How would you restart/finish the NHL season?

Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

How would you restart/finish the NHL season?

Post by Shoalzie »

Super early to think about but we need to talk about something...

The one half of me just wants them to finish everything when the resume...assuming they're back in the next month or so. Arena availability would be an issue so maybe the exact schedule as constructed can't be completed. Somehow play the remaining games on the schedule over 3+ weeks. We'd be looking at the playoffs starting around May? Play the traditional playoffs to completion and the cup is handed out in July. The draft and free agency would obviously be moved back accordingly. Frankly, I'd like a shorter offseason as a fan but the players might not like the shorter rest before the '20-21 season starts.

My semi-radical idea is come back and finish the season up to the 74-game mark. Teams are any between 68 and 71 games played. I think stopping at 72 would be too abrupt so it would at least give teams a minimum of 3 more games and with a few teams needing to play as many as 6.

My twist on the schedule is make all the matchups matter. Re-arrange the schedule where there's minimal inter-conference play. Set it up where all the "alive teams" play each other as much as possible. Essentially make the end of the regular season more exciting instead of doing some wacky expanded playoff. If you cut it off at 74 games, a team like Chicago in the West is still (barely) alive while the cutoff in the East would be Florida.

After the 74 games, that determines your 16-team playoff. If you play up to 74 games, maybe you shave 2 weeks off the regular season and get to the playoffs sooner and not push the league calendar back too far.
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
Jordan (VGK)
PostsCOLON 1062
JoinedCOLON Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:29 pm
LocationCOLON Ottawa, ON

Re: How would you restart/finish the NHL season?

Post by Jordan (VGK) »

I don't think they're going to let this delay push back next season. So really depends on how long the pause is.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

Right. With the amount of time they lose, I'm sure the likelihood of shaving off regular season games or going straight into the playoffs is more likely just so it doesn't run too close to next season. I think best case scenario is they and the NBA are back in a month. If we're looking at nothing until May, it's going to be tough to fit everything in.

Coordinating arenas with so many teams that share venues will be another logistical headache as maybe drift into the summer and how concert may conflict with arena usage. The potential revenue loss of eliminating games will be sizable so you wonder how long they'll be willing hold out. And the other factor will be the fans; are they eager to return or will they be scared off from public spaces for a while? If they're too eager and the "virus curve" goes back up, then all of this would be a major mistake.

I don't envy the leagues right now. So much of the decision-making is out of their hands. Obviously that's why we can't decide on what to do here either.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

Shoalzie wroteCOLONRight. With the amount of time they lose, I'm sure the likelihood of shaving off regular season games or going straight into the playoffs is more likely just so it doesn't run too close to next season. I think best case scenario is they and the NBA are back in a month. If we're looking at nothing until May, it's going to be tough to fit everything in.

Coordinating arenas with so many teams that share venues will be another logistical headache as maybe drift into the summer and how concert may conflict with arena usage. The potential revenue loss of eliminating games will be sizable so you wonder how long they'll be willing hold out. And the other factor will be the fans; are they eager to return or will they be scared off from public spaces for a while? If they're too eager and the "virus curve" goes back up, then all of this would be a major mistake.

I don't envy the leagues right now. So much of the decision-making is out of their hands. Obviously that's why we can't decide on what to do here either.
You gotta figure this will modify the cap downward next year? Time for a feast, bottom dwellers.
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
The BBKL Insider
PostsCOLON 22628
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 8:46 pm
LocationCOLON San Juan, Puerto Rico

Post by The BBKL Insider »

No winner.

Or go by standings ;)
Fraser
PostsCOLON 3681
JoinedCOLON Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:38 am
LocationCOLON Perth, Western Australia

Post by Fraser »

Top 2 in each div make up the final 8. Roll play-offs from there
hong57
PostsCOLON 7106
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:38 pm

Post by hong57 »

fk china for this shit
#91 - John Tavares
lightupdadarkness
PostsCOLON 4881
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:37 pm

Post by lightupdadarkness »

CDC: CDC, in accordance with its guidance for large events and mass gatherings, recommends that for the next 8 weeks, organizers (whether groups or individuals) cancel or postpone in-person events that consist of 50 people or more throughout the United States.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

The league outlined their (initial) plan and we're probably 2 months out from any kind of NHL action. We obviously can't assume or plan on anything until there's a firm announcement and it's still very much out of the NHL's hands as to what can happen.

If the regular season is officially nuked, we can probably lift the trade freeze and proceed with our offseason. Until then, we can't because the fate of our playoffs is still in the balance.

Also, we can probably stick to our usual June 1 for the entry draft because the NHL could move theirs back if the league shifts their calendar back for this summer or if the season is cancelled, they can still conduct it similar to how the NFL is going to next month's draft.
Jordan (VGK)
PostsCOLON 1062
LocationCOLON Ottawa, ON

Post by Jordan (VGK) »

As long as the draft of all leagues that normally start June 1, start one same day we’ll be fine to go whenever. Just need some coordination.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

We've made June 1 our annual draft date so we'd have a few weeks to finish ahead of the NHL's draft. If they re-start their season in May (or later), I can't imagine they'll do the draft on their scheduled dates. It shouldn't stop us from doing ours.

I guess the only thing we need from the NHL is for them to conduct their lottery but they've not officially finished the regular season.
Jordan (VGK)
PostsCOLON 1062
LocationCOLON Ottawa, ON

Post by Jordan (VGK) »

Shoalzie wroteCOLONWe've made June 1 our annual draft date so we'd have a few weeks to finish ahead of the NHL's draft. If they re-start their season in May (or later), I can't imagine they'll do the draft on their scheduled dates. It shouldn't stop us from doing ours.

I guess the only thing we need from the NHL is for them to conduct their lottery but they've not officially finished the regular season.
Concern with lottery is if they do a 24 team playoff and only 7 teams in lotto would limit our ability to match their results. Anyways, wait and see won't be for a while.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

I am of the opinion that us bottom feeding teams work freaking hard to be the worst that we can be while still complying with the rules. We should be rewarded based on our efforts and there should be no lottery in a fantasy hockey league.

The lottery in the NHL works great because it discourages teams to rebuild forever, but us dynasty teams operate differently, thus we should be different.
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLONI am of the opinion that us bottom feeding teams work freaking hard to be the worst that we can be while still complying with the rules. We should be rewarded based on our efforts and there should be no lottery in a fantasy hockey league.

The lottery in the NHL works great because it discourages teams to rebuild forever, but us dynasty teams operate differently, thus we should be different.
... as one of the bottom tiered teams reading this... come on... give it a rest now man.. this sounds fuckin pathetic lol. soo cringe...get better. stop bitchin to be rewarded for free lol

wtf are u on about?? dynasty teams operate "differently" so we should be different? what the FUCK are u takin about loololl this whole places point is to emulate the NHL as close as possible man

just leave this place for 2 months and come back bro you r getting way too bored for ur own good lolol wew
Jordan (VGK)
PostsCOLON 1062
LocationCOLON Ottawa, ON

Post by Jordan (VGK) »

Yea the race to the bottom is already real. Giving a further incentive to do that widens the gap between rebuilders and contenders. The GP minimum is already really low making teams around 850 to have a bunch of names that are barely recognizable.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

If anything the lotto is MORE needed for fantasy hockey because we don't have money/fan support to incentive not being utterly terrible constantly.
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

Using the same the system as the NHL uses...and I'm obviously a Red Wings fan...you play the games knowing that just because you finish last doesn't guarantee anything. Finishing 31st gives you the best odds and that's all you can ask for.

There really shouldn't be an incentive to just finish last and get rewarded with the first pick automatically. If you are rebuilding and HAPPEN to finish last, then you at least get the best shot at landing the top pick.

If we're being honest, what rewards are there to anything we do in this league aside from bragging rights or pride? There's no money on the line.

To me, it's a never-ending competition. You're good one year but you could miss the playoffs the next year if things don't go right. The performance of your players and the progression of your prospects is completely out your control. There's no guarantees but you'd think the teams with the best talent would have the most success and the teams with less talent will have less success.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

kimmer wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLONI am of the opinion that us bottom feeding teams work freaking hard to be the worst that we can be while still complying with the rules. We should be rewarded based on our efforts and there should be no lottery in a fantasy hockey league.

... as one of the bottom tiered teams reading this... come on... give it a rest now man.. this sounds fuckin pathetic lol. soo cringe...get better. stop bitchin to be rewarded for free lol

wtf are u on about?? dynasty teams operate "differently" so we should be different? what the FUCK are u takin about loololl this whole places point is to emulate the NHL as close as possible man

just leave this place for 2 months and come back bro you r getting way too bored for ur own good lolol wew
You're one of the bottom tiered teams because you have no idea what the fuck you are doing.

For the rest of us trying to rebuild, going from 1st to 4th - just like in the NHL, CAN set back a rebuild. Obviously this is not always the case, but when there is a generational talent there and you go from getting a guaranteed superstar to drafting a decent guy at 4th - it hurts. My point is that we are not getting paid - it's supposed to be for fun. If there was more of an incentive to stay the course of a rebuild, like being guaranteed first pick, you might have more people do a legitimate rebuild instead of making stupid trades and continuously load up certain top teams.

It was just an idea - not a hill I'm going to die on. Chilax Kimmer - go meditate and drink some green tea ffs. Sheesh.
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

haha very relaxed. it just sounded dumb lolol
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

kimmer wroteCOLONhaha very relaxed. it just sounded dumb lolol
I'm glad that you were able to positively contribute to the conversation. You're input is invaluable to this league.
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to