Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
BUTTON_POST_REPLY
Loki
PostsCOLON 1938
JoinedCOLON Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:38 pm
LocationCOLON Melbourne, AUS

Re: NHL Transactions, Injuries & Rumours

Post by Loki »

Seems like there's a legitimate push and support to raise the draft age to 19. :?
The BBKL Insider
PostsCOLON 22628
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 8:46 pm
LocationCOLON San Juan, Puerto Rico

Post by The BBKL Insider »

thom54 wroteCOLONshiiiitttyy
Who owns him?
The BBKL Insider
PostsCOLON 22628
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 8:46 pm
LocationCOLON San Juan, Puerto Rico

Post by The BBKL Insider »

Loki wroteCOLONSeems like there's a legitimate push and support to raise the draft age to 19. :?
It's not a bad idea. Would avoid a lot of busted picks in the early rounds. Guys would be more developed by 19.
Loki
PostsCOLON 1938

Post by Loki »

The BBKL Insider wroteCOLON
Loki wroteCOLONSeems like there's a legitimate push and support to raise the draft age to 19. :?
It's not a bad idea. Would avoid a lot of busted picks in the early rounds. Guys would be more developed by 19.
It would definitely help teams more, but it would suck for the players that are ready to be pros, enduring one more year of junior before they can be drafted. Also allows their ELCs to be signed later so teams get the players for cheaper for longer.
I wonder how you'd migrate to it though, like say they suddenly changed it to 19 next year, it would just be all leftovers left to draft in the transition year because everyone would be pushed back to 2019.
Last edited by 1 on Loki, edited 0 times in total.
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:29 pm

Post by Lee »

like the raps getting barganani instead of Durant
Arian The Insider
PostsCOLON 7304
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:05 pm

Post by Arian The Insider »

Keep it at 18. Players that aren't ready will just go back to junior, college, europe, etc. Shouldn't hold back elite NHL-ready prospects.
Click Oilers image below for full team roster
Loki
PostsCOLON 1938

Post by Loki »

Scott Wheeler (now of The Athletic): "Pat Lafontaine just said on SN590 that there's consensus in the hockey world to move to a 19-year-old draft. It's really going to happen."
hong57
PostsCOLON 7106
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:38 pm

Post by hong57 »

Arian The Insider wroteCOLONKeep it at 18. Players that aren't ready will just go back to junior, college, europe, etc. Shouldn't hold back elite NHL-ready prospects.
owners want to keep them longer for cheaper.. owners are greedy... no olympics
#91 - John Tavares
Arian The Insider
PostsCOLON 7304

hong57 wroteCOLON
Arian The Insider wroteCOLONKeep it at 18. Players that aren't ready will just go back to junior, college, europe, etc. Shouldn't hold back elite NHL-ready prospects.
How do the owners keep them for longer? Would the ELC move to 4 years?
Loki
PostsCOLON 1938

Post by Loki »

Arian The Insider wroteCOLON
hong57 wroteCOLON
Top end draft picks would sign their ELC at 19 rather than at 18. So you'd get them on the ELC until 22 rather than 21. Extra year of their prime for peanuts.
Arian The Insider
PostsCOLON 7304

Loki wroteCOLON
hong57 wroteCOLON
Top end draft picks would sign their ELC at 19 rather than at 18. So you'd get them on the ELC until 22 rather than 21. Extra year of their prime for peanuts.
But the ELC doesn't kick in until you start playing pro
bills09
PostsCOLON 9280
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:10 pm
LocationCOLON Pickering, Ontario

Post by bills09 »

The BBKL Insider wroteCOLON
thom54 wroteCOLONshiiiitttyy
Who owns him?
I do :/
Loki
PostsCOLON 1938

Post by Loki »

Arian The Insider wroteCOLONBut the ELC doesn't kick in until you start playing pro
Sure, but we're only really talking about the players who could play in the NHL at 18, the ones who wouldn't be ready aren't really affected as like you said, their ELC doesn't kick in until they play that 10 games in the NHL.
It's good for the CHL as it guarantees them another year of players like McDavid etc... but totally screws McDavid himself
Arian The Insider
PostsCOLON 7304

Loki wroteCOLON
Arian The Insider wroteCOLONBut the ELC doesn't kick in until you start playing pro
Sure, but we're only really talking about the players who could play in the NHL at 18, the ones who wouldn't be ready aren't really affected as like you said, their ELC doesn't kick in until they play that 10 games in the NHL.
It's good for the CHL as it guarantees them another year of players like McDavid etc... but totally screws McDavid himself
They might get those guys on their ELC until 22 but they also lose their 18 year old season too. I guess there's a bit of a value gain on those few players each year. I wonder if the main reason is that teams want to the extra year of development so they can draft better lol.
bills09
PostsCOLON 9280
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:10 pm
LocationCOLON Pickering, Ontario

Post by bills09 »

I bet you would see more players follow the Auston Matthews route and play in Europe for their 18 year old seasons
Loki
PostsCOLON 1938

Post by Loki »

Loki wroteCOLON
They might get those guys on their ELC until 22 but they also lose their 18 year old season too. I guess there's a bit of a value gain on those few players each year. I wonder if the main reason is that teams want to the extra year of development so they can draft better lol.
Haha yeah I imagine a big part of it is teams feeling like they'll draft better if they can see the players available a year later than they currently do. Especially for the later rounds. I wonder if maybe they'll even do something like first round is 18+ and second round onwards is 19+ or something
hong57
PostsCOLON 7106

Post by hong57 »

Loki wroteCOLON
18 years old is really not as productive... apart from those generational talents.. owners would preferably get their picks play their first season at 19 rather than 18.. their first year in ELC would definitely be more productive and helpful for the team..
#91 - John Tavares
hong57
PostsCOLON 7106

Post by hong57 »

Loki wroteCOLON
Loki wroteCOLON
Haha yeah I imagine a big part of it is teams feeling like they'll draft better if they can see the players available a year later than they currently do. Especially for the later rounds. I wonder if maybe they'll even do something like first round is 18+ and second round onwards is 19+ or something
I have some reservation on the bold part. Becoz there will be more "overagers" in the CHL, which will inflate their stats quite a bit (like we are talking about D+1 usually being much more productive than D or D-1), as a person like me which looks at stats quite a bit, it'd say it would be hard to tell whether the player is really good and improved or due to them being better just becoz they are overagers. For professional and NHL scouts, maybe (i don't know) they can tell the difference
#91 - John Tavares
thom54
PostsCOLON 7459
JoinedCOLON Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:00 pm
LocationCOLON Kingston, ON

Post by thom54 »

also pushes back (for the elite) their UFA start times
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Post by kyuss »

horrible news
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to