PostsCOLON 11503
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 4:22 pm
LocationCOLON Mississauga, Ontario
CONTACTCOLON

Re: 2010 World Cup South Africa

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Shoalzie wroteCOLON
MSP4LYFE wroteCOLONyou don't know much about soccer if you debate that

I was more or less shooting down how comparing a win over one northern African side would mean a sure win over another. Yeah, England has underachieved but the Algerians played a solid game against them in that previous game. The point that was hammered on a lot today was their lack of discipline and that painfully obvious...a lot of silly fouls. Their captain should've been tossed from the game earlier with that fist to Dempsey's face. He eventually went off with that second yellow late in the match when it was a formality at that point.

USA vs. Ghana on Saturday...winner takes on the winner of South Korea-Uruguay. That other ABCD bracket is much gnarlier with Argentina-Mexico and England-Germany. It's a decent road for the Americans to make it to the semifinals before having to face a major world power like Brazil, Spain, Italy or the Dutch.
Fair

With regards to the US it is definately a nice road to the semi's, but I just don't see them beating the Ghanians, especially if Essien is back by then, and I certainly don't see them defeating Uruguay, Forlan and Co.trounced group A which included two powerhouse nations (Mexico and France), as well as the host nation (South Africa), which is not an easy task. They could be the darkhorses in this World Cup Tournament.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

Group F has been decided and the defending champs are going home...Paraguay and Slovakia move on. South America is going to be all over the knockout round...potentially all 5 will move on.
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
Chuck Norris
PostsCOLON 4954
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:17 pm

Post by Chuck Norris »

Italy not making the knockout stage is the best thing thats ever happened to the game... :D
bma
PostsCOLON 2282
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:44 pm

Post by bma »

Make your predictions:

Germany-England

Argentina-Mexico
Click banner for full assets/roster
GM Achievements:
2013/14 - WC Quarterfinalist (Colorado Avalanche)
2012/13 - BBKL Finalist and WC Champion (Columbus Blue Jackets)
2011/12 - WC Semi-Finalist (Columbus Blue Jackets)
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

bcool wroteCOLONMake your predictions:

Germany-England

Argentina-Mexico
FTR I called Urugauy and Ghana above...

For tommorow I predict Argentina and Germany.
inferno31
PostsCOLON 1805
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:15 pm
LocationCOLON NYC

Post by inferno31 »

England and Mexico.
I'm adventurous what can I say.
Roster
hong57
PostsCOLON 7106
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:38 pm

Post by hong57 »

german huge win...
i wonder what the game will go if it was ruled 2-2
#91 - John Tavares
inferno31
PostsCOLON 1805
LocationCOLON NYC

Post by inferno31 »

Fucking ridiculous, need more evidence of goal line review FIFA!?

England played like shit, Terry and Upson especially. Lampard wasn't actually horrible this game, James was fantastic.
I wish Rio was playing though, Terry and Upson got exposed like $1 strippers out there, every pass cut through their defense.

But fuck that linesman and ref, horrible horrible decision.
Roster
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

inferno31 wroteCOLONFucking ridiculous, need more evidence of goal line review FIFA!?

England played like shit, Terry and Upson especially. Lampard wasn't actually horrible this game, James was fantastic.
I wish Rio was playing though, Terry and Upson got exposed like $1 strippers out there, every pass cut through their defense.

Yep...Mueller, Oezil, Lahme and Podolski exposed the middle of the English defence for what it was, a slow and unathletic back line. Can't count how many one touch passes, and through balls were made through that middle line, or even a simple kick and run past the wing, Ashley Cole was the only English defenceman I was impressed with today.

On a side note, Tomas Mueller is going to be a fucking star, 20 years old and he is already the mastermind behind the dangerous German attack.
Radiohead

Post by Radiohead »

Argentina vs. Germany.

Match of the tournament next week.
inferno31
PostsCOLON 1805
LocationCOLON NYC

Post by inferno31 »

Roster
inferno31
PostsCOLON 1805
LocationCOLON NYC

Post by inferno31 »

MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON
inferno31 wroteCOLONFucking ridiculous, need more evidence of goal line review FIFA!?

Yep...Mueller, Oezil, Lahme and Podolski exposed the middle of the English defence for what it was, a slow and unathletic back line. Can't count how many one touch passes, and through balls were made through that middle line, or even a simple kick and run past the wing, Ashley Cole was the only English defenceman I was impressed with today.

