GDT - Week 13 Final Notice

Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Re: GDT - Week 13 Final Notice

Post by kyuss »

Shoalzie wroteCOLONWe should almost use a similar rule used in the MLB playoffs. If you replace a guy on your active roster due to injury, you can't bring them back in.
under what was proposed years back, that was never going to be allowed in fact.

But my proposals were dismissed cause people said it would give too much advantage to the deep teams. Much better to just reward the lucky teams instead I guess, lol

I gave up cause that would only get me more of the good old blame of pushing an agenda out of personal interest, somehow
Bruyns
PostsCOLON 7177
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 am

Post by Bruyns »

It does promote player hoarding is another issue. There are only so many NHL players to go around and I always move guys that are not going to crack my roster for whatever picks I can get. If I knew I needed injury replacements in the playoffs I would never trade guys like Boyd and Kero to help teams make GP.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

This is a weekly league. By making injury replacements in the playoffs, it essentially gives advantage to those who have the time to be here and check the hockey ticker everyday (and not everyone does).

I'd be okay with having injury replacements in the finals after the first week, since in most years the final is 2 weeks long.
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Bruyns wroteCOLONIt does promote player hoarding is another issue. There are only so many NHL players to go around and I always move guys that are not going to crack my roster for whatever picks I can get. If I knew I needed injury replacements in the playoffs I would never trade guys like Boyd and Kero to help teams make GP.
You can only hoard so many players though - waivers are there for that as well as the contract limit.

Sure, it may limit the ability for teams to rebuild, but you could just as easily make a few changes to help those teams out while still allowing the deep playoff teams to use their depth. If teams cannot use their depth, then what`s the point?

I`m with Kyuss on this one. We should find a way to allow for more flexibility come playoff time. But Playoff time only!
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

I don't really care either way. I think in the end injuries or illness are bad luck just like a player having unproductive games. You can't assume your best players will always produce and sometimes your lesser players will over-perform.
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Matthew wroteCOLONThis is a weekly league. By making injury replacements in the playoffs, it essentially gives advantage to those who have the time to be here and check the hockey ticker everyday (and not everyone does).

I'd be okay with having injury replacements in the finals after the first week, since in most years the final is 2 weeks long.
If you can`t be bothered to take 2 minutes to check your fantasy roster during a playoffs matchup, then that`s a them problem. Why punish the people who make the time to be active? People have almost 15+ hours to check their teams. Are you telling me that you cannot find 2 minutes to check? Do people not poop everyday?
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

Bruyns wroteCOLONIt does promote player hoarding is another issue. There are only so many NHL players to go around and I always move guys that are not going to crack my roster for whatever picks I can get. If I knew I needed injury replacements in the playoffs I would never trade guys like Boyd and Kero to help teams make GP.
well you can only do that as long as they are waiver exempt, so that take care of the 'hoarding' issue by itself
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Shoalzie wroteCOLONI don't really care either way. I think in the end injuries or illness are bad luck just like a player having unproductive games. You can't assume your best players will always produce and sometimes your lesser players will over-perform.
A poor performance may still net you a ++ in some categories, and even if you get a week full of poor performances, it`s almost statistically impossible to get zeroes across the board for an entire week. However, if you are injured, you are guaranteed zeroes.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON. We should find a way to allow for more flexibility come playoff time. But Playoff time only!
yes agree, it was always suggested for playoffs only
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Matthew wroteCOLONThis is a weekly league. By making injury replacements in the playoffs, it essentially gives advantage to those who have the time to be here and check the hockey ticker everyday (and not everyone does).

If you can`t be bothered to take 2 minutes to check your fantasy roster during a playoffs matchup, then that`s a them problem. Why punish the people who make the time to be active? People have almost 15+ hours to check their teams. Are you telling me that you cannot find 2 minutes to check? Do people not poop everyday?
So change the standard of it being a weekly league from regular season to playoffs?

And yes, at different times in life people can find it difficult to get on every single day. This isnt something everyone wants to have to check everyday...weekly league. If u want injury subs then join a daily league. As a fairly deep team, I'd feel like I have an unfair advantage against someone who isn't on everyday. Injuries happen, it's part of the random excitement of our league. Don't want injuries? Focus on acquiring guys who rarely get injured.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Matthew wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLON

So change the standard of it being a weekly league from regular season to playoffs?

