run to see if it accomplishes what we are looking for makes sense
DApolloS
PostsCOLON 638
JoinedCOLON Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:24 am

Post by DApolloS »

Bruyns wroteCOLON Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:15 pm
DApolloS wroteCOLON Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:19 pm
I agree, I think one season test run to see if it accomplishes what we are looking for makes sense
And also to see if The people who have to do the work behind the scenes don't mind doing it.
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to