Toronto Maple Leafs Off-Season - Who Will We Target?

All talk regarding sports at any level!
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 4:22 pm
LocationCOLON Mississauga, Ontario
CONTACTCOLON

Toronto Maple Leafs Off-Season - Who Will We Target?

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Burke recently went on air and proclaimed the organizations biggest need was a big winger who can bury goals. The Leafs plan to acquire this player via UFA, or trade if neccasarry. My guess is that Burke takes hard run at Patrick Marleau in the offseason, and if that fails he looks at a Nathan Horton, or David Backes type via trade.

As for the bottom six, we need a few guys who can kill penalties, skate, and add a gritty dimension to our team. The following players interest me for different reasons.

Matt Cooke - Consistent 30 point player, can kill penalties, fight, get under the skin of opponents and has underrated hands.
Manny Malholtra - Wins faceoffs, kills penalties, and can skate well, also not afraid to lay the body out.
Chris Higgins - Underrated scorer, who can hit and play defense, should come on the cheap given his last two seasons.
Ben Eager - Tremendous 4th liner checker who gets under the skin of his opponents, showing his worth in the playoffs.
Matthew Lombardi - Explosive skater, with good hands and a scoring touch, would make a perfect third line center who can fill in on the second line while the youth develops, or in case of injury.
Scottie Upshall - Great third liner, does it all, and not unlike Lombo can fill in on the top 6 if need be.
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044
JoinedCOLON Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 am

Re: Toronto Maple Leafs Off-Season - Who Will We Target?

Post by Nick »

there are going to be a few RFA who do not get qualifying contracts.... Edmonton has a TON of guys.... i'd enjoy snagging either cogliano or ryan jones off of them.... david jones in COL :).... doubt they let him go... but my god they have lots of RFA as well....

i really don't think a veteran grinder is the right direction.... adding the next generation of grinders is the path I would prefer.
bills09
PostsCOLON 9280
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:10 pm
LocationCOLON Pickering, Ontario

Post by bills09 »

somehow i bet you leafs sign Todd Bertuzzi
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 2:04 pm

Post by Shep »

bills09 wroteCOLONsomehow i bet you leafs sign Todd Bertuzzi
Yay
Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Like I mentioned above, I think we are going to take a serious run at Marleau, but even with him in the lineup I feel we have alot of question marks, primarily youngsters, such as: Bozak, Kadri, and Stalberg. Each player possesses a unique skill set, and have interesting potential going forward, but I can't shake the thought that perhaps it is too premature to be utilizing these players as kep components on the top 6 this season. For that reason I would target Paul Kariya and Matthew Lombardi, in addition to Marleau (cap hit permitting) in order to give our youth some veteran leadership, and allow them to start on the third line and adjust to their roles, or start in the AHL if need be. The following line combinations is what I would strive to achieve this offseason, if I were Burke.

Patrick Marleau - Matthew Lombardi - Phil Kessel
Nikolai Kulemin - Tyler Bozak - Paul Kariya
Christian Hanson - Nazem Kadri - Viktor Stalberg
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX - Wayne Primeau - Colton Orr
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

facey wroteCOLONthere are going to be a few RFA who do not get qualifying contracts.... Edmonton has a TON of guys.... i'd enjoy snagging either cogliano or ryan jones off of them.... david jones in COL :).... doubt they let him go... but my god they have lots of RFA as well....

i really don't think a veteran grinder is the right direction.... adding the next generation of grinders is the path I would prefer.
That's definately the progressive approach to take, and ultimately what the top teams do, but it is also very important to add proven playoff warriors, guys that you know will show up and battle when all the chips are layed out. The next generation should come from within, I think we have some very good options already: Nikolai Kulemin, Christian Hanson, Jerry Damigo, Dale Mitchell, and Kenny Ryan.
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

bills09 wroteCOLONsomehow i bet you leafs sign Todd Bertuzzi
I wouldn't be opposed to that at all, provided the cap hit and term make sense, and we bring in a legitimate top 6 winger in addition to him, ala Patrick Marleau. I would be disapointed if out big offseason acquisistion is Todd Bertuzzi.
inferno31
PostsCOLON 1805
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:15 pm
LocationCOLON NYC

Post by inferno31 »

Bertuzzi won't handle the pressure in Toronto. Marleau is going to be locked up in San Jose after those playoffs too.

Malhotra is a strong possibility, hometown boy. Lombardi or Torres too as well, but I think Burke will do the most through the trade market, not via free agency.
Roster
tyler
PostsCOLON 1458
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 8:00 pm
LocationCOLON Vancouver, BC.

Re: Toronto Maple Queefs Off-Season - Who Will We Target?

Post by tyler »

Man you leaf fans dream... Kariya, msrleau and lombardi you thnk your gonna sign... rofl
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

inferno31 wroteCOLONBertuzzi won't handle the pressure in Toronto. Marleau is going to be locked up in San Jose after those playoffs too.

Malhotra is a strong possibility, hometown boy. Lombardi or Torres too as well, but I think Burke will do the most through the trade market, not via free agency.
SJS can't resign Marleau, they have to offer Pavelski and Seto raises, they have to sign Nabokov to a raise, as well as account for Coutures salary over a full season, and re-sign or replace Rob Blake. They just don't have the cap space, unless Marleau takes a significant home town discount.
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Toronto Maple Queefs Off-Season - Who Will We Target?

Post by MSP4LYFE »

bergey wroteCOLONMan you leaf fans dream... Kariya, msrleau and lombardi you thnk your gonna sign... rofl
Only an idiot would think Lombardi and Kariya are unattainable on the open market.
Chuck Norris
PostsCOLON 4954
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:17 pm

Post by Chuck Norris »

I have no doubt in my mind that Phoenix will resign Lombardi, he plays too many roles for his team for them to not sign him. As for Kariya; if the Lafs want another washed up hasbeen like they seem to acquire every year then I guess hes your man! LOL
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044

Post by Nick »

Habber wroteCOLONI have no doubt in my mind that Phoenix will resign Lombardi, he plays too many roles for his team for them to not sign him. As for Kariya; if the Lafs want another washed up hasbeen like they seem to acquire every year then I guess hes your man! LOL

easy there habs fan. one run with a hot goalie and you think your team is good?

hamarlik?
gill?
gomez?
the moody sisters....

what hasbeen did we get last year? beau wasn't good for us, but he's better then what he brought to us as well?

giggy is clearly not washed up?

but lets be honest... things are looking notably better for us then for you... and its the first time in a while that can be said ;)
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901

Post by Shep »

Gill has been solid everywhere but in Toronto.
Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Snipeshow wroteCOLONGill has been solid everywhere but in Toronto.
He was very medicore in his last season with Boston.
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044

Post by Nick »

MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON

and a regular season plug for the penguins... but the big man has learned to step up during the playoffs... and has seriously simplified his game... still not a player i'd brag about having...
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901

Post by Shep »

facey wroteCOLON
MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON

and a regular season plug for the penguins... but the big man has learned to step up during the playoffs... and has seriously simplified his game... still not a player i'd brag about having...
He was important on that cup winning team and he was important in these playings for the Habs little run.

He's definitely a solid playoff performer. And you can never have enough of those.
Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044

Post by Nick »

gotta make the playoffs for that to matter...

first things first my keen little friend :)
bills09
PostsCOLON 9280
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:10 pm
LocationCOLON Pickering, Ontario

Post by bills09 »

Trade for Andrew Ladd Burkey this kid is 24 and will have his 2nd cup ring in about a week or so ;)
inferno31
PostsCOLON 1805
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:15 pm
LocationCOLON NYC

Post by inferno31 »

bills09 wroteCOLONTrade for Andrew Ladd Burkey this kid is 24 and will have his 2nd cup ring in about a week or so ;)
I'm a huge fan, and people need to realize Marleau is very unlikely to come to Toronto or even leave San Jose for that matter.
I'd love to see Ladd though.
I'd love to see Malhotra and Torres round out the bottom 6, with Kaberle traded to secure a top 6 winger as well.
Roster
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to