And yes, at different times in life people can find it difficult to get on every single day. This isnt something everyone wants to have to check everyday...weekly league. If u want injury subs then join a daily league. As a fairly deep team, I'd feel like I have an unfair advantage against someone who isn't on everyday. Injuries happen, it's part of the random excitement of our league. Don't want injuries? Focus on acquiring guys who rarely get injured.
You would only be allowed to make substitions to injured players - not run a daily swap. Every playoff team has 2-3 players in their reserves that would allow them to make a proper swap in the case of injuries.

Also, injuries are certainly not random excitement. The only person who gets excited is the opposition. Losing a week because of an injury when you have multiple capable bodies is more insulting to me than anything. I don`t want to win against someone because they got hurt. I want to win because I was better.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Matthew wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLON

You would only be allowed to make substitions to injured players - not run a daily swap. Every playoff team has 2-3 players in their reserves that would allow them to make a proper swap in the case of injuries.

Also, injuries are certainly not random excitement. The only person who gets excited is the opposition. Losing a week because of an injury when you have multiple capable bodies is more insulting to me than anything. I don`t want to win against someone because they got hurt. I want to win because I was better.
Join a daily league. This is a weekly league. Injuries happen.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

Matthew wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Matthew wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLON

Join a daily league. This is a weekly league. Injuries happen.
it's not like repeating your mantra makes you right when the guy already replied on point
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

Not a mantra. Repeating a fact. He said he doesn't want to win by injuries. But in order to know if u have injuries u need to check on it daily. Not everyone has that time, or that expectation in a weekly league. You know who does have that expectation? People in daily leagues.

I'm one of the most active members and I don't want to have to check that everyday. Especially if I'm out camping or fishing or on vacation etc.
Last edited by 1 on Matthew, edited 0 times in total.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Matthew wroteCOLONNot a mantra. Repeating a fact. He said he doesn't want to win by injuries. But in order to know if u have injuries u need to check on it daily. Not everyone has that time, or that expectation in a weekly league. You know who does have that expectation? People in daily leagues.
The point being that weekly leagues are great for the regular season, but not so great in the playoffs. You can adjust during the regular season and shake off an injury-riddled week here or there.

The playoffs should be about how your built your team, not whether or not your players managed to stay healthy. This is especially the case this year given Covid - and I don`t think Covid is going away any time soon.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

btw, the theory that such rule would hurt rebuilders is hard to share for me:

if I am a contender and I know I could make use of more depth during playoff matchups I would be much more encouraged to spend at the deadline to acquire more pieces.
Or to put together the best possible lineup for the playoff run in the first place. In the current set up, things are so random in our playoff matchups that there is little point to overpay at the deadline (something rebuilders could benefit from).
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

Matthew wroteCOLONNot a mantra. Repeating a fact.
allowing for sub. injured players under specific regulations during playoffs only would not turn BBKL into a daily league, you're repeating as a fact something that would not be a fact.
Matthew wroteCOLONI'm one of the most active members and I don't want to have to check that everyday. Especially if I'm out camping or fishing or on vacation etc.
if you happen to be on vacation during our playoffs you can always ask a buddy of yours for help to monitor things more closely than you could do yourself over those days, could be someone in the league as well. Seems hardly like something that should prevent the league from improving
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

kyuss wroteCOLON
allowing for sub. injured players under specific regulations during playoffs only would not turn BBKL into a daily league, you're repeating as a fact something that would not be a fact.
Matthew wroteCOLONI'm one of the most active members and I don't want to have to check that everyday. Especially if I'm out camping or fishing or on vacation etc.
if you happen to be on vacation during our playoffs you can always ask a buddy of yours for help to monitor things more closely than you could do yourself over those days, could be someone in the league as well. Seems hardly like something that should prevent the league from improving
Improvement in your opinion. I think it would make it worse.

Anyone a bit less active gets hammered in the playoffs after working all season to make it.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Matthew wroteCOLON
kyuss wroteCOLON

Anyone a bit less active gets hammered in the playoffs after working all season to make it.
If they have been working all season to make it, I find it hard to believe they would leave things be come playoff time. Seems like a poor theory to me.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

Matthew wroteCOLON
kyuss wroteCOLON

more like "anyone who doesn't even care about his team during the playoffs", lol.

It would also be an improvement in resembling a bit more real life playoff series: you don't see teams playing shorthanded as the series run deeper just because their regular players suffered injuries in the previous games of the series, their depth is part of the things that go into their chances to win the big prize
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to