Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

2022 Hlinka Gretzky Cup / IIHF U20

Post by Shoalzie »

I'm not as well versed on the Hlinka Gretzky and I already watched quite a bit of the U18 before the draft. I imagine the rescheduled U20 tournament probably throws a wrench into who each team would've sent to Red Deer under normal circumstances, I assume?

Watched the second period of USA-Germany...very non-competitive until Germany switched goals and finally scored. Didn't flip over to watch Canada-Switzerland right at 9 and the game was already 3 or 4-to-nothing. One-sided hockey isn't a great watch but I'm trying to get more familiar with some of the draft prospects in the tournament.

I am pumped up to be able to watch the U20 in the middle of the summer when I don't watch a lot of baseball these days. I completely for forgot about Hlinka Gretzky and didn't know NHLN was showing games. NFL training camp is starting up but I'd rather be a draft nerd and check out 2023 prospects.
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Re: 2022 Hlinka Gretzky Cup / IIHF U20

Post by kyuss »

The one interesting game of the 1st day was not even broadcasted by TSN, they should have left the tournament in Czech Republic since they don't bother covering it in a decent manner.

The Hockey Canada website is the usual shit hole too, you can't even find out lineups there or at tournament's website when it's in Canada
Brian
PostsCOLON 322
JoinedCOLON Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:12 pm

Post by Brian »

I’ll be watching the games, and will post my player notes on my site. Really liked what I saw from Whitelaw yesterday. Musty? Not so much.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

In a roundabout way, I was sending out the bat signal to Brian to share his takes on the upcoming tournaments...glad you're going to post some notes on your site. Nobody has really put out an early 2023 list so far.

With the NHL draft I don't typically pay attention to the prospects until after the proper WJC (around the turn of the calendar) but I want to try to follow the top names throughout the calendar year and watch who rises and falls in the eyes of the "draft pundits". I want to watch whatever I can on TV and I want to catch a few college hockey and OHL games in person this year. I want to see McGroarty play for the Wolverines this year and I definitely want to watch plenty of Adam Fantilli as well.
Brian
PostsCOLON 322

Post by Brian »

I watched Fantilli in one of the Canada showcase games (U20 Red vs U18s) a few days ago and he looked great. I’m recording all of the Hlinka games getting televised on NHL Network and will watch them a couple of times at least. Same with WJC games. Lots and lots of notes on the horizon.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

Not surprised to see Team USA bow out early...I wasn't too impressed. The four teams left seem to be the right teams to play on. Yager and Ritchie have been good for Canada and I like Sale for the Czechs.

Other than Team Canada, has anyone seen other teams release their rosters for the U20 yet?
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Post by kyuss »

As usual, it wasn't the USND team playing at the Hlinka, right?
Brian
PostsCOLON 322

Post by Brian »

Correct
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

For Team USA? I noticed that with the roster the players came from everywhere else.

I didn't get a chance to see the finals last night...who is your all-tournament team, Brian?
Brian
PostsCOLON 322

Post by Brian »

I haven’t watched all the games yet. With my stupid broken wing I can only type left handed, so it is taking me about 4 hours per game to watch players.
DApolloS
PostsCOLON 638
JoinedCOLON Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:24 am

Post by DApolloS »

Well there's your problem. You're supposed to type with your fingers, not your wing. Silly bird.
Bruyns
PostsCOLON 7177
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 am

Post by Bruyns »

Brian wroteCOLONI haven’t watched all the games yet. With my stupid broken wing I can only type left handed, so it is taking me about 4 hours per game to watch players.
Sounds like you need to take audio notes and type at a later date.
Brian
PostsCOLON 322

Post by Brian »

Yeah, I’m trying that, too.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

Intriguing roster for Team USA...excited to see Charlie Stramel for the first time. All 3 goalies are 2023 draft prospects. Luke Hughes will be a Hobey Baker candidate this year...I'm hoping he shows out in this tournament. This roster is heavily leaning on NCAA players. I think Cooley is only the guy from the 2022 draft.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

My picks...
Gold: Canada
Silver: USA
Bronze: Sweden
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

That was a damn good opening game...
Brian
PostsCOLON 322

Post by Brian »

Finland’s top line of Hirvonen, Kemell and Raty were flying last night. The Latvians played hard but had no answers for those three.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

Team USA passed their first real test of the tournament last night. Their questionable goaltending hasn't cost them (yet).

Looking forward to Canada-Finland tonight.
Brian
PostsCOLON 322

Post by Brian »

Finland had consecutive minutes of powerplay time last night, third period, down by three, and Brad Lambert didn't step on the ice once. Take from that what you will.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

He's only had a single goal in their 4 games. He's not been as noticeable as other guys on that team.

I figured Canada/USA/Sweden/Finland would be the final four and the way the bracket lay out, it can very well happen. Canada and Team USA were definitely the class of tournament through the group stage. That collision course for the gold is what I want to see but anything can happen in single-elimination.
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to