NHL Transactions, Injuries & Rumours

Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!

Re: Halak Traded to Blues.

Postby Nick » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:25 pm

SuperMario wrote:p.s. this means backes keeps his faceoffs from the wing ;). lol its all on price now.


it might also mean he's a full time C.
User avatar
Nick
 
Posts: 16044
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 am

Re: Halak Traded to Blues.

Postby cliff11 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:04 pm

i think mtl should have keep halak and traded price.... but this being said i understand why they traded halak..... with price there is so much potenital and hes really young... it usaully takes goalies a little more time to develop into a number one...just look at ryan millar
User avatar
cliff11
 
Posts: 2510
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 12:39 pm

Re: Halak Traded to Blues.

Postby Nick » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:14 pm

cliff11 wrote:i think mtl should have keep halak and traded price.... but this being said i understand why they traded halak..... with price there is so much potenital and hes really young... it usaully takes goalies a little more time to develop into a number one...just look at ryan millar



millar eh? no clue who that is... Ryan Miller on the other-hand is a stud.


IMO they traded Halak because he was worth more, and they were basically split on which goalie was their 'guy'.
User avatar
Nick
 
Posts: 16044
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 am

Re: Halak Traded to Blues.

Postby Tony » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:26 pm

Doug Wilson sucks - another year of underachieving in San Jose again.
Image
Click banner to view current roster and picks
User avatar
Tony
 
Posts: 10662
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:29 pm
Location: Nevada

Re: Halak Traded to Blues.

Postby Nick » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:29 pm

Nighthock wrote:Doug Wilson sucks - another year of underachieving in San Jose again.


how can you say this? multiple 100pt seasons, always IN the playoffs.. 3rd round, 3x 2nd round & 2x 1st round... thats nothing to shake a stick at... its missing a cup.... Halak is not the only goalie on the market, and Nabakov was not the only reason SJS lost this year.... That doesn't sound like 'sucking' to me.


but I guess you never really know what sucking is like until you truly suck -> try being a Leafs fan, or a Canuck fan ;)
User avatar
Nick
 
Posts: 16044
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 am

Re: Halak Traded to Blues.

Postby shooker » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:51 pm

Habber I am impressed with your optimism! For you sake and the sake of the rest of my family (all habs fans) I hope Price pans out. However I know if it was the nuck that made this trade..I'd be livid. Two prospects for arguably the top player in the playoffs....I get the reasoning behind selling him at a high but this is selling at a high for a bargain price. Time will tell tho..
Image
User avatar
shooker
 
Posts: 4382
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 11:05 am

Re: Halak Traded to Blues.

Postby Robin Hood » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:59 pm

i asked neel this earlier today: name a list of teams that need a goalie AND would pay up for halak without the assurance of signing him? this deal for montreal make more sense when you consider the lack of demand for goalies given the option of free agency and the potential for a huge amount of money tied up on the back end with two netminders. price will determine the value of this deal. im one of the few who thinks its pretty decent for montreal.
User avatar
Robin Hood
 
Posts: 13578
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 5:09 pm

Re: Halak Traded to Blues.

Postby Robin Hood » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:08 am

facey wrote:
SuperMario wrote:p.s. this means backes keeps his faceoffs from the wing ;). lol its all on price now.


it might also mean he's a full time C.


wait a second. its the off season now and everyone is making trades according to what their team is going to be. now if in september, suddenly a RW switches to a C we'll suddenly have to make a major adjustment? why not dual eligibility?
User avatar
Robin Hood
 
Posts: 13578
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 5:09 pm

Re: Halak Traded to Blues.

Postby Nick » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:12 am

it is dual eligibility for a reasonable period. 30 games in & he's played nothing but C.....i dunno....
User avatar
Nick
 
Posts: 16044
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 am

Re: Halak Traded to Blues.

Postby bills09 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:23 am

if the cbs update lists a player as a C that is what they will be unless significant proof otherwise
Image
bills09
 
Posts: 8772
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 5:10 pm
Location: Pickering, Ontario

Re: Halak Traded to Blues.

Postby Chuck Norris » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:09 am

SuperMario wrote:i like it for montreal. sell halak on a high when his free agent status is uncertain (salary hit etc). get two prospects and eller is going to fit in perfectly.

p.s. this means backes keeps his faceoffs from the wing ;). lol its all on price now.



Thats exactly it. They needed to sell Halak when his value was at its highest. I guarantee Montreal would not have gotten the same package if they tried to move Price....everyone would have wanted a discount on him. Price has the higher upside but obviously hasnt played as well as Halak. That being said it makes the most business sense as well. Both goalies needed to resign this year and Halak was obviously going to ask for a hefty raise. They can resign Price for about 2 million cheaper per year based on his performances, where as Halak is going to demand massive money from St Louis. They can then take that 2 million or however much they saved and put that towards upgrading elsewhere.

Like I said if Price turns it around Gauthier looks like a genius....if he doesnt then he looks like Mike Milbury a la moving Luongo for Dipietro.
User avatar
Chuck Norris
 
Posts: 4208
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: Halak Traded to Blues.

Postby MSP4LYFE » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:06 pm

SuperMario wrote:
facey wrote:
SuperMario wrote:p.s. this means backes keeps his faceoffs from the wing ;). lol its all on price now.


it might also mean he's a full time C.


wait a second. its the off season now and everyone is making trades according to what their team is going to be. now if in september, suddenly a RW switches to a C we'll suddenly have to make a major adjustment? why not dual eligibility?


