Post by kimmer »

Share what kinda dog u own and advantage/disadvantage of breed

Thinkin of getting a german shepherd
Bruyns
PostsCOLON 7177
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 am

Re: Dog/pets people

Post by Bruyns »

They need a lot of exercise I think. Get a big dog first and foremost.

I had a Rottweiler as a child and they are great loyal dogs with a good temperament. I did research before I got my dog as a puppy 6+ years ago and decided on a mastiff and absolutely zero regrets. My dog had 2 purebred parents who I met and she is 1/2 French Mastiff (Dogue de Bordeaux) and 1/2 Canary Mastiff (Presa Canario). She is praised by pretty much everyone that knows her for being well behaved and friendly and even people that say they don't like big dogs like her when they meet her. For examples of her behaviour you can leave food out and not be in the same room and she won't touch it since she knows it's not hers, won't jump up on the bed or couch without being invited to. Gets along and isn't aggressive with other dogs and my cat. Can be left unsupervised outdoors like at my cottage and won't go far.

Advantages of the breed - Do not need much exercise and despite their size are fine even in a small apartment because they are so lazy. Can be left alone for long periods of time since bigger dog = bigger bladder. Are known to be eager to please their owner so they are easy to train. Don't bite, mastiffs would pin an intruder to the ground with their size rather than bite. Family dogs that are extremely patient with young children and other animals. Aren't the type to be barking all the time, mine barks once when it wants in from outdoors then waits a few minutes before barking again. Minimal slobber and shedding compared to other dogs their size.

Disadvantages - Need a strong owner as a puppy who knows what they are doing such as exerting dominance over the dog so they know who the master is. Not a dog you can play outside for hours with as they get tired even after long walks. Very strong so walking can be a challenge at times if it decides it needs to check something out. Short life span and joint issues, at 6 my dog already gets fairly stiff and limps after running around.
395995_10150975939782054_38927817_n.jpg
16179587_10154806170076070_2634425690721571673_o.jpg
Last edited by 4 on Bruyns, edited 0 times in total.
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:29 pm

Post by Lee »

Go get a dog from a shelter. Spend some time with it first.
Florida Chris
PostsCOLON 2589
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 7:06 am

Post by Florida Chris »

I have had many dogs over the years. My parents live out in the country, and always had at least 2 dogs. My parents since (in order) I was a small child have had a Irish Settler, Black lab, English settler, black labish mix breed, Golden Retriever, Black Lab, Yellow Lab, and currently have a Black Lab.

The first dog, I owned myself was a Black Lab, I got here as a puppy about 20 years ago. I used (still am, but not my field of work anymore) to be a forester. I took that dog to work with me out in the bush every day. She was a great dog and lived 14yrs. My 2nd dog was a White Sheppard. My Black lab was getting pretty old and a buddy of mine parents bread White Sheppard's. My dog was the runt of the litter. They did not think she would make the requirements to sell for a $1000, so I got her for a couple of hundred without papers, which I could not care less of. This dog turned out to be a beauty of a dog. She lived to be 10 and passed away about 5 years ago. This was the best dog I have ever had and probably ever will. She was loyal, listened well, played hard but was also calm when needed. She came to work with me right as a puppy to about 6 and then lived like a normal dog. It was hard when my Sheppard died, and I went without a dog for about 4yrs. But after many years of my daughter bugging we started looking at the human society and other rescues places. I have had purebreds in the past, but at this point would rather save a dogs life, then buy a purebred. Not to mention mutts are usually much better family dogs, and are usually healthier and are a lot cheaper.

We looked for a couple of months and then about 1yr ago we got our current dog Mavis (daughter named her). I got her from a rescue shelter in Sudbury. She is a bread of dog called a Carolina with a mix of a few other things is the best guess from the shelter and my vet.
thom54
PostsCOLON 7459
JoinedCOLON Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:00 pm
LocationCOLON Kingston, ON

Post by thom54 »

grew up with american cocker spaniels - loyal, good family dogs, but need to be socialized early or they are very protective of their family unit. Safe dogs, but just annoying when they bark at fucking garbage cans on the street.

