VGK-NSH

Trades that have been confirmed on the forum and have been reviewed and processed by the league are moved here.
BUTTON_POST_REPLY
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Re: VGK-NSH

Post by kyuss »

Matthew wroteCOLONThe cap is apparently going to stay flat for the next 3 years, so it will become a concern.
2* years
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

kyuss wroteCOLON
Matthew wroteCOLONThe cap is apparently going to stay flat for the next 3 years, so it will become a concern.
2* years
Either way, it will make the expansion process interesting.
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

Malette18 wroteCOLONWe may overvalue our top 10 picks a bit. They are important but in way are they the key to the rebuild.

Everyone always agrees in that being top heavy isn't good enough, but yet we see a top pick as the holy grail of value. Just a weird comparison when laid out side by side.

Edit: This isn't in attempt to rationalize this trade lol.

In fantasy, one player putting up huge numbers on a bad team is kind of a waste unless you're planning to build around said player right away. It's not like real NHL where a young superstar raises the play of the surrounding talent.

Connor McDavid (at the time) wouldn't have been very impactful for (BBKL) Dallas but he'd be very impactful for a contender like Toronto. If you can trade a young player for a boatload of assets...why hang onto that single player that will be harder to trade once they get out of their entry level contract? Or you plan on keeping them for they're entire career and hopefully you can win with them.

I think teams that win in this league basically needs to hit the sweet spot of having all their players contribute at a high level at the same time (and stay healthy).
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

It's just moreso the attitude of what true rebuilding is in a h2h dynasty league of this sort/
In my early days, starting with barely nothing + no starting goalie and collecting decent assets along the way only to fuck it all up over and over again. Also, the balance the team must be achieved with in terms of GP/GGP etc. it is truly a tough gig in comparison to inheriting to start with a fully iced competing dynasty team.

What I basically wanted to say was what kapG said... you need to upkeep quality GP while collecting enough elite/relevant future pieces long enough until you're "bursting at the seams"
The year that you stamp down and feel that "this is my year"... likely will NEVER BE the year lol. It is hard to fathom and admit it especially to yourself.

The way I think is this: for every "h2h stud" in prime years it may cost you anywhere from 2-4 "elite/relevant" future pieces to land, depending on the tier. we're talking 1sts/prospects for like Malkin or what have you.
You may need to give up maybe a couple mid level future pieces for a H2H-heavy but NOT elite players sometimes if you're lucky with the timing of the season. Example would include 2nd/3rds + B level prospect for like Cizikas.
Work your way down to see just how much currency you have left to play with if you're gonna hypothetically build your team for success in the playoffs.

You need to possibly fill at least what, 10 to 15 pieces that are H2H geared and 3 to 5 elite pieces that really get it done clutch-wise right
By association (accounting for your existing players that you can use for competing), you need like, at least 30+ prospects/picks worthwhile for you to be able to package and convert into H2H players.

It wont be always black and white but I think as a general rule of thumb, you need to quantify what owning "futures bursting at the seams" really represent for your team before you can SERIOUSLY make proper noise in the playoffs. Dallas came close last few yrs, and in my opinion, PHI (LEE) failed because he cashed in too early. At the same time, bryuns BUF became a powerhouse with his existing farm + excellent trading skills.

I want to for my own information, know approximately how many assets they had to convert to H2H pieces willy and bryuns. really interested to see how much they had to collect
Bruyns
PostsCOLON 7177
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 am

Post by Bruyns »

I used to keep a trade transaction thread so you can see early deals I made. I was lucky in that most of the young players I wanted to keep panned out and I didn't hold onto many busts. I traded away some young guys I obviously regret.

http://bbkl.ca/download/file.php?id=829&mode=view

13 1sts in 2013 and 14 combined obviously is what turned me into a contender, but a lot were late picks and that team was really bad. I also think some other picks were moved since if you look at my trades I know I didn't trade that many 1sts. Definitely make some rookie mistakes and undervalued picks when I joined as well.

