Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
BUTTON_POST_REPLY
Jordan (VGK)
PostsCOLON 1062
JoinedCOLON Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:29 pm
LocationCOLON Ottawa, ON

Re: NHL Transactions, Injuries & Rumours

Post by Jordan (VGK) »

To be fair I don't think this deal signifies their future plans. If Rinne keeps it up it's a cheap enough deal they can resign and have an affordable goalie combo. The term tells us they want Saros secured for the immediate future and hope he outperforms his contract at the tail end of it. It would be idiotic to give him big term and big money after 2 years of being a back up behind a 60 game starter, regardless of how they feel about him. Pekka is a hero in Nashville so I believe if he still has a heartbeat they will want to resign him.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

The sample size isn't huge yet. He's only played 50 games. I believe darling and Talbot had better stats thru their first 50 games than saros does. Eddie lacks were only a bit less (921 sv percentage in his second NHL season). People talking like he is gonna be an elite goalie all ready. Let him get a bigger sample size, as these young guys often can't make the backup to starter transition. Good luck to him and he very well could become a solid starter or even better but nothing is set in stone as far as his future goes.
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
lightupdadarkness
PostsCOLON 4881
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:37 pm

Post by lightupdadarkness »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
lightupdadarkness wroteCOLONGotta love when the trolls come out
So if Rinne does get extended, does that make you the troll?
Nope bc regardless if Pekka retires this summer, plays or gets extended saros is there. Cap hits may give you a longer leash such as darling or Allen but cheaper goalies took the bulk of the starts last year from them so your theory that bc he signed for cheap doesn’t float. I know you love saros anyways so I know your just trolling like Steve was trolling. Coach’s on championship contending teams will play whoever to win. Ex. Holtby coming back and Pekka getting pulled in games against Peg. Polie has a history of locking up young players for cheap so kudos to him
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

lightupdadarkness wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Nope bc regardless if Pekka retires this summer, plays or gets extended saros is there. Cap hits may give you a longer leash such as Darling or Allen but cheaper goalies took the bulk of the starts last year from them so your theory that bc he signed for cheap doesn’t float. I know you love saros anyways so I know your just trolling like Steve was trolling. Coach’s on championship contending teams will play whoever to win. Ex. Holtby coming back and Pekka getting pulled in games against Peg. Polie has a history of locking up young players for cheap so kudos to him
Difference being Darling and Allen suck.... Rinne just won the Vezina. Very different stories. I'm not saying Saros won't play because he isn't good. I'm saying Rinne will play more because he's better. And yes, I like Saros - but let's not pretend he's better then Rinne now or even next year. But hey - time will tell if you turning down a top 10 pick for an unproven back-up goalie was a good idea. A very interesting gamble.
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:29 pm

Post by Lee »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Nope bc regardless if Pekka retires this summer, plays or gets extended saros is there. Cap hits may give you a longer leash such as Darling or Allen but cheaper goalies took the bulk of the starts last year from them so your theory that bc he signed for cheap doesn’t float. I know you love saros anyways so I know your just trolling like Steve was trolling. Coach’s on championship contending teams will play whoever to win. Ex. Holtby coming back and Pekka getting pulled in games against Peg. Polie has a history of locking up young players for cheap so kudos to him
Difference being Darling and Allen suck.... Rinne just won the Vezina. Very different stories. I'm not saying Saros won't play because he isn't good. I'm saying Rinne will play more because he's better. And yes, I like Saros - but let's not pretend he's better then Rinne now or even next year. But hey - time will tell if you turning down a top 10 pick for an unproven back-up goalie was a good idea. A very interesting gamble.

Top 3.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Lee wroteCOLON Top 3.
I thought it was for the 7th overall ish.
Bruyns
PostsCOLON 7177
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 am

Post by Bruyns »

He means the player was taken 3rd OA in the NHL.
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828

Post by Lee »

I offered him Kot after the fact as well.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Lee wroteCOLONI offered him Kot after the fact as well.
That is a hell of an offer for a back-up goalie.
Jordan (VGK)
PostsCOLON 1062
LocationCOLON Ottawa, ON

Post by Jordan (VGK) »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Vasilevsky was Bishops back up at one point, and if you got him for a top end prospect then it would be a steal now. Saros is currently a back up goalie but that doesn't mean he has the skills or value of the average backup.
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828

Post by Lee »

you think the most current 3rd overall pick is the current value of the average back up goaltender?
lightupdadarkness
PostsCOLON 4881

Lee wroteCOLONyou think the most current 3rd overall pick is the current value of the average back up goaltender?
If you believe he was truly a backup you wouldn’t even offer that let’s be real. Also I
Only recall you offering me the pick OTC nothing afterwards
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Malette18 wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Vasilevsky was Bishops back up at one point, and if you got him for a top end prospect then it would be a steal now. Saros is currently a back up goalie but that doesn't mean he has the skills or value of the average backup.
Lindback was Rinne's backup and Tbay paid a pretty penny for him - look how that turned out, or Darling... or many other back-ups that have failed. It's a bold offer that in most cases would be very risky.
Jordan (VGK)
PostsCOLON 1062
LocationCOLON Ottawa, ON

Post by Jordan (VGK) »

Lee wroteCOLONyou think the most current 3rd overall pick is the current value of the average back up goaltender?
I was trying to convey that simply because Saros is in a backup role does not mean he is equal value to a backup goaltender. Hammond, for example, does not equal Saros simply because they are both backups.
lightupdadarkness
PostsCOLON 4881

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
I make lots of gambles it’s how built this team up. And so saros is an unproven backup but a top 10 pick is proven is what ur implying by that statement haha let’s just move on at this point
Jordan (VGK)
PostsCOLON 1062
LocationCOLON Ottawa, ON

Post by Jordan (VGK) »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Malette18 wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Lindback was Rinne's backup and Tbay paid a pretty penny for him - look how that turned out, or Darling... or many other back-ups that have failed. It's a bold offer that in most cases would be very risky.
We can go back and forth knitpicking situations where goalies worked out and didn't work out. I was just stating that at one point the majority of goalies are backups. Painting them with the backup brush is misconstrued early in their careers.
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828

Post by Lee »

I said "The offer is still open" on multiple occasions.

I never said that I view him as a back up. I've said that he is currently is a back up and will remain as such for the foreseeable future. Pekka has gas in the tank and teams often bring in veterans to shield unproven goaltenders, which Saros is.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Malette18 wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Malette18 wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
We can go back and forth knitpicking situations where goalies worked out and didn't work out. I was just stating that at one point the majority of goalies are backups. Painting them with the backup brush is misconstrued early in their careers.
I'll agree with you on most of that - if you agree that it's still a ballsy move moving a top 10 pick for talented, albeit unproven back-up goalie.
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828

Post by Lee »

My balls just be swanging back and forth. Never been one to shy away from the big offer on a player I like.
lightupdadarkness
PostsCOLON 4881

Lee wroteCOLONMy balls just be swanging back and forth. Never been one to shy away from the big offer on a player I like.
Yeah that you do
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to