Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Re: NHL Transactions, Injuries & Rumours

Post by Da_Hawks »

Lee wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Matthew wroteCOLONTo be fair, the fact that another gm is getting paid picks in the first place is stupid. If this thing were done right then the picks would just be dropped by the offending gm.

And if he had played those gp then his pick would likely be a worse pick.
Yeah, this does not make sense to me either.

If a team is intentionally tanking, and his roster is devoid of talent, he likely has an even harder time trying to climb back to relevance. He is punishing him or herself by trading away everyone and not rostering any actual players. If you are fining this team draft picks, you are just prolonging his rebuild. This league needs more competition, not less. Hell, most of the top teams are hording 5-6 actual NHL'ers on their farm anyways. There is seldom enough players to go around. It's tough building a top keeper team dammit! Incentives are better motivators than consequences.

Now, I was obviously not around when those rules were created, and I am sure they were put into place to stop some idiots from having 0 players on their roster. But if I am a rebuilding team, and my team suffers multiple injuries, I am not going out and trading my valuable assets for roster players just hit some damn GP threshold. That's counter-productive to a rebuild.
If you haven't noticed, the CC exists to punish lottery teams for being lottery teams. That is their purpose and function.
Looks like fun! How do you join, or is it an exclusive club?
Lee
PostsCOLON 16828
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:29 pm

Post by Lee »

Pretty exclusive. You have people whine and complain at you all the time.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

CasperX22 wroteCOLON
dave1959 wroteCOLONis there a reason the GM owning the traded pick loses the chance at getting first overall?

this rule was in place before I became a GM here.
My assumption is that it's designed to be a standings adjustment to reflect if that team had made gp. The offending gm compensating the gm owning the pick was likely put into place to appease the gm that has the pick moved back. Just an educated guess on my part though.
That team just needs to learn how to tank better. Pretty clear. That or simply decide the lottery standings based on total points/actual games played. Re-rank based on the lowest points per gp.
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

hey foof

i had to pay up last year, be like me and try hard to make GP and almost the playoffs nxt yr
dave1959
PostsCOLON 5138
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:43 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario

Post by dave1959 »

CasperX22 wroteCOLON
dave1959 wroteCOLONis there a reason the GM owning the traded pick loses the chance at getting first overall?

My assumption is that it's designed to be a standings adjustment to reflect if that team had made gp. The offending gm compensating the gm owning the pick was likely put into place to appease the gm that has the pick moved back. Just an educated guess on my part though.
I get the standings adjustment for the offending team re drafts etc, but I don't get why it should affect GM the pick has been traded to.
foofnik
PostsCOLON 1572
JoinedCOLON Sun May 31, 2015 2:58 pm
LocationCOLON Long Island, New York

Post by foofnik »

kimmer wroteCOLONhey foof

i had to pay up last year, be like me and try hard to make GP and almost the playoffs nxt yr
I own the CHI pick, I don't owe compensation my point is the opposite and that I should be receiving it assuming CHI pick does not win the lottery
foofnik
PostsCOLON 1572

Post by foofnik »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Matthew wroteCOLONTo be fair, the fact that another gm is getting paid picks in the first place is stupid. If this thing were done right then the picks would just be dropped by the offending gm.

If a team is intentionally tanking, and his roster is devoid of talent, he likely has an even harder time trying to climb back to relevance. He is punishing him or herself by trading away everyone and not rostering any actual players. If you are fining this team draft picks, you are just prolonging his rebuild. This league needs more competition, not less. Hell, most of the top teams are hording 5-6 actual NHL'ers on their farm anyways. There is seldom enough players to go around. It's tough building a top keeper team dammit! Incentives are better motivators than consequences.

Now, I was obviously not around when those rules were created, and I am sure they were put into place to stop some idiots from having 0 players on their roster. But if I am a rebuilding team, and my team suffers multiple injuries, I am not going out and trading my valuable assets for roster players just hit some damn GP threshold. That's counter-productive to a rebuild.
Point is not to necessarily be a punishment but rather a deterrent to not miss the GP mark, which is there to set a minimum acceptable standard roster level in the league.
foofnik
PostsCOLON 1572

Post by foofnik »

unlikely, he's neck and neck with NYR, and my own team is next about 90 something points higher so he would be in the same spot basically
foofnik
PostsCOLON 1572

Post by foofnik »

dave1959 wroteCOLON
CasperX22 wroteCOLON

I get the standings adjustment for the offending team re drafts etc, but I don't get why it should affect GM the pick has been traded to.
Theory being they are effected since the pick they traded for is now worth less. But the rule predates me so that's an educated guess not a fact
dave1959
PostsCOLON 5138
LocationCOLON Ontario

Post by dave1959 »

foofnik wroteCOLON
dave1959 wroteCOLON
CasperX22 wroteCOLON

Theory being they are effected since the pick they traded for is now worth less. But the rule predates me so that's an educated guess not a fact

what I'm saying is, it shouldn't be worth any different than if he had made GP...there should be no penalty to a traded pick.
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136
JoinedCOLON Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:37 pm

Post by CasperX22 »

dave1959 wroteCOLON
CasperX22 wroteCOLON

Bc it's an adjustment to the pick itself. The owning gm is inconsequential to where the pick should wind up.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

This isnt true.
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON

You misread what i was saying.
dave1959
PostsCOLON 5138
LocationCOLON Ontario

Post by dave1959 »

yes, but what I am saying, is it shouldn't be.
dave1959
PostsCOLON 5138
LocationCOLON Ontario

Post by dave1959 »

Matthew wroteCOLON

This isnt true.

pretty sure it's been a rule since the league began...or shortly thereafter.
Arian The Insider
PostsCOLON 7304
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:05 pm

Post by Arian The Insider »

I think the rule needs to be adjusted slightly going forward
Click Oilers image below for full team roster
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

It used to be the pick slid back after lottery so the team owning it couldnt win the lotto. Now its pre lotto.

However we disallow the team owning the pick, if it is the team who missed gp, from winning a lotto spot.
koomzzz
PostsCOLON 1245
JoinedCOLON Wed May 25, 2016 2:15 pm
LocationCOLON Cleveland, OH

Post by koomzzz »

i thought i understood this rule until i read these posts, I have no idea what's going on anymore.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Matthew wroteCOLONIt used to be the pick slid back after lottery so the team owning it couldnt win the lotto. Now its pre lotto.

However we disallow the team owning the pick, if it is the team who missed gp, from winning a lotto spot.
That doesn't make much sense though. The team should still have a shot at winning the lotto, just reduced to reflect his GP. As suggested, just re-rank the non-playoff teams by their adjusted points per games played value. This levels the playing field perfectly.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Matthew wroteCOLONIt used to be the pick slid back after lottery so the team owning it couldnt win the lotto. Now its pre lotto.

That doesn't make much sense though. The team should still have a shot at winning the lotto, just reduced to reflect his GP. As suggested, just re-rank the non-playoff teams by their adjusted points per games played value. This levels the playing field perfectly.
I agree, moved back and a fine of a 2nd i think with a possibility to still win lotto. But some people dont agree, so the rule cqnnot change.
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to