PostsCOLON 11503
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 4:22 pm
LocationCOLON Mississauga, Ontario
CONTACTCOLON

Re: [2012] Entry Draft Discussion

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Shep wroteCOLON
MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON
Scott wroteCOLONHow isn't it close? Grigorenko is an unlimited ceiling and seems to make ridiculous plays so effortlessly. Yakupov is amazing, no doubt but IMHO in terms of talent.. naturally, I feel Grigs has more. Yakupov is just a tireless worker and is rewarded for it. It really is Ovechkin and Malkin all over again.
It's not close for a variety of reasons, the main one is effort and heart, Yakupov has loads of it, and Grigorenko has so little that some scouts have remarked their teams will not look at Grigorenko in the first round, nevermind the top 2. Yakupov also plays the body and drives the net, two elements Grigorenko lacks.

Further consider that Yakupov is as talented, if not more, and the decision becomes an easy one. Like I said above, if anyone challenges Yakupov in the future its Galchenyuk, contrary to popular opinion he is the most talented Russian in this draft class. Nail Yakupov has confessed on numerous occasions that he doesn't have the speed or hands of Gali, and unlike Grigorenko, Galchenyuk works hard, and plays a complete game.
That was one or two scouts. And likely somebody like Columbus who drafts horrifically.
It's more than one or two if an entire team refuses to take a certain player in the first round...
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 2:04 pm

Post by Shep »

MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON
Shep wroteCOLON
MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON
Scott wroteCOLONHow isn't it close? Grigorenko is an unlimited ceiling and seems to make ridiculous plays so effortlessly. Yakupov is amazing, no doubt but IMHO in terms of talent.. naturally, I feel Grigs has more. Yakupov is just a tireless worker and is rewarded for it. It really is Ovechkin and Malkin all over again.
It's not close for a variety of reasons, the main one is effort and heart, Yakupov has loads of it, and Grigorenko has so little that some scouts have remarked their teams will not look at Grigorenko in the first round, nevermind the top 2. Yakupov also plays the body and drives the net, two elements Grigorenko lacks.

Further consider that Yakupov is as talented, if not more, and the decision becomes an easy one. Like I said above, if anyone challenges Yakupov in the future its Galchenyuk, contrary to popular opinion he is the most talented Russian in this draft class. Nail Yakupov has confessed on numerous occasions that he doesn't have the speed or hands of Gali, and unlike Grigorenko, Galchenyuk works hard, and plays a complete game.
That was one or two scouts. And likely somebody like Columbus who drafts horrifically.
It's more than one or two if an entire team refuses to take a certain player in the first round...
That speaks more about the team then anything, then.

Pretty crazy claim IMO.
Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Shep wroteCOLONThat speaks more about the team then anything, then.

Pretty crazy claim IMO.
I think so too, but I've been wrong about a talented Russian prospect before.
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901

Post by Shep »

MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON

Pretty crazy claim IMO.
Oh so have I.

The one thing that will make me believe Grigorenko's laziness or lack of heart/effort is overblown, is his coach Patrick Roy.

Just a quote from the boards. Not that it is to be taken seriously, but they've seen more of Grigs than me and his relationship with Roy.
Patrick Roy HATES lazy/soft/uncompetitive players and has called out tons of them in the past yet he has consistently praised Grigorenko. I trust him more than some obscure anonymous scout.
Which I agree with. Roy is known for calling out his players that are not showing any effort or heart out there. The fact that he's always praising Grigs leaves me to believe it's been overblown and this one team's scouts are giving Grigs a bad name.

The only other mocks I've seen Grigs not being picked 2nd are ISS (known for being completely whacky and against the norm), Craig Button who lately I've decided is a complete hack, and that other mock you posted on Broads (forget where it's from).

Remember when Malkin was a lazy Russian going into the draft and Ovechkin was the hard-working sniper (Yakupov vs. Grigorenko). I think Malkin has proved all critics wrong.
Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Fair enough.
Peter
PostsCOLON 2048
JoinedCOLON Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:33 pm

Post by Peter »

Shep wroteCOLON
MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON

Pretty crazy claim IMO.
Oh so have I.

The one thing that will make me believe Grigorenko's laziness or lack of heart/effort is overblown, is his coach Patrick Roy.

Just a quote from the boards. Not that it is to be taken seriously, but they've seen more of Grigs than me and his relationship with Roy.
Patrick Roy HATES lazy/soft/uncompetitive players and has called out tons of them in the past yet he has consistently praised Grigorenko. I trust him more than some obscure anonymous scout.
Which I agree with. Roy is known for calling out his players that are not showing any effort or heart out there. The fact that he's always praising Grigs leaves me to believe it's been overblown and this one team's scouts are giving Grigs a bad name.

The only other mocks I've seen Grigs not being picked 2nd are ISS (known for being completely whacky and against the norm), Craig Button who lately I've decided is a complete hack, and that other mock you posted on Broads (forget where it's from).

Remember when Malkin was a lazy Russian going into the draft and Ovechkin was the hard-working sniper (Yakupov vs. Grigorenko). I think Malkin has proved all critics wrong.

Lol also read that same quote from hfboards
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044
JoinedCOLON Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 am

Post by Nick »

Malkin is still a moody Russian dangler - he's just in a good mood more often then not - but the dude still pouts about an hated being bumped
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901

Post by Shep »

Nick wroteCOLONMalkin is still a moody Russian dangler - he's just in a good mood more often then not - but the dude still pouts about an hated being bumped
Malkin has a career 1.22 PPG in the regular season, career 1.18 PPG in the playoffs, an Art Ross and a Conn Smythe.

I'll take that pouty Russian any day of the week.

The point is, he was labelled as lazy, no heart, etc. Look at the player he's become. I'd take that any day of the week with what label it comes with..
Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
Scott
PostsCOLON 7701
JoinedCOLON Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:21 pm
LocationCOLON London, Ontario

Post by Scott »

Absolutely Shep.. I remember the scouts bashing Pittsburgh for taaking Malkin at 2.. who is laughing now lol

BACK-TO-BACK BBKL CHAMPIONS!!! 2009-2010 & 2010-2011
Scott
PostsCOLON 7701

Post by Scott »

and I think Grigorenko is A LOT like Malkin. Same position and same style.

Sensfanjosh
PostsCOLON 4043
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Post by Sensfanjosh »

Here's another site that has Grigs down from 2nd, I just remembered seeing it, not taking sides on the debate.....

http://futureconsiderations.ca/top-rankings/
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Post by kyuss »

Scott wroteCOLONAbsolutely Shep.. I remember the scouts bashing Pittsburgh for taaking Malkin at 2.. who is laughing now lol
uhm, which scouts bashed Pitts for taking Malkin at 2? can't remember any here.
Scott
PostsCOLON 7701

Post by Scott »

kyuss wroteCOLON
Scott wroteCOLONAbsolutely Shep.. I remember the scouts bashing Pittsburgh for taaking Malkin at 2.. who is laughing now lol
Well, I remember reading a few articles after the draft where the writer quote a couple scouts. Obviously I can't remember exactly who.

kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

Scott wroteCOLON
kyuss wroteCOLON
Well, I remember reading a few articles after the draft where the writer quote a couple scouts. Obviously I can't remember exactly who.
ok, but there was consensus on Malkin at #2, so those questioning (or even bashing lol) Malkin at #2 were as few as those questioning Ovy over Geno at #1.
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044
JoinedCOLON Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 am

Post by Nick »

Ovy's draft position was clearly the right call.. he's dominated right up until this year, projecting 7 years after draft is probably past what even the best scouts believe is foreseeable. So many variables and confounds by this time.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

I was not arguing over who eventually deserved to be #1, just saying that Malkin was consensus at #2 as much as Ovy was at #1.
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:29 pm

Post by Lee »

Can't help but feel like I'm being trolled at this point.

Camper sent down
Shaw and Hayes going up and down like yoyos
Butler being scratched recently
Fehr being scratched
Nino being scratched
Butler Gervais and Montador injured
Daugavins being scratched
Hunter sent down
Injuries a plenty with the Rangers and Erixon still down
Hecht with a concussion
Parse out for the year

Hellllloooooooooooooo 4th overall...
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901

Post by Shep »

Ahh, GP going to hurt you eh Leester?

Looks like you can ignore my PM's ;)
Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
Chris
PostsCOLON 3619
JoinedCOLON Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:06 pm

Post by Chris »

Shep wroteCOLONAhh, GP going to hurt you eh Leester?

Looks like you can ignore my PM's ;)
Following teams are at risk:

Philadelphia Flyers
Carolina Hurricanes
Dallas Stars
Sensfanjosh
PostsCOLON 4043
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Post by Sensfanjosh »

So how does the GP count work, does it continue past the end of the regular season for non-playoff teams? Is it the combined total between GP and GGP or?
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to