Dual eligibility is determined during the season, not after. For example if Richard Park were listed as a C, he is a C until he plays enough game to justify dual eligibility.
Image
User avatar
MSP4LYFE
 
Posts: 11499
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 4:22 pm
Location: Mississauga, Ontario

Re: Halak Traded to Blues.

Postby Robin Hood » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:51 pm

MSP4LYFE wrote:
Dual eligibility is determined during the season, not after. For example if Richard Park were listed as a C, he is a C until he plays enough game to justify dual eligibility.


right so Backes is an RW until it is proven he is a C during the season.
User avatar
Robin Hood
 
Posts: 13578
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 5:09 pm

Re: Halak Traded to Blues.

Postby Shep » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:01 pm

SuperMario wrote:
MSP4LYFE wrote:
Dual eligibility is determined during the season, not after. For example if Richard Park were listed as a C, he is a C until he plays enough game to justify dual eligibility.


right so Backes is an RW until it is proven he is a C during the season.

Or if CBS starts him as a C...
Inaugural GM
2009-2016
User avatar
Shep
 
Posts: 13451
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Halak Traded to Blues.

Postby Robin Hood » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:21 pm

this doesnt make sense. the off season is the time to make changes. but suddenly october rolls around and our planning can be useless because cbs lists a player differently. we're supposed to plan our positions after the season starts then? isnt the off season the time to make the adjustment? cbs changing positions should not affect keeper leagues. it should be more for one year leagues. otherwise every october we will be at the mercy of cbs to adjust roster spots - that is, trades made simply to satisfy positional requirements, not strategic fantasy hockey decisions. it doesnt make sense.
User avatar
Robin Hood
 
Posts: 13578
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 5:09 pm

Re: Halak Traded to Blues.

Postby Mike » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:26 pm

SuperMario wrote:this doesnt make sense. the off season is the time to make changes. but suddenly october rolls around and our planning can be useless because cbs lists a player differently. we're supposed to plan our positions after the season starts then? isnt the off season the time to make the adjustment? cbs changing positions should not affect keeper leagues. it should be more for one year leagues. otherwise every october we will be at the mercy of cbs to adjust roster spots - that is, trades made simply to satisfy positional requirements, not strategic fantasy hockey decisions. it doesnt make sense.


At the mercy of CBS? They aren't conspiring against their customers and will certainly be trying to provide the best possible positional eligibility.

Everyone is in the same boat as you are. Let's see what CBS does with listing players. At this point you need to use your better judgment (depth charts, historical position) to make assumptions. A good GM will leave himself some positional flexibility.
User avatar
Mike
Test 2
 
Posts: 11360
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Halak Traded to Blues.

Postby Nick » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:37 pm

the list of players who people need to worry about are small (aside form C becoming Wingers, which is typically regarded as a good thing)

-> grioux, backes, park, marleau & zetty... ??? we are all.. playing under the same rules shiv. IMO it would be really cool if we could make JUST 4 players count towards FOW.
User avatar
Nick
 
Posts: 16044
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 am

Re: Halak Traded to Blues.

Postby MSP4LYFE » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:22 pm

facey wrote:the list of players who people need to worry about are small (aside form C becoming Wingers, which is typically regarded as a good thing)

-> grioux, backes, park, marleau & zetty... ??? we are all.. playing under the same rules shiv. IMO it would be really cool if we could make JUST 4 players count towards FOW.


WE don't have to do anything...Whatever CBS posts is what we will use...Don't call out Shiv for trying to play under different rules, and then make a claim about certain players "we" (I use this term loosely) need to worry about...
Image
User avatar
MSP4LYFE
 
Posts: 11499
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 4:22 pm
Location: Mississauga, Ontario

Re: Halak Traded to Blues.

Postby Nick » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:34 pm

did I say that we had to do something? i think thats exactly what I said kareem, aside from mentioning that making it a 4 person stat, but thats nothing more then an idea, one i don't even like... IMO having a winger win 1 or 2 draws in a game is really cool. Tight FO games actually involve the wingers, LOTS.


Does not mean that I like the idea of having wingers who take 20 draws a game, just another loophole we're not closing because of which GM's (who) are taking advantage of it. On each ling there is 1 guy taking the draws... weird that we're allowed to have 2 guys.
User avatar
Nick
 
Posts: 16044
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 am

Re: Halak Traded to Blues.

Postby MSP4LYFE » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:54 pm

facey wrote:did I say that we had to do something? i think thats exactly what I said kareem, aside from mentioning that making it a 4 person stat, but thats nothing more then an idea, one i don't even like... IMO having a winger win 1 or 2 draws in a game is really cool. Tight FO games actually involve the wingers, LOTS.


Does not mean that I like the idea of having wingers who take 20 draws a game, just another loophole we're not closing because of which GM's (who) are taking advantage of it. On each ling there is 1 guy taking the draws... weird that we're allowed to have 2 guys.


You're the only one against it, and you have been for some time; so you're argument about "who" is against it is rather moot. If anything I would argue that you are making this an issue out of your own self interests, and the fact that you don't have such speciality players, because the arguments in favour of keeping the status quo are plentiful, as is the support for it...

1. FOW by a winger changes year to year

2. We already have an established value system for such players and to change it now is a slap in the face to those of us who specifically targeted wingers and centerman with high FOW totals.

3. If you open the door to posisition changes for wingers based on FOW you are setting a precedent for several other posisition changes, such as Stamkos to the wing because he doesn't take many draws etc.

4. It is not at all uncommon for a winger to take a draw and then move back to the wing.
Image
User avatar
MSP4LYFE
 
Posts: 11499
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 4:22 pm
Location: Mississauga, Ontario

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests