BUF - OTT

Trades that have been confirmed on the forum and have been reviewed and processed by the league are moved here.
KapG
PostsCOLON 11908
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 5:46 pm
LocationCOLON Toronto (beach area)

Re: BUF - OTT

Post by KapG »

kimmer wroteCOLON
KapG wroteCOLONToo hard to recoup assets with old players which is why people stay away from them especially when GMs aren’t asset rich

This trade makes no sense to me from Ottawa perspective but what do I know lol
he's been doing this the last 3 years on purpose lol
why do u think he say that "draft schmaft" thing, as if he can make it work or something lol.
he doesn't intend on taking the proper/right way to recover his team
he wants to act as a farm dump for contending friends over and over and over again until the team is run to the ground basically.
I don’t think that’s Billy’s goal. I think Billy just prefers to try and actively build a team using his picks and stuff. It’s just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay harder to do now a days. Like...it’s almost impossible. I spun that wheel for like 6-7 seasons and got no where
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

I don't think it's impossible. I think you just need to make solid value trades while doing it...unfortunately a lot of guys at the bottom of the league don't make those types of trades, which is why they are at the bottom of the league.

If someone picking top 10 a few years in a row traded the pick for 3 good players, the quality of those players could probably outvalue the 3 drafted guys, given they probably miss on at least 1 of those picks.
Last edited by 1 on Matthew, edited 0 times in total.
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
KapG
PostsCOLON 11908

Post by KapG »

Shoalzie wroteCOLON
KapG wroteCOLONToo hard to recoup assets with old players which is why people stay away from them especially when GMs aren’t asset rich

This trade makes no sense to me from Ottawa perspective but what do I know lol

Well, that's assuming a player taken with either pick that he traded is going to better than Taylor Hall at any point of his career...let alone now. The picks are a wild card in this trade.

If you're trying to compete, it's almost a given that you're going to acquire players that won't have good "resale value". Buying veteran players via trade is a lot like the UFA market in the NHL...you're probably overpaying for past performance but you're still hoping to get good productivity but the player is likely past their prime years.
Tough to compete with powerhouse teams unless you are going to go the Tony route and build a pure periph team. The GMs imo who can and should buy those older players are the buffalos, Nashville’s and LAs of our league. Tough to get out of the basement when you keep trading premium picks for guys at or closing in on 30. I know because I’ve done that before. Doesn’t work. t’s also not sustainable since those older players will need to be replaced sooner rather than later. What are you going to replace them with if you don’t have prospect pool or good picks?

No way Matt makes this trade if he doesn’t expect it to be in the lottery afaic
KapG
PostsCOLON 11908

Post by KapG »

Matthew wroteCOLONI don't think it's impossible. I think you just need to make solid value trades while doing it...unfortunately a lot of guys at the bottom of the league don't make those types of trades, which is why they are at the bottom of the league.
Show me someone who has successfully done it. You don’t climb out of the basement trading top picks unless you hit homer in trades with them. Kind of like St. Louis did with the first overall
KapG
PostsCOLON 11908

Post by KapG »

I know you deleted your post Matthew buuuuut....those picks you traded, you were trading them for 28-30 year old players? No is the answer lol.
KapG
PostsCOLON 11908

Post by KapG »

Anyways, seen way worse trades. I hope this works out in Billy’s favour when it’s all said and done
bills09
PostsCOLON 9280
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:10 pm
LocationCOLON Pickering, Ontario

Post by bills09 »

KapG wroteCOLONAnyways, seen way worse trades. I hope this works out in Billy’s favour when it’s all said and done

BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to