2016 Waiver Draft Discussion

BUTTON_POST_REPLY
Sensfanjosh
PostsCOLON 4043
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: [FREE AGENTS] 2016-17 Free Agent Claims

Post by Sensfanjosh »

The way the rule is written, as Matthew pointed out, suggests a sign draft eligible player can be added between the waiver draft and roster submission. I don't think it was the intention of the rule to create a small bubble for this purpose nor can NHL teams sign draft eligible players so I think this needs to be tidied up. We should allow for the player to be added this time though as no rule was broken
foofnik
PostsCOLON 1572
JoinedCOLON Sun May 31, 2015 2:58 pm
LocationCOLON Long Island, New York

Post by foofnik »

NHL teams can absolutely sign draft eligible players as long as they've gone through the draft once. Different for the Euros I believe but Schneider was passed over, Calgary signed him, he should be free to claim in here. A BBKLer could have grabbed him in the entry or waiver drafts this summer but here he is, still unowned and has an NHL contract. Claim should be fine.

I was gonna grab him tomorrow actually as I'm surprised a slide eligible player was still there even if I don't think he's that great. So kudos for Koomz for finding him and taking him.
Sensfanjosh
PostsCOLON 4043
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Post by Sensfanjosh »

foofnik wroteCOLONNHL teams can absolutely sign draft eligible players as long as they've gone through the draft once. Different for the Euros I believe but Schneider was passed over, Calgary signed him, he should be free to claim in here. A BBKLer could have grabbed him in the entry or waiver drafts this summer but here he is, still unowned and has an NHL contract. Claim should be fine.

I was gonna grab him tomorrow actually as I'm surprised a slide eligible player was still there even if I don't think he's that great. So kudos for Koomz for finding him and taking him.
This I'm pretty sure is not true, if a guy is draft eligible that means he's eligible to be drafted and hence not a UFA. A believe you need to hit a certain age in order to be free to sign where ever you want.
Monk
PostsCOLON 1762
JoinedCOLON Wed May 05, 2010 2:03 pm

Post by Monk »

How is that not true^^

Matt Luff signed an elc this off-season, he is 19 years old, he passed through the draft once therefore he is someone that can be claimed by our teams.. Nick Schneider is the same however he was drafted and then signed, this again makes him eligible to be claimed during this period
Bruyns
PostsCOLON 7177
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 am

[FREE AGENTS] 2016-17 Free Agent Claims

Post by Bruyns »

Ondrej Vala is another example, he was my one undrafted guy and the Stars just signed him. Josh isn't completely wrong since I think there is some date range since I don't think the Leafs could have just signed Brooks a day before the draft rather than using a pick on him.
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:29 pm

Post by Lee »

You'd think after 7?8? years, we would have our rules posted somewhere as this comes up every year.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Post by kyuss »

Sensfanjosh wroteCOLONThe way the rule is written, as Matthew pointed out, suggests a sign draft eligible player can be added between the waiver draft and roster submission. I don't think it was the intention of the rule to create a small bubble for this purpose..
it actually was.

I remember Nick inside the CC vouching for it, and clearly it wasn't alone if that passed (i.e. had the majority in favour of it)
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

Lee wroteCOLONYou'd think after 7?8? years, we would have our rules posted somewhere as this comes up every year.
this gets posted every year in the first post of the Waiver Draft thread to clarify what happens once that draft is over.

We can't read that for GMs though, they have to make the effort to read that themselves, which I understand is a significant hurdle.
Arian The Insider
PostsCOLON 7304
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:05 pm

Post by Arian The Insider »

This is fine.. the rule posted in the waiver draft thread (every year) seems pretty clear to me..
Click Oilers image below for full team roster
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828

Post by Lee »

It gets posted there, but not in the free agency thread, which is where it needs to be.
Arian The Insider
PostsCOLON 7304
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:05 pm

Post by Arian The Insider »

Lee wroteCOLONIt gets posted there, but not in the free agency thread, which is where it needs to be.
Fair point. Can someone with admin powers add it?
Click Oilers image below for full team roster
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828

Post by Lee »

'Member when I had mod powers? Fun times.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

Arian The Insider wroteCOLON
Lee wroteCOLONIt gets posted there, but not in the free agency thread, which is where it needs to be.
Fair point. Can someone with admin powers add it?
done.

Though Scott first post did read "(NHL signed, un-owned)" for that matter, without specifying any restriction beyond that.
koomzzz
PostsCOLON 1245
JoinedCOLON Wed May 25, 2016 2:15 pm
LocationCOLON Cleveland, OH

Post by koomzzz »

Does this mean he's mine? Lol
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

koomzzz wroteCOLONDoes this mean he's mine? Lol
I guess the question is... who?
koomzzz
PostsCOLON 1245
JoinedCOLON Wed May 25, 2016 2:15 pm
LocationCOLON Cleveland, OH

Post by koomzzz »

kyuss wroteCOLON
koomzzz wroteCOLONDoes this mean he's mine? Lol
I guess the question is... who?
This is all about Nick Schnieder
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

if you put that exact name in capfriendly or similar, it doesn't return any NHL contract though
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

Yeah, if a player has played a full season in North America I believe they can be signed by an NHL team.

Tkachev was disallowed to be signed by the oilers. But there are many instances of players being allowed.
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

kyuss wroteCOLONif you put that exact name in capfriendly or similar, it doesn't return any NHL contract though
It returns a 3 year entry on generalfanager
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
Bruyns
PostsCOLON 7177
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 am

[FREE AGENTS] 2016-17 Free Agent Claims

Post by Bruyns »

kyuss wroteCOLONif you put that exact name in capfriendly or similar, it doesn't return any NHL contract though
http://www.generalfanager.com/players/2228
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to