Also I know Paul knows I was joking and he isn't the same GM now as he was in the past and is actually good at building a team, he just doesn't have the assets/patience to do it here.
KapG
PostsCOLON 11908
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 5:46 pm
LocationCOLON Toronto (beach area)

Post by KapG »

Shoalzie wroteCOLON
KapG wroteCOLONYah but when you have enough of them...like when you’re bursting at the seems with them you start offloading the prospects for already established players.

Look at Buffalo and Dallas as examples

Right.

The salary cap and the waiver exempt rules prevent teams from hoarding over an extended period of time. Mik gets a lot of crap for having a lot of waiver exempt players that never plays. He's in the luxury position where he doesn't have to force his 19/20/21 year old players into his lineup. He can wait a few years before he has to use them while he competes.

That's what I'd like to be able to do eventually. Compete with established players and wait on your youth to get the point where they can help you and you can ultimately move out your pricier veteran players for futures. You can "live off the land" rather hoping you can win in the trade market.

I don't know how long it'll take for me to get where I want to be but I'm fine going my route. You do you, I'll do me.
Didn’t mean to offend you if that’s what happened here.

Was just sharing my thoughts about rebuilding out loud. Nothing was directed at any one team. Not like I’m the greatest GM ever lol. I’ve floated around mediocrity in this league forever. Main thing is having fun anyways.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

No, I'm not arguing with you, Kyle. Teams that collect picks and/or prospects, they're only worth anything if you can hit it big in the draft or you can trade them for a lot of great stuff.

If you can take one valuable asset and turn into multiple assets and the turn those into multiple assets...you can do a lot more than just hanging to a single asset.
Jordan (VGK)
PostsCOLON 1062
JoinedCOLON Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:29 pm
LocationCOLON Ottawa, ON

Post by Jordan (VGK) »

This thread will be an all time argument zone
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Best thread I've had the pleasure of reading through
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

why did i type so much
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136
JoinedCOLON Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:37 pm

Post by CasperX22 »

Still triggered Mik wouldn't take the bet.
thom54
PostsCOLON 7459
JoinedCOLON Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:00 pm
LocationCOLON Kingston, ON

Post by thom54 »

that Darling Vezna clause is still the best lmfao
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

To be fair, Darling had a .923 save percentage through his first 75 NHL games and a .930 save percentage in the 53 games he played in the AHL. So it was in the realm of possibilities.
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

It's not crazy because a team signed him to be a potential #1. Guys like him or Carter Hutton...career backups that show signs of maybe being a dependable #1 if given extra starts. You take a gamble by paying them and giving them the crease on a regular basis. Chicago couldn't afford paying him what Carolina gave him and they gave him a chance compete for the starting spot. Like with any free agent move...it can fail or work out great. It obviously was a bad gamble for the Hurricanes and Darling played his way out of the NHL.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

It was a bad trade when it was made, and even worse now.
Tony
PostsCOLON 11222
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 10:29 pm
LocationCOLON Nevada

Post by Tony »

Jesus Christ...
Click banner to view current roster and picks
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136
JoinedCOLON Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:37 pm

Post by CasperX22 »

Matthew wroteCOLONTo be fair, Darling had a .923 save percentage through his first 75 NHL games and a .930 save percentage in the 53 games he played in the AHL. So it was in the realm of possibilities.
It wasn't if you're not retarded.
CanadianRednek(TOR)
PostsCOLON 176
JoinedCOLON Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:01 pm
LocationCOLON Kingston, Ontario

Post by CanadianRednek(TOR) »

Fuck guys even Carolina has moved on from this conversation. Has nothing that's happened over the last two years peaked your guys interest enough to put this to rest?
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

CanadianRednek(TOR) wroteCOLONFuck guys even Carolina has moved on from this conversation. Has nothing that's happened over the last two years peaked your guys interest enough to put this to rest?
This remains the most controversial BBKL trade since I've started.
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to