My Fiance and I are planning on getting a Viszla soon. Medium-large dog, athletic, low schedder, no drool, good with kids/others, obedient, no real health issues but expensive to purchase unfortunately.

My fiance grew up with Whippets, great dogs. Athletic couch potatoes - just need a good sprint then rest of day are docile. no drool, low shedding. Tame in public but warm in the home. Safe. I really love them too. We're getting a Viszla b/c I like to roughhouse with dogs and that doesn't fly too much with whippets because of their build.
Bruyns
PostsCOLON 7177
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 am

Post by Bruyns »

Both Rottweilers my family had were shelter dogs so nothing wrong with looking that route. Mine was $600 and I specifically wanted an 8 week old puppy so I could train it and there weren't any options for that type of dog in Barrie shelters.
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828

Post by Lee »

Yeah if I was getting a dog not from a shelter, it would be a Rottweiler pup so it could be properly trained, used to my daughter and be family friendly while protecting them.
Florida Chris
PostsCOLON 2589
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 7:06 am

Post by Florida Chris »

Bruyns wroteCOLONBoth Rottweilers my family had were shelter dogs so nothing wrong with looking that route. Mine was $600 and I specifically wanted an 8 week old puppy so I could train it and there weren't any options for that type of dog in Barrie shelters.

Yep, if your patient almost every type of dog shows up at a the shelters. Let them know what you want, and they will usually be willing to let you know when what you are looking for arrives.
timwebb1212
PostsCOLON 720
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:40 pm

Post by timwebb1212 »

I've got a half-boxer half-German Shepard, and it's the best behaved dog I've ever seen.

German Shepards in general are great because they are very eager to please their owners.
Tony
PostsCOLON 11222
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 10:29 pm
LocationCOLON Nevada

Post by Tony »

[insert asian eating dogs joke here]
Click banner to view current roster and picks
dave1959
PostsCOLON 5138
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:43 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario

Post by dave1959 »

Tony wroteCOLON[insert asian eating dogs joke here]
lol...couldn't find anything, or didn't want to risk googling it?
Tony
PostsCOLON 11222
LocationCOLON Nevada

Post by Tony »

laziness... plus Paul already hates me enough
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

Nah
He already knew it wasn't gonna attract much laughter
Not cuz its highly offensive for me and will get mad at it or anything. I know they do that shit
Its just that the joke is old as hell and not that funny anymore lol
timwebb1212
PostsCOLON 720
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:40 pm

Post by timwebb1212 »

I would've laughed
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090

Post by kimmer »

Anyone have experiences with Shiba-inu??
foofnik
PostsCOLON 1572
JoinedCOLON Sun May 31, 2015 2:58 pm
LocationCOLON Long Island, New York

Post by foofnik »

kimmer wroteCOLONAnyone have experiences with Shiba-inu??
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090

Post by kimmer »

Lol ya
I didnt even know what they were until i recognized the rape dog meme and said ohhh so that's a shiba breed

Nowadays its a trend and every other goddamn rich wannabe asian in my neighbourhood buys them. They cost like $3k
Fuxk that

Avoiding those and corgi. Another asian fever breed
My condo has like a fuckin corgi club. 5 azns with corgie walkin em at the same time every evening. Fuk off
Tony
PostsCOLON 11222
LocationCOLON Nevada

Post by Tony »

Hm, that's a good name... "Rapey the dog"
dave1959
PostsCOLON 5138
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:43 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario

Post by dave1959 »

My wife and I got a Bichon Frise back in 1997.

He was spoiled rotten (my wife carried him in one arm cradled more often than not)

he lived 14.5 years and when we had to put him down on Dec 16, 2011, it was the hardest thing I've ever done.
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828

Post by Lee »

So you had a cat
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to