Rooney's goal against City was nicer ;)
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 4:22 pm
LocationCOLON Mississauga, Ontario
CONTACTCOLON

Re: SNIPE

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Habber wroteCOLONRooney's goal against City was nicer ;)
The bicycle kick looks sexier, but I can tell you from experience that half volleying a ball on a short bounce (not to mention that he did while running forward and off balance) is far more difficult, and Wesley did it bar down from outside the 18 yard box...Just dirty.
inferno31
PostsCOLON 1805
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:15 pm
LocationCOLON NYC

Post by inferno31 »

Sneidjer and Robben are fucking sick. The move that shocked me the most was liverpool letting Babel go, hes shown glimpses but think with more time he'll strut his stuff.
Roster
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

inferno31 wroteCOLONSneidjer and Robben are fucking sick. The move that shocked me the most was liverpool letting Babel go, hes shown glimpses but think with more time he'll strut his stuff.
I agree 100% Neel, I was actually talking about this with a friend earlier, I don't see the logic in it...
Chuck Norris
PostsCOLON 4954
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:17 pm

Post by Chuck Norris »

MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON
The bicycle kick looks sexier, but I can tell you from experience that half volleying a ball on a short bounce (not to mention that he did while running forward and off balance) is far more difficult, and Wesley did it bar down from outside the 18 yard box...Just dirty.
See from my personal experience I have no problems volleying under any circumstances, but then again I volley on a per game basis. I can count on one hand the number of bicycle kicks Ive attempted/completed myself lol. That being said just thinking of how youd approach either strike, the volley at least youre facing your target and can properly judge your strike. Rooneys volley is a completely blind strike, not to mention the cross was coming in alot faster than the set up Wesley got. And if you want to talk about off balance at least Wesley had a boot on the ground ;)

But again this is the opinion of a goalkeeper who has little experience with bicycle kicks vs volleys.
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

Habber wroteCOLON
MSP4LYFE wroteCOLON
See from my personal experience I have no problems volleying under any circumstances, but then again I volley on a per game basis. I can count on one hand the number of bicycle kicks Ive attempted/completed myself lol. That being said just thinking of how youd approach either strike, the volley at least youre facing your target and can properly judge your strike. Rooneys volley is a completely blind strike, not to mention the cross was coming in alot faster than the set up Wesley got. And if you want to talk about off balance at least Wesley had a boot on the ground ;)

But again this is the opinion of a goalkeeper who has little experience with bicycle kicks vs volleys.
To be fair, I've only ever attempted a full bicycle kick twice, I stopped at two because it really, really hurt, that said I have done a scissor kick on many occasions, and even scored twice with it indoor, for those who don't know it's a sidewards bicycle kick, you land on your stomach, but have more control of your body so it typically doesn't hurt if the form is right, and also a TON of volleys, so I think I have a pretty good handle on the two.

Typically, you are right, a bicycle kick is much harder, not facing the ball, going in blind, have to time perfectly (IMO the hardest part) and then get good contact on a ball as you are falling, all very difficult things to do, nevermind in synchronicity. That said, anyone who has done half volleys consistently (like you have Chuck) knows just how difficult it is to get it bar down when you are stationary, add in the running component, and being off balance, and I honestly can't think of a more difficult shot to execute. You try that 10 times, you may not get it once, if you are a strong bicycle kicker, you will get the Rooney shot off at least 50% of the time (in practice -- in a game both are stupid hard).
inferno31
PostsCOLON 1805
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:15 pm
LocationCOLON NYC

Post by inferno31 »

Anyone catch the Arsenal Barca game? Great game, really wanted the Gunners to pull it off.
Roster
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 2:04 pm

Post by Shep »

Sup?
Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to