NHL Transactions, Injuries & Rumours

Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
BUTTON_POST_REPLY
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Re: NHL Transactions, Injuries & Rumours

Post by kyuss »

it’s not like Provorov has been as good as the hype associated with his name, so far
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

If you're running a NHL team, what makes the most sense?

Sign a young player to a healthy long-term deal with their prime playing years ahead of them?

Or pay a veteran player as an unrestricted free agent where you're more or less paying the player for what they've done in the league rather than paying them for what they'll actually do for the life of their new contract?

I think we're seeing more and more players making immediate impacts while on their entry level contracts and they desire a large raise and a longer term in their next contract. Bridge deals probably don't seem as appealing as before. With players entering the league at 18, 19 or 20...their best earning years seem be their early to mid-20s rather than their late-20s and early-30s when their most productive years may be behind them. With each offseason, there's a lack of depth in the UFA crop as teams are trying to buy up as many of the UFA-eligible years when they sign their young players to long-term deals.

I think the instances of a John Tavares-quality UFA will be more rare. I think any player of quality going to the UFA market will be the "odd man out" with their respective team such a Joe Pavelski or a Jake Gardiner. Players who are essentially priced out of their current team and have to look elsewhere. Teams can only sign so many long-term deals and there's only so much money to go around. It's difficult to ask a team for a second long-term deal as you approach or are past the age of 30 when they have to secure their best young players.
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
The BBKL Insider
PostsCOLON 22628
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 8:46 pm
LocationCOLON San Juan, Puerto Rico

Post by The BBKL Insider »

I would invest in young talent, on a long-term deal.

I wouldn't overpay in the UFA market.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

Honk Honk
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

yea, until every other dog "young talent" in the neighbourhood are paid this way and see that 50 percent of them bust/doesn't fully pan out and have to introduce a possible new type of buyout clause to circumvent keeping them around.

the pk subban era bridge deal days IMO had the best balance of recognizing young talent/paying deserved UFAs
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

kimmer wroteCOLONyea, until every other dog "young talent" in the neighbourhood are paid this way and see that 50 percent of them bust/doesn't fully pan out and have to introduce a possible new type of buyout clause to circumvent keeping them around.

the pk subban era bridge deal days IMO had the best balance of recognizing young talent/paying deserved UFAs
Paying the deserved UFA big money for their declining years has never made much sense. Let the players hit free agency more often - or at least give them the option too. It would sure make the off-season more entertaining.

Maybe these pitiful small market franchises like Florida and co would finally crumble and we can get some better teams into the NHL that can afford to pay and ice a team. OR maybe because salaries for the top players go up, the middle players more often go to the smaller market teams and they become decent because they have depth vs the top heavy big market teams. Could be an interesting dynamic shift!
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
kimmer wroteCOLONyea, until every other dog "young talent" in the neighbourhood are paid this way and see that 50 percent of them bust/doesn't fully pan out and have to introduce a possible new type of buyout clause to circumvent keeping them around.

Paying the deserved UFA big money for their declining years has never made much sense. Let the players hit free agency more often - or at least give them the option too. It would sure make the off-season more entertaining.

Maybe these pitiful small market franchises like Florida and co would finally crumble and we can get some better teams into the NHL that can afford to pay and ice a team. OR maybe because salaries for the top players go up, the middle players more often go to the smaller market teams and they become decent because they have depth vs the top heavy big market teams. Could be an interesting dynamic shift!
Some of these small market teams are at the cap limit (florida/tampa). If a guy like marner gets paid more, it doesn't actually cost them more money. It just leaves less of the pie for lesser players.

In fact, this may actually help a team like Florida as if RFA's are taking up all the cap room on nhl teams moving forward, ufa's may scramble to a place like Florida or tampa due to tax incentives.

Marner being greedy just costs his teammates money, not the leafs money.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Tampa may be small market, but they've mostly been a big market spending team and very competitive (unlike Florida, Carolina -ish, etc.).

I'm going to laugh if Marner signs right on time, and the Leafs have just been trolling the Toronto fans and media because, well, we are gullible suckers.
bills09
PostsCOLON 9280
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:10 pm
LocationCOLON Pickering, Ontario

Post by bills09 »

Marner resigns 6 years 10.8
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

Jordan (VGK)
PostsCOLON 1062
JoinedCOLON Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:29 pm
LocationCOLON Ottawa, ON

Post by Jordan (VGK) »

Wew
Bruyns
PostsCOLON 7177
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 am

Post by Bruyns »

So high for Marner, saving grace is I prefer it over 3 X 9.5 that I heard floating around.

I wonder if Rantanen and Point get 10+ now?
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

I don't think you pay Point over what Vasilevskiy and Kucherov is getting ($9.5 million). I guess it depends if you want to stay relative to the value to the team or do you look at the Marner deal and stack it up against him.

Rantanen's contract will be interesting. MacKinnon still has 4 years left on a criminally cheap deal. I wondered if the Avs hoped to get Rantanen on a 4-year term around the same AAV as MacKinnon and then in 4 years, they could pay MacKinnon and Rantanen together a la Kane and Toews in Chicago.
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
hong57
PostsCOLON 7106
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:38 pm

Post by hong57 »

"Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Mike Babcock said Friday a decision on the team's captaincy is "coming up" and will "end the speculation."

Babcock said his ideal captain will handle the role similar to that of Kawhi Leonard's leadership of the Toronto Raptors last season.

"They do it right every day," Babcock said. "There was a guy who played for the Raptors last year, I don't know if you remember his name. He came into town and he changed things overnight with an unbelievable demeanour, with a stick-to-itiveness like I haven't seen, with a competitive edge, not bothered by much, left all his talking to his play, and they were able to win the championship. And I thought he made the team better around him.

"To me, that's leadership, that's what they do, they bring it every single day.""

https://www.tsn.ca/babcock-toronto-mapl ... -1.1365059

anyone want to guess who has this characteristic? I think JT ALWAYS makes his wingers better.. moulson.. Okposo... they get their paid and well... or maybe buffalo sucks lol
#91 - John Tavares
thom54
PostsCOLON 7459
JoinedCOLON Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:00 pm
LocationCOLON Kingston, ON

Post by thom54 »

it's going to be matthews, no question
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Post by kyuss »

Hearing Laine to Bern :/ #realinsider
The BBKL Insider
PostsCOLON 22628
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 8:46 pm
LocationCOLON San Juan, Puerto Rico

Post by The BBKL Insider »

thom54 wroteCOLONit's going to be matthews, no question
For me it's JT or Morgan Rielly.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

Jared Spurgeon

7 years x 7.575m AAV

#bbklColorado

Seems rather high Given it kicks In right before his 31st birthday.
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136
JoinedCOLON Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:37 pm

Post by CasperX22 »

Matthew wroteCOLONJared Spurgeon

7 years x 7.575m AAV

#bbklColorado

Seems rather high Given it kicks In right before his 31st birthday.
I'll take it.
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to