Post by dave1959 »

Lee wroteCOLONSo you had a cat
yeah yeah...lol
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:29 pm

Re: Dog/pets people

Post by Lee »

That's fine, I have one of those too. Love the little thing. He's an awesome cat. Pretty bad dog tho.
tbone
PostsCOLON 349
JoinedCOLON Thu May 18, 2017 8:31 pm

Post by tbone »

I had a German Shepherd that grew up with since I was a kid - lived a long 16yrs before he passed - was a great companion and shared lots of great times. Eats like a pig and poops like one too, so think that was one of the biggest negatives, had to cook a bit pot of rice with leftovers each day just to keep his energy up.

Also took over caring for my sister's Chow-Chow when she went back to Hong Kong. Bitchy and self-indulgent little thing, but girls seem to luv them with their big ball of fluff and cute little tongue.
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

This was my GS
Died at age 12 yr 2012

Hoping to get my own
Attachments
FB_IMG_1495742377483.jpg
KapG
PostsCOLON 11908
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 5:46 pm
LocationCOLON Toronto (beach area)

Post by KapG »

Two Irish Setters

Dogs, especially midsize-large ones, are quite a lot of work.
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136
JoinedCOLON Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:37 pm

Post by CasperX22 »

Bruyns wroteCOLONThey need a lot of exercise I think. Get a big dog first and foremost.

I had a Rottweiler as a child and they are great loyal dogs with a good temperament. I did research before I got my dog as a puppy 6+ years ago and decided on a mastiff and absolutely zero regrets. My dog had 2 purebred parents who I met and she is 1/2 French Mastiff (Dogue de Bordeaux) and 1/2 Canary Mastiff (Presa Canario). She is praised by pretty much everyone that knows her for being well behaved and friendly and even people that say they don't like big dogs like her when they meet her. For examples of her behaviour you can leave food out and not be in the same room and she won't touch it since she knows it's not hers, won't jump up on the bed or couch without being invited to. Gets along and isn't aggressive with other dogs and my cat. Can be left unsupervised outdoors like at my cottage and won't go far.

Advantages of the breed - Do not need much exercise and despite their size are fine even in a small apartment because they are so lazy. Can be left alone for long periods of time since bigger dog = bigger bladder. Are known to be eager to please their owner so they are easy to train. Don't bite, mastiffs would pin an intruder to the ground with their size rather than bite. Family dogs that are extremely patient with young children and other animals. Aren't the type to be barking all the time, mine barks once when it wants in from outdoors then waits a few minutes before barking again. Minimal slobber and shedding compared to other dogs their size.

Disadvantages - Need a strong owner as a puppy who knows what they are doing such as exerting dominance over the dog so they know who the master is. Not a dog you can play outside for hours with as they get tired even after long walks. Very strong so walking can be a challenge at times if it decides it needs to check something out. Short life span and joint issues, at 6 my dog already gets fairly stiff and limps after running around.
395995_10150975939782054_38927817_n.jpg
16179587_10154806170076070_2634425690721571673_o.jpg
Mastiff's are awesome. Had a Bullmastiff when I was little that was a rescue from the shelter. Very loving, loyal, and protective breed.
lightupdadarkness
PostsCOLON 4881
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:37 pm

Post by lightupdadarkness »

I had a Great Dane guy was awesome. Ate like a horse. Want a husky or a pomsky
CAM
PostsCOLON 3734
JoinedCOLON Fri May 24, 2013 5:42 pm

Post by CAM »

I had 2 pugs and they were extremely high maintenance but well worth it. Never owned small dogs but they are the absolute best pets. Now we have two dogs we got from a rescue group. We live semi rural so lots of room to run. The blond one is a nut job. It is part terrier part lab part Sheppard. Its actually medium size. (50lbs) The newest one is gonna be around 70-80lbs. Part hound, part lab. Interesting mix. The first one was getting anxious and driving us so we had to have a second and she has improved immensely. Heres a little vid of them. Sadie can jump and catch frisbee amazingly. For her size she can get 4 legs to my shoulder height now and im 6'1.

Chubby kid is my neighbor!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2KNK8KMg3g[/youtube]
Florida Chris
PostsCOLON 2589
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 7:06 am

Post by Florida Chris »

CAM
PostsCOLON 3734
JoinedCOLON Fri May 24, 2013 5:42 pm

Post by CAM »