the pick OTC has been traded.
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:29 pm

Re: 2013 Entry Draft Discussion.

Post by Lee »

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-trian ... awks-dance
Great Hockey Debates

In which we employ the Socratic method in an attempt to settle the issues that have long plagued hockey fans.

This Week’s Debate: The draft is on Sunday. If you are an NHL GM or front-office member, should you just go ahead and make your first-round pick?

In Favor: Yes. Please. Just make your pick.

Opposed: Hold on, we have a few things we’d like to say first.

In Favor: No! Look, I promise you, nobody cares about what you’re about to say. Please just shut up and make your pick.

Opposed: I’ll just wait here while 19 of us file onto the stage.

In Favor: Oh god.

Opposed: First, on behalf of our entire organization …

In Favor: Just pick.

Opposed: We’d like to offer our sincere congratulations to the Chicago Blackhawks for their Stanley Cup victory.

In Favor: Stop talking.

Opposed: We would also like to thank the New Jersey Devils for their hospitality in hosting this year’s draft.

In Favor: We all hate you so much right now.

Opposed: Next, we would like to send a shout-out to the three dozen fans attending our annual draft party back at Uncle Zeke’s Sports Bar and Bait Shop.

In Favor: SHUT UP! JUST PICK!

Opposed: And on a personal note, I’d like to wish a happy birthday to the niece of our assistant to the associate director of amateur scouting, Pacific Northwest region.

In Favor: [Punching self repeatedly in the ears.]

Opposed: She’s 4 and a half today.

In Favor: GAH! Why does every team insist on doing this every single year? We don’t care about any of this. All we want you to do is make your pick, hand over a jersey, and get the hell off the stage. And that’s especially true this year, since the entire draft is being squeezed into one day because of the lockout. Please, we are begging you, move it along!

Opposed: I will now give the microphone to some lowly scout who has never spoken publicly in his entire life, as he stutters his way through our selection over the course of the next eight minutes.

In Favor: That’s it, I’m turning this off. I hate you. I hate all of you. And I hate that the league lets you do this every year, rather than telling you to knock it off and just make your damn pick. I hate everything. I’m done. The draft is ruined. There is nothing that could redeem it.

Gary Bettman: We have a trade to announce.

In Favor: I love the draft!

The Final Verdict: Please just shut up and make the pick.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

Pending deal posted earlier this morning involving the now current pick...I'd assume Tony will pick when he's around to confirm his deal.
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
Monk
PostsCOLON 1762
JoinedCOLON Wed May 05, 2010 2:03 pm

Post by Monk »

2 propositions for next years draft:

1. start the draft the day after the memorial cup, that way all the major tourneys/playoffs are over with and we have all the info we need

2. 8 hour time limit, 12 hours is too long
hong57
PostsCOLON 7106
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:38 pm

Post by hong57 »

i'd prefer to keep it 12 hours for the first 3 rounds .. for 8 hours when a couple picks are selected just when i slept.. then i will completely missed my pick when i reached my office.. i do try to come up with some players in my head but it's not always the case that i can do...
as for after memorial cup tourney.. i don't mind it
#91 - John Tavares
Monk
PostsCOLON 1762
JoinedCOLON Wed May 05, 2010 2:03 pm

Post by Monk »

^^ ok true that we can keep it the way it is forgot about our non na members
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828

Post by Lee »

I'd really rather have the draft done by the time the real NHL draft starts. Either that or start after the real NHL draft starts. It's quite obvious that picks are being dragged out to see who drafts who, adding false value to these 5-6-7th round picks.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

8 hours is fair only if there's a dark period in the middle of the night (let's say midnight to 4 a.m. Eastern)...but have that for only the first 3 rounds so it's kinda like having a 12 hour window. Then for rounds 4-7, go 8 hours straight through with no dark period.

