2017 Draft Discussion

BUTTON_POST_REPLY
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

2017 Draft Discussion

Post by Matthew »

Op saved for whatever shoalzie wants to put here, but given the 2016 draft discussion was created a year before that draft, I figured we could open this one a few months before the 2017 draft.
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Re: 2017 Draft Discussion

Post by Matthew »

I have pick 8/13/wherever Montreal finishes. I may be looking to move my picks following the expansion draft, given this is an extremely weak entry draft.
hong57
PostsCOLON 7106
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:38 pm

Post by hong57 »

Ya relatively weak.. but may still get some good prospects but it's kinda crapshoot in the first round
#91 - John Tavares
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136
JoinedCOLON Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:37 pm

Post by CasperX22 »

Matthew wroteCOLONOp saved for whatever shoalzie wants to put here, but given the 2016 draft discussion was created a year before that draft, I figured we could open this one a few months before the 2017 draft.
Just make good picks haha.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

I haven't paid too much attention to the first round of this draft because I don't have my pick. What makes this a weak draft? It is just weak compared to recent drafts? I don't know if there is a Eichel/McDavid/Matthews/Laine quality player at the top of the draft. There's still gotta be some decent talent but not to the level of the past few drafts with so-called "generational talent". Where would Nolan Patrick go if he was in any of the last few drafts?
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
dave1959
PostsCOLON 5138
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:43 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario

Post by dave1959 »

I've read the top 10 is a lot weaker than normal
The BBKL Insider
PostsCOLON 22628
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 8:46 pm
LocationCOLON San Juan, Puerto Rico

Post by The BBKL Insider »

not Nico

he's a superstar
thom54
PostsCOLON 7459
JoinedCOLON Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:00 pm
LocationCOLON Kingston, ON

Post by thom54 »

Nolan Ryan is gonna be a two way force I think. Good for Bbkl. He'll be a borderline #1 C on a championship team
The BBKL Insider
PostsCOLON 22628

thom54 wroteCOLONNolan Ryan is gonna be a two way force I think. Good for Bbkl. He'll be a borderline #1 C on a championship team
Sam Bennett 2.0 = pass
thom54
PostsCOLON 7459

Post by thom54 »

Ouch!

I think I am making him available in the expansion draft. Rather protect a real asset
dave1959
PostsCOLON 5138
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:43 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario

Post by dave1959 »

thom54 wroteCOLONNolan Ryan is gonna be a two way force I think. Good for Bbkl. He'll be a borderline #1 C on a championship team
helluva baseball player too!
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

I think Nolan Patrick would go 4th-6th in each of the last 2 drafts. Patrick doesn't put up elite offence the way top 5 players from past years have. Not sure where Hischier would go.

But iits the rest that worry me. I've seen lists where a guy is 3rd on one list and doesn't make the top 30 on another list. It seems while there may be a few slightly better choices, this really is a "crapshoot" as Hong described it. Hopefully this isn't as bad as the 96 or 99 drafts. I think we could see some surprising picks early on in both the NHl and BbkL
thom54
PostsCOLON 7459

Post by thom54 »

Man I suck woth names early in the morning. I have Steve's disease it seems
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136

Post by CasperX22 »

Matthew wroteCOLONI think Nolan Patrick would go 4th-6th in each of the last 2 drafts. Patrick doesn't put up elite offence the way top 5 players from past years have. Not sure where Hischier would go.

But iits the rest that worry me. I've seen lists where a guy is 3rd on one list and doesn't make the top 30 on another list. It seems while there may be a few slightly better choices, this really is a "crapshoot" as Hong described it. Hopefully this isn't as bad as the 96 or 99 drafts. I think we could see some surprising picks early on in both the NHl and BbkL
No way he would go top 6 in either of the last 2 drafts.
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136

Post by CasperX22 »

dave1959 wroteCOLONI've read the top 10 is a lot weaker than normal
Well when 20+ guys could legitimately go in top 10 and not because they should be there...yeah.
Bruyns
PostsCOLON 7177
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 am

Post by Bruyns »

CasperX22 wroteCOLON
Matthew wroteCOLONI think Nolan Patrick would go 4th-6th in each of the last 2 drafts. Patrick doesn't put up elite offence the way top 5 players from past years have. Not sure where Hischier would go.

I think there is an argument he is more highly regarded then Dubois, Zacha and maybe Juolevi who went top 6. Injury slowed down the hype, but heading into the season he was thought to be a potential star player and sure thing #1.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

CasperX22 wroteCOLON

I'd think he would go above Zacha for sure, and be on a similar level to hanifin and possibly strome in 2015.

In 2016, I'd think he would be above juolevi, and on a similar level to tkachuk and dubois at the time of the draft. Hischier probably the same boat.

He's had injuries which means he hasn't gotten the hype a lot of other top picks have accumulated at wjc.

But he is definitely going into the draft as one of the weakest 1oa in the 2000s.
timwebb1212
PostsCOLON 720
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:40 pm

Post by timwebb1212 »

CasperX22 wroteCOLON

He absolutely would lol.

Over Dubois, Juolevi, and Zacha for sure. Could make the arguments regarding Tkachuk, Hanifin, Strome, and Marner.
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044
JoinedCOLON Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 am

Post by Nick »

I don't think he'd be in convo with Hanifin, Strome or Marner, they are a higher skill set, which is first draft concern. Strome & Marner were amazing prospects in their draft class that happened to have two generational talents at the top of it. Some of what we're seeing creep into comparison now is post-hoc analysis of Strome not being in the NHL, that info wasn't available at the time, and it's way too early to close the door now.

We know Marner is freaking awesome. But we don't know what Strome will be like as a rookie, who knows it could be head to head with nolan next year for the Calder ? Wouldn't surprise me to see another great rookie class next year with names like McAvoy, Boeser,Sanheim, Chabot, Barzal, Puljuarvi & Kaprizov in addition to Patrick/Strome. Crazy league turnover right now.
The BBKL Insider
PostsCOLON 22628

Daniel Sprong

ROY 2017-18
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to