Playoff Format

Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
dave1959
PostsCOLON 5138
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:43 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario

Playoff Format

Post by dave1959 »

seeing as how it's early in the season, and it's been talked about before...

We don't have to worry about travel here.

We should discuss going from current format to:

1 vs 8
2 vs 7
3 vs 6
4 vs 5

in each conference.
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:29 pm

Re: Playoff Format

Post by Lee »

Supported. The best teams should be in the playoffs. I don't want to make the playoffs again because of a technicality.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Post by kyuss »

I support obviously.

The teams in the best divisions already face the tougher schedule. No need to keep screwing our playoff seeding just to mimic the NHL retarded playoff system. They will probably change it themselves eventually
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136
JoinedCOLON Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:37 pm

Post by CasperX22 »

kyuss wroteCOLONI support obviously.

The teams in the best divisions already face the tougher schedule. No need to keep screwing our playoff seeding just to mimic the NHL retarded playoff system. They will probably change it themselves eventually
Doubt it. NHL wants rivalries.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

Full retardness usually doesn't last very long, even in the NHL, and a new CBA is around the corner (the corner being another lockout obviously :roll: )
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136

Post by CasperX22 »

There is nothing retarded about the playoff format. Division, conference, league. How all playoffs should be. There are too many playoff teams if you ask me, but giving back tv money, Stadium revenue, etc goes against the league's interest.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

The obvious problem comes from having the 4th and 5th teams in division A ranked lower than the 2nd and 3rd team in the division B even if they had twice the pts.

This means:
- the 4th and 5th teams get a worse playoff route than they would deserve, as they conquered many more pts despite being in the much tougher division
- several weeks late in the season may easily be pointless for the 2nd and 3rd team, cause in most years their seedings will stay the same no matter the outcome of those weeks
- the top team in the conference in the 1st round will get the stronger 5th team off the much tougher division instead of getting the worst playoff team in his conference (3rd in the weaker conference)

Even aside from unfairness... a key thing would be allowing teams to compete for the best possible seeding till the end, rather than having things already determined weeks before the end in most years, which can make the last part of the regular season very boring.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

So what's the point in even having divisions then?

Maybe we should go to 1-4 in each division and then have 2 divisional rounds, a conference round, and a championship round.

Or 3 teams from each division must make the playoffs, w the wildcats still, but then we re rank once the playoffs begin. So that each division gets representation.

Or where 1-4 in each conference get to pick their opponents in the first round (which then sets the playoff rank 1-8), making being good in the season important.

Or we just wait another season and once Seattle joins copy the nhl, which will likely go to an 8 division format.
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

It does not matter to me. At the end of the day, the team who wins is whoever performs the best.
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136

Post by CasperX22 »

Matthew wroteCOLONSo what's the point in even having divisions then?

Maybe we should go to 1-4 in each division and then have 2 divisional rounds, a conference round, and a championship round.

Or 3 teams from each division must make the playoffs, w the wildcats still, but then we re rank once the playoffs begin. So that each division gets representation.

Or where 1-4 in each conference get to pick their opponents in the first round (which then sets the playoff rank 1-8), making being good in the season important.

Or we just wait another season and once Seattle joins copy the nhl, which will likely go to an 8 division format.
The point of divisions are to create rivalries amongst teams and fanbases within a general region. The original NHL proposal of the new playoff format was that each division be seeded 1-4 in the playoffs, but some owners complained that 7 team divisions had an advantage over 8 team divisions and that's where the wc came from. It would admittedly be better if the wild card crossover were eliminated.
CAM
PostsCOLON 3734
JoinedCOLON Fri May 24, 2013 5:42 pm

Post by CAM »

i support
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

Matthew wroteCOLONSo what's the point in even having divisions then?
The NHL had divisions with proper, fair playoff seeding for quite a long time.
The reason for having divisions was still there: schedules having more games inside the division, and whoever wins the division is sure of a spot in the playoffs so that each division is sure to have representation.

This current travesty of a playoff system has the advantage of cutting down travels (hence fuel costs, which grew), which doesn't exist for us.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

I'd support removing wildcards, and having 1-4 in each division make it, and then divisional playoffs, conference playoffs, and finals. I like the rivalries.
CAM
PostsCOLON 3734
JoinedCOLON Fri May 24, 2013 5:42 pm

Post by CAM »

i think its a sin to see the 2v3 in round 1. No way Boston and Toronto should have had to face each other in round 1. I also like that 1 v 8 produces a nice underdog match. I miss it...I also like seeing cross div seeds.
foofnik
PostsCOLON 1572
JoinedCOLON Sun May 31, 2015 2:58 pm
LocationCOLON Long Island, New York

Post by foofnik »

This whole discussion likely goes out the window once the NHL announces the changes that will be made once Seattle joins
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136

Post by CasperX22 »

CAM wroteCOLONi think its a sin to see the 2v3 in round 1. No way Boston and Toronto should have had to face each other in round 1. I also like that 1 v 8 produces a nice underdog match. I miss it...I also like seeing cross div seeds.
Why? If you are going to be a cup contender you are eventually going to face each other anyway. Did having to face one another in rd 1 rather than rd 2 prevent either from winning the cup? It's a fallacy.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

CasperX22 wroteCOLON
CAM wroteCOLONi think its a sin to see the 2v3 in round 1. No way Boston and Toronto should have had to face each other in round 1. I also like that 1 v 8 produces a nice underdog match. I miss it...I also like seeing cross div seeds.
Why? If you are going to be a cup contender you are eventually going to face each other anyway. Did having to face one another in rd 1 rather than rd 2 prevent either from winning the cup? It's a fallacy.
really, it's not difficult to understand the difference, unless you just don't want to hear
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136

Post by CasperX22 »

You don't like the format I get it, but it doesn't make any team's path to the cup more difficult. Whether you like it or not it's one of the best things the NHL has done in recent years.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

CasperX22 wroteCOLONYou don't like the format I get it, but it doesn't make any team's path to the cup more difficult.
it obviously does
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

kyuss wroteCOLON
CasperX22 wroteCOLONYou don't like the format I get it, but it doesn't make any team's path to the cup more difficult.
it obviously does
True.
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to