BUTTON_POST_REPLY
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion

Post by Shoalzie »

CanadianRednek(TOR) wroteCOLONAlso has there ever been a college player go 1st? What are the chances he stays 3 more years, gets his degree, watchs Buffalo burn like it always does, and choose his preferred landing spot?

The last #1 (that I know of) to not go directly to the NHL was Erik Johnson...he played one year at Minnesota after he was drafted and then turned pro.

Rick DiPietro played at Boston University ahead of his draft year and went straight to the NHL at #1. And that worked out so great...
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
KapG
PostsCOLON 11908
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 5:46 pm
LocationCOLON Toronto (beach area)

Post by KapG »

I like your pick Monk, I was hoping he’d fall to 18
Monk
PostsCOLON 1762
JoinedCOLON Wed May 05, 2010 2:03 pm

Post by Monk »

He has some big upside with big risk too. Very curious to see where he is picked in the real draft, could be around 12 or late first.
foofnik
PostsCOLON 1572
JoinedCOLON Sun May 31, 2015 2:58 pm
LocationCOLON Long Island, New York

Post by foofnik »

Shoalzie wroteCOLON
CanadianRednek(TOR) wroteCOLONAlso has there ever been a college player go 1st? What are the chances he stays 3 more years, gets his degree, watchs Buffalo burn like it always does, and choose his preferred landing spot?

The last #1 (that I know of) to not go directly to the NHL was Erik Johnson...he played one year at Minnesota after he was drafted and then turned pro.

Rick DiPietro played at Boston University ahead of his draft year and went straight to the NHL at #1. And that worked out so great...
everyone hates on Rick and the contract, but you can't predict injuries. there have been many worse contracts signed across sports than his even though many like to chalk that as the worst ever.
foofnik
PostsCOLON 1572
JoinedCOLON Sun May 31, 2015 2:58 pm
LocationCOLON Long Island, New York

Post by foofnik »

Getting my ducks in a row here, if anyone wants to move up to 13 you have a little time here to shoot me something.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

foofnik wroteCOLON
Shoalzie wroteCOLON

everyone hates on Rick and the contract, but you can't predict injuries. there have been many worse contracts signed across sports than his even though many like to chalk that as the worst ever.
Certainly ended up being one of the worst ever. His and Yashin's. Suppose the Isles were just very bad at signing players at that time.
dave1959
PostsCOLON 5138
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:43 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario

Post by dave1959 »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
foofnik wroteCOLON
Shoalzie wroteCOLON

Certainly ended up being one of the worst ever. His and Yashin's. Suppose the Isles were just very bad at signing players at that time.
Let's not forget Alexandre Daigle
Sensfanjosh
PostsCOLON 4043
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Post by Sensfanjosh »

Rick D and Daigle were not busts though, DiPietro was a great goalie and then got hurt, Daigle never amounted to what everyone thought he was but he was a productive NHLer for a number of years.
Brian
PostsCOLON 322
JoinedCOLON Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:12 pm

Post by Brian »

I have to ask, because the same thing has happened a few times now:

Do people in this league really think it's a good trade to send someone a pick in the teens and expect to get a top-five pick in return? Like, if I offered you guys #15 for your #5 and a mid-round pick, you'd all jump all over that deal? Is this the upside down?
KapG
PostsCOLON 11908

Post by KapG »

Brian wroteCOLONI have to ask, because the same thing has happened a few times now:

Do people in this league really think it's a good trade to send someone a pick in the teens and expect to get a top-five pick in return? Like, if I offered you guys #15 for your #5 and a mid-round pick, you'd all jump all over that deal? Is this the upside down?
Always happens lol
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Brian wroteCOLONI have to ask, because the same thing has happened a few times now:

I was offered a third string goalie and a former late round pick, who is trending well granted, but nothing too exciting for the 9th overall. I try and be nice, but every now and then you've got to tell people to fuck off with their shitty offers.
dave1959
PostsCOLON 5138
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:43 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario

Post by dave1959 »

KapG wroteCOLON

Always happens lol
it does?
Bruyns
PostsCOLON 7177
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 am

Post by Bruyns »

There have been a few trade ups where I thought Mik paid a premium already in this draft. Generally there's just a lot of posturing where people "shop" there pick to see if someone will overpay and they aren't really looking to trade back for fair value.

You are saying people are offering a 3rd-5th round pick to jump from 15ish to 5? You are also the new guy so GMs feel like maybe you will make bad deals.
KapG
PostsCOLON 11908

Post by KapG »

dave1959 wroteCOLON
KapG wroteCOLON

Always happens lol
it does?
Everyone gets low balls and sends them out too. Just nature of the beast.
Brian
PostsCOLON 322

Post by Brian »

KapG wroteCOLON
dave1959 wroteCOLON
KapG wroteCOLON Everyone gets low balls and sends them out too. Just nature of the beast.
I don't. If you ever get a ridiculous low-ball trade offer from me, post it on the boards for everyone to see. Any trade offer I make will be a good faith offer of what I believe is equal value. I also keep track of offers I recieve, and stop dealing with people who are obviously just trying to rip me off.
KapG
PostsCOLON 11908

Post by KapG »

Brian wroteCOLON
KapG wroteCOLON
dave1959 wroteCOLON
KapG wroteCOLON Everyone gets low balls and sends them out too. Just nature of the beast.
I don't. If you ever get a ridiculous low-ball trade offer from me, post it on the boards for everyone to see. Any trade offer I make will be a good faith offer of what I believe is equal value. I also keep track of offers I recieve, and stop dealing with people who are obviously just trying to rip me off.
Posting the terrible offers publicly has never stopped the regular culprits lol
DApolloS
PostsCOLON 638
JoinedCOLON Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:24 am

Post by DApolloS »

Brian wroteCOLON
KapG wroteCOLON
dave1959 wroteCOLON
I don't know you very well yet, but the little interaction I've had with you I would say this statement would be true. I think I fall in the later category when I shopped 2. I missed out on the Rangers moving up, but I wanted to see if there was anyone else out there willing to make a similar deal. I received fair offers, but I preferred hanging onto 2 and taking Beniers.
DApolloS
PostsCOLON 638
JoinedCOLON Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:24 am

Post by DApolloS »

Was it too much hopping Raty would fall to 34? Lol.

I think he goes around here, if not a bit sooner, despite him plummeting through the rankings this year. This was a kid a year ago who was considered a candidate for the top pick. It's basically Sean Coutirier all over again. Whoever gets him will be very happy.
Brian
PostsCOLON 322

Post by Brian »

KapG wroteCOLON
Brian wroteCOLON
KapG wroteCOLON
dave1959 wroteCOLON
Posting the terrible offers publicly has never stopped the regular culprits lol
Fair enough, and I'm guessing there's been a dozen versions of this same conversation over the years. That and the "Why does GM John Doe always send me offers of his five scrubs for my one star"?
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

There are no scrubs in this league. Every player is a star, if you ask the owner of said player.
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to