2013 Waiver draft Discussion.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044
JoinedCOLON Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 am

Re: 2013 Waiver draft Discussion.

Post by Nick »

gooker wroteCOLONI got it. Anton and lee are both important members of league. I'm not. from the sounds of it I stole anton guy under the rug. I'll just give him jooris and then ilill jus quit the league how about that

hoping this is all jokes :x

angry communist jokes.
anton
PostsCOLON 7111
JoinedCOLON Mon May 10, 2010 10:03 pm
LocationCOLON Orange County

Post by anton »

Nick wroteCOLONJust what is common sense though.

You say well asleep, midnight to 8am ? which time zone (relative to the owner of the pick?), what about guys that work night shift... or work starts at 6am and the pick is made at 8am... 6 hours later you're still at work. That seems like common sense to me... supposed to be fun not getting screwed by details of inconvenience - however when trying to co-ordinate 30 guys, who live around the world, at various jobs and life-styles.... precedent has somewhat been set with the responsibility of the pick holder to share a list -> if that is done and the pick is still missed, I believe the league would understand and accommodate in some way.

I'm all for a better system, it just seems a lot of guys only care when it fucks them, and there's a good group who expect more diligence to be paid.
like i said, you're never going to please everyone but you obviously make decisions based on the majority.

the vast majority of bbkl lives either in the Eastern or Pacific time zones and sleeps at night.
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044

Post by Nick »

So for future drafts, you're suggesting something like:

X hour windows. But the clock doesn't tick from midnight eastern to 8am pacific (could I write that any more confusing? ahaha)... from 12AM EST to 11AM EST.

?
anton
PostsCOLON 7111

Post by anton »

if by 12PM you mean AM, then yea that seems fine
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044

Post by Nick »

anton wroteCOLONif by 12PM you mean AM, then yea that seems fine

ahaha my bad.
anton
PostsCOLON 7111

Post by anton »

and by freeze i dont mean picks cant be made - if you're up in the middle of the night then obviously pick. but the clock for the next pick can't start till the freeze is lifted the next morning.
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044

Post by Nick »

anton wroteCOLONand by freeze i dont mean picks cant be made - if you're up in the middle of the night then obviously pick. but the clock for the next pick can't start till the freeze is lifted the next morning.

yep -> Clock doesn't tick.

so if your pick goes live at 10PM EST, and you have a 6 hour window, 2 hours are used until midnight, but you'll have 4 more hours to pick, until 3pm EST.

risk at this point, is getting drafts done... no? In addition to complacency it's also easy to abuse.
anton
PostsCOLON 7111

Post by anton »

i dont see that risk. it's not like every person will be using the full 6 hours + overnight.

people still make picks rapidly when they're online. all this prevents is them getting skipped over night. and in reality, how many picks are made overnight anyway? 1 or 2? the effect on the length of the draft will be minimal.
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044

Post by Nick »

anton wroteCOLONi dont see that risk. it's not like every person will be using the full 6 hours + overnight.

people still make picks rapidly when they're online. all this prevents is them getting skipped over night. and in reality, how many picks are made overnight anyway? 1 or 2? the effect on the length of the draft will be minimal.

Not arguing with you, laying out details to make sure they have been considered.
Mike
Test 2
PostsCOLON 11390
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 7:08 pm

Post by Mike »

And as we've seen already people will take their full allotted time to make a trade. It's fully their right to do so, but frankly we don't have enough time for that in this draft.

I'd be happy to call this the final BBKL waiver draft. When we did our first waiver/dispersal draft I was under the impression it would be a one-and-done. It was then decided to go to 3 rounds, and soon after down to the single round of 30 picks. One of the goals of the waiver draft has been to add some value to teams at the bottom. I don't think that hope has ever really been fulfilled.

It's always going to be a busy time administratively when we're conducting the draft, exacerbated this year by CBS's horrendous unreliability.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

There's no other good way to distribute the Euro and college free agents...we just leave more time to do this next year. This should've been done at the beginning of the month at the latest. As we talked about, the CBS issues put a lot of our plans on hold.

It's obvious that this year isn't as robust a waiver draft pool but until there's a system to distribute the players that can't be drafted in the entry draft...one round of this seems more that sensible. Just like the entry draft...you might find someone you like or you might find it better to trade out of your spot. It's another fun part of this league each season.
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Post by kyuss »

agree Scott.

btw, the current timeframe is 5 hrs, not 6, just to make things worse!

Good chances my pick (5 from now) will go on the clock over my night.
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:29 pm

Post by Lee »

Personally I find the waiver draft imperative to the bbkl.

As far as the other stuff, I was pointing out a rule that was laid out. The ball was dropped on the waiver draft this year. I'm not meaning to call out anyone, but it is what it is. The pick was skipped due to tight time restraints and a lack of an over night stoppage . Nothing personal Anton. Regarding sarcasm, it's difficult to detect online.
Tony
PostsCOLON 11222
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 10:29 pm
LocationCOLON Nevada

Post by Tony »

Must keep the waiver draft from what Scott said ... one round, the way it is now. Gotta start sooner to allow a little dead time at night though.
Click banner to view current roster and picks
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044

Post by Nick »

Maybe...

Does the waiver draft need to end before roster submission? Have it wrap up for first roster lock could work as well.

I believe there is a lot of info to come up in the next 7 days - there will be some surprise players on teams, that's adding value to waiver draft.
Mike
Test 2
PostsCOLON 11390
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 7:08 pm

Post by Mike »

Submit ranked lists and have it processed like a ranked ballot. boom. 20 minute waiver draft.
Tony
PostsCOLON 11222
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 10:29 pm
LocationCOLON Nevada

Post by Tony »

Boooooooring
Click banner to view current roster and picks
thom54
PostsCOLON 7459
JoinedCOLON Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:00 pm
LocationCOLON Kingston, ON