On a side note, Tomas Mueller is going to be a fucking star, 20 years old and he is already the mastermind behind the dangerous German attack.
Oezil was great, and Cole I agree was fantastic. Rio IMO deals with these situations far better than Terry, and Upson was only in because of the previous win. My blame is mostly on Terry, he was god awful, every single play he played wrong it seemed. He singe handley got picked apart by the speed and pace of the Germans. Be a brand new team in 4 years, we'll see what happens. England is far too static with their Center backs, none of the successful teams play that style anymore, but today was pretty pathetic. Mueller and Oezil were fantastic though, both look like they'll be stars. How about Hernandez for Mexico, I'm excited.
Roster
inferno31
PostsCOLON 1805
LocationCOLON NYC

Post by inferno31 »

Also tragic the headlines people are starting to take away from this world cup are about vuvuzelas and fucking horrid officiating.
Not the way the world should witness the "beautiful game".
South Africa's done a better job than most expected as hosts, unfortunate that FIFA is useless.
Roster
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

inferno31 wroteCOLON
MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON

Oezil was great, and Cole I agree was fantastic. Rio IMO deals with these situations far better than Terry, and Upson was only in because of the previous win. My blame is mostly on Terry, he was god awful, every single play he played wrong it seemed. He singe handley got picked apart by the speed and pace of the Germans. Be a brand new team in 4 years, we'll see what happens. England is far too static with their Center backs, none of the successful teams play that style anymore, but today was pretty pathetic. Mueller and Oezil were fantastic though, both look like they'll be stars. How about Hernandez for Mexico, I'm excited.
I agree completely, I think Terry's problem is that he isn't as agile or strong on the ball as he was say 2 or 3 years ago, and it showed on countless ocassions in this tournament, as you alluded to. He looked confused on the one touch passes by the German midfield, and was (IMO) pathetic in the air, something Rio excels at.

Ideally they will come back with a younger team in 4 years, focus more on ball movement, and actually bring some forwards...Rooney can't do it alone. Hopefully they get some help on the wings too, because I felt that was the greatest disparity in talent tonight, Germany's wing talent was superior frankly...

And ye dude I'm so stoked about Do Santos and Hernandez, they are disgusting talents...
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

inferno31 wroteCOLONAlso tragic the headlines people are starting to take away from this world cup are about vuvuzelas and fucking horrid officiating.
Not the way the world should witness the "beautiful game".
South Africa's done a better job than most expected as hosts, unfortunate that FIFA is useless.
Agreed...FIFA is fucking archaic with it's rules, why instant replay is not in the sport today is beyond me, it really is....
bma
PostsCOLON 2282

Post by bma »

inferno31 wroteCOLONEngland and Mexico.
adventurous and wrong!
GM Achievements:
bma
PostsCOLON 2282

Post by bma »

These ones should be easy..

Brazil
vs. Chile

Netherlands
vs. Slovakia
GM Achievements:
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044
JoinedCOLON Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 am

Post by Nick »

Just for matt, I'm supporting Slovakia.

FOR THE WIN, my share is 1/100th :o
inferno31
PostsCOLON 1805
LocationCOLON NYC

Post by inferno31 »

bcool wroteCOLON
inferno31 wroteCOLONEngland and Mexico.
adventurous and wrong!
Hahahaha
Chile is a threat but with so many suspensions I'm going Brazil and Netherlands in this.
Roster
inferno31
PostsCOLON 1805
LocationCOLON NYC

Post by inferno31 »

MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON
I agree completely, I think Terry's problem is that he isn't as agile or strong on the ball as he was say 2 or 3 years ago, and it showed on countless ocassions in this tournament, as you alluded to. He looked confused on the one touch passes by the German midfield, and was (IMO) pathetic in the air, something Rio excels at.

Ideally they will come back with a younger team in 4 years, focus more on ball movement, and actually bring some forwards...Rooney can't do it alone. Hopefully they get some help on the wings too, because I felt that was the greatest disparity in talent tonight, Germany's wing talent was superior frankly...

And ye dude I'm so stoked about Do Santos and Hernandez, they are disgusting talents...
Terry has been like this all year, its mental mistakes he never used to make. To be honest his instincts were some of the best in the past, but all his off field issues this year have had great influences on his play. Hes been horrible for Chelsea this season he mistimed easy clearing headers almost every game this year, his timing and just ability to read the game are off. Either hes hit a major decline or the off field issues are impacting him a lot more than we'd think.

England have to be younger and faster, the style they play isn't suitable anymore. Rooney I still concede was slightly hurt the way he played all season compared to this tournament. England on the wings used to be a strength, but in 4 years all the veterans will be gone. They need some speed, some creativity and some of that passion the English used to be known for.
At the very least the world cup has opened my eyes to a lot of talents I wouldn't have otherwise seen.
I'm afraid the slow German centerbacks will get ripped apart by that Argentina attack, if England can run at you, Argentina will fuck your shit up.
Roster
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to