NHL Transactions, Injuries & Rumours

Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
BUTTON_POST_REPLY
Sensfanjosh
PostsCOLON 4043
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: NHL Transactions, Injuries & Rumours

Post by Sensfanjosh »

KapG wroteCOLONNo birthday post for me. Y’all let me down. At least Steve was nice enough to send me a message on Facebook. Thanks Steve :)
Happy belated man, hope it was a good one!
Arian The Insider
PostsCOLON 7304
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:05 pm

Post by Arian The Insider »

KapG wroteCOLONNo birthday post for me. Y’all let me down. At least Steve was nice enough to send me a message on Facebook. Thanks Steve :)
Happy belated man! Hope it was a good one
Click Oilers image below for full team roster
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

I'm a bit foggy on matching an offer sheet...how long do the Canadiens have to decide on Kotkaniemi?

Again, I fully appreciate the Hurricanes doing this but in reality, do you really want that guy at $6 million right now? The thing with the Aho offer sheet...that guy was a blossoming superstar when he signed that deal with the Canadiens and he was pretty much at a bona-fide 1st line value. I guess the bright side to the Kotkaniemi deal is it's only for one season but are you paying him that bread to play behind Aho and Staal?
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
DApolloS
PostsCOLON 638
JoinedCOLON Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:24 am

Post by DApolloS »

Shoalzie wroteCOLONI'm a bit foggy on matching an offer sheet...how long do the Canadiens have to decide on Kotkaniemi?

Again, I fully appreciate the Hurricanes doing this but in reality, do you really want that guy at $6 million right now? The thing with the Aho offer sheet...that guy was a blossoming superstar when he signed that deal with the Canadiens and he was pretty much at a bona-fide 1st line value. I guess the bright side to the Kotkaniemi deal is it's only for one season but are you paying him that bread to play behind Aho and Staal?
They have 7 days to match, otherwise they get the compensation. There was a rumor flying around that if CAR successfully sign him, they have an extension in place for him to sign at a lower AAV. Not sure what his desire his to stay in Montreal, but if he doesn't want to be there, this is a great way of forcing his way out.

Also, If MTL matches, they also can not trade him for one year following the offer sheet which means they then need to give him a $6.1 million QO or lose him altogether next summer
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

I seemed to think it was a full week but I couldn't remember.

I heard Friedman's mini-podcast this morning about the situation.

The idea of signing him to this inflated contract for a year to essentially steal his rights and then sign him to an extension with a lower AAV is interesting. The Canadiens can turn around and use the compensation and shop for a replacement...he threw out the oft-rumored name of Christian Dvorak.

If I'm a betting man, I have to believe it's a better than 50/50 the Canadiens let him walk. I wonder if Bergevin has tried to shop him before so I don't know if 1st + 3rd is an acceptable return...but at this rate, it's going to have to be. From a Canadiens perspective, they're a year away from having to pay Suzuki and he's clearly their best center. Kotkaniemi in Montreal just hasn't worked out so far.

You get past the Hurricanes' showmanship, this move might end up making more sense for the Canadiens...especially if they can find a replacement who is an actual upgrade and the position. Kotkaniemi as basically a non-factor later in the playoffs. It's best that they just part ways but it's another failed young player in Montreal.
DApolloS
PostsCOLON 638

Post by DApolloS »

Laraque just put out that the extension could be 4mil AAV on a medium term contract.
Handsome&FairMike
PostsCOLON 4810
JoinedCOLON Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Wolfville, NS

Post by Handsome&FairMike »

Gotta think the league isn’t gonna be a fan of this move. Wonder if there will be something in next CBA to prevent it… though I do like it. Makes things more intriguing.
DApolloS
PostsCOLON 638

Post by DApolloS »

Handsome&FairMike wroteCOLONGotta think the league isn’t gonna be a fan of this move. Wonder if there will be something in next CBA to prevent it… though I do like it. Makes things more intriguing.
The League won't care about it. If it was a Canadian team doing this to one of the darling amaerican teams, maybe. But ya, if there isn't any paperwork printed out, it's a simple "He said, she said" situation and would be hard to prove. Honestly, u think this is exciting. Someone finally using the OS system to try and actually poach a player. The long term approach (Shea Weber) didn't work, maybe the short term overpayment will work.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Post by kyuss »

That new 3-year deal for Tolvanen feels good

#BBKLpreds
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Always liked the offer sheet system. With players going the UFA route quicker now it seems, teams may have to get creative with ways to get young potential players onto their roster when trades/drafting isn't an option.
DApolloS
PostsCOLON 638

Post by DApolloS »

Lou finally figured out the fax machine:

Cizikas 6 years x 2.5 mil
Palmieri 4 years x 5mil
Sorokin 3 years x 4 mil
Beauvillier 3 years x 4.15 mil
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

sick deal for sorokin
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

Fairly hefty price for a 1B goalie but they must really like him. Varlamov's deal expires a year before this new deal...curious to see which direction they go with their goalies by '23-24.

It's a similar kind of deal that Nedeljkovic got in Detroit. Short-term deal for a reasonable AAV and there's a veteran also in the fold. Both deals walk them up to UFA status. Nedeljkovic's deal overlaps Greiss' deal by a year just like Sorokin with Varlamov.

I have to believe Sorokin has a better chance of being the long-term goalie for the Islanders beyond this deal...it could be Ned's crease in Detroit unless Cossa knocks their socks off.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

Yeah hefty price for a 1b goalie :)
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Post by kyuss »

Shoalzie wroteCOLONFairly hefty price for a 1B goalie but they must really like him. Varlamov's deal expires a year before this new deal...curious to see which direction they go with their goalies by '23-24.

It's a similar kind of deal that Nedeljkovic got in Detroit. Short-term deal for a reasonable AAV and there's a veteran also in the fold. Both deals walk them up to UFA status. Nedeljkovic's deal overlaps Greiss' deal by a year just like Sorokin with Varlamov.
maybe it's just me, but I'd expect Greiss to split starts at the beginning and then either take over if Nedelikovic struggles or getting traded if the latter shows he deserves to be #1
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

Shoalzie wroteCOLONFairly hefty price for a 1B goalie .
wrong analysis

but do u mind adding his contract to our sheet lol
DApolloS
PostsCOLON 638

Post by DApolloS »

8 year x 6.5mil extension for Parayko
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

kimmer wroteCOLON
Shoalzie wroteCOLONFairly hefty price for a 1B goalie .
wrong analysis

but do u mind adding his contract to our sheet lol

Yup, I have some recent contracts to add tonight.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

DApolloS wroteCOLON8 year x 6.5mil extension for Parayko
Oh good. I was concerned he was going to get more than this given recent defensive signings. This fits into my cap structure much better than expected.
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

The Blues like $6.5 million for their defensemen...Faulk, Krug and Parayko all top out at that amount.
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to