I think we could've started this a week earlier than we did...I don't think it made that big of difference. To our credit, we're going to be almost done with this in time for Sunday. We'll probably still be working our way through the 6th or 7th round by then but we'll probably be done by early next week at the latest. If we want to use the Memorial Cup as the milestone, that makes sense or just plan or having this draft start 3 weeks before NHL draft day(s).
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

Lee wroteCOLONI'd really rather have the draft done by the time the real NHL draft starts. Either that or start after the real NHL draft starts. It's quite obvious that picks are being dragged out to see who drafts who, adding false value to these 5-6-7th round picks.

The debate has been, do we draft entirely before the NHL draft or after? I would rather we be completely done before the NHL draft happens or just wait until it happens and then start. As you said, it is a bit unfair to allow the late rounds of the draft to occur during or after the draft so teams here no who actually got picked and don't fall victim to picking an undrafted guy.

Considering we do the waiver draft in the fall when we know where college and Euro free agents have signed...it wouldn't be easy to do that draft before any of those moves occur.
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828

Post by Lee »

Nice, I was considering Dea and that was the pick that I was going to use.
Tony
PostsCOLON 11222
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 10:29 pm
LocationCOLON Nevada

Post by Tony »

I was hoping to pick him somewhere in the 6th, but when I saw him on the top on the list you made I figured I might as well try to trade for the pick (and hope Chuck didn't take him)
Click banner to view current roster and picks
Tony
PostsCOLON 11222
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 10:29 pm
LocationCOLON Nevada

Post by Tony »

and btw, the first three rounds are the easiest ... no idea why you need 12 hours to make those picks
Click banner to view current roster and picks
Sensfanjosh
PostsCOLON 4043
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Post by Sensfanjosh »

I'd be fine with shortening the time limits, but agree with Scott in terms of having a dark period. Allow people to continue to pick during it, but the clock isn't running or something like that. Would be good too if people were forward thinking enough to shop picks prior to them being on the clock, have a few deals somewhat in place in case their target is gone to keep things moving along.
shooker
PostsCOLON 4382
JoinedCOLON Thu May 13, 2010 11:05 am

Post by shooker »

Tony wroteCOLONand btw, the first three rounds are the easiest ... no idea why you need 12 hours to make those picks
sleep, work etc. People can't always make it on every 8+ hours. 12 is needed as in the early rounds, 1 or 2 spots are much more valuable. would suck to lose your guy to an inability to check bbkl during an 8 hour work shift lol.
Sensfanjosh
PostsCOLON 4043
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Post by Sensfanjosh »

That's true but if you know it's going to be close send a list to an impartial member. Not too hard to do this smoothly if people prepare a bit.
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828

Post by Lee »

Lists help with that, Shook. I think Hong is the only one to do so.
shooker
PostsCOLON 4382

Post by shooker »

Sensfanjosh wroteCOLONThat's true but if you know it's going to be close send a list to an impartial member. Not too hard to do this smoothly if people prepare a bit.
I agree, but we will be 6 rounds in before the nhl draft starts... We don't need to rush this anymore than it already has been. If you saw early years, the amount of time outs would have shocked you. Third and sometimes even second rounders, just not bothered to be picked. So no need to rush. I also gave a list to steve for a pick that I wasn't going to be there for, a lot of guys do that already.

This is the offseason, we have all summer. No need to speed up a process that already is working quite well imo. At least compared to previous years.
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828

Post by Lee »

Some of us want to spend the summer actually having a summer, not waiting around for an entire 8 hour clock (as I had to do yesterday, and then stayed up late to pick), etc.
shooker
PostsCOLON 4382

Post by shooker »

Lee wroteCOLONLists help with that, Shook. I think Hong is the only one to do so.
A lot do. I have and I have also been told "in case I am not back in time, I want X or X" by four different people. Who all did make it back in time. it is the odd guy that doesn't and more often than not, we are waiting for their work shift to be over or them to wake up to take their pick. Its not a big deal if we gotta wait for a guy to finish work to make a pick imo. we'll have this draft done before the nhl one starts when 4 rounds was our goal. That to me is a system working.
shooker
PostsCOLON 4382

Post by shooker »

Lee wroteCOLONSome of us want to spend the summer actually having a summer, not waiting around for an entire 8 hour clock (as I had to do yesterday, and then stayed up late to pick), etc.
leave a list with someone. :D
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to