Post by Arian The Insider »

Holy shit 9.5, how will they even have cap next year
Click Oilers image below for full team roster
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Re: NHL Transactions, Injuries & Rumours

Post by kyuss »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLONThis trade solidies Tampa as a team that will never win a cup, joining Montreal in the process.

Your team cannot win with that much money tied into goaltending. I bet that I will never be proven wrong.
isn't that what people were saying early on about Pittsburgh because too much money was going to only two players?
KapG
PostsCOLON 11908
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 5:46 pm
LocationCOLON Toronto (beach area)

Post by KapG »

That’s crazy hahaha
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

kyuss wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLONThis trade solidies Tampa as a team that will never win a cup, joining Montreal in the process.

Your team cannot win with that much money tied into goaltending. I bet that I will never be proven wrong.
isn't that what people were saying early on about Pittsburgh because too much money was going to only two players?
I've no issue when the money is tied into your star forwards/dmen... but your goalie should never be one of them.

Is Vasi worth 9.5? Absolutely. But a team should never give that to a goalie because it fucks the rest of the team. IMO goalie salaries should not be counted in the cap. There's almost no way that a team could abuse that... there's only two slots to play, and an elite goalie would never share the spotlight with another elite for an entire year. Let the players earn what they are worth, without it messing up everything else.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
kyuss wroteCOLON

I've no issue when the money is tied into your star forwards/dmen... but your goalie should never be one of them.

Is Vasi worth 9.5? Absolutely. But a team should never give that to a goalie because it fucks the rest of the team. IMO goalie salaries should not be counted in the cap. There's almost no way that a team could abuse that... there's only two slots to play, and an elite goalie would never share the spotlight with another elite for an entire year. Let the players earn what they are worth, without it messing up everything else.
Toronto pays an elite goalie and the backup 25m each. Basically makes a cap pointless.

Poor teams cannot compete with the 5-10 richest teams at that point.
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
Jordan (VGK)
PostsCOLON 1062
JoinedCOLON Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:29 pm
LocationCOLON Ottawa, ON

Post by Jordan (VGK) »

You'll likely be right simply based off how unlikely it is for any team to win the cup, even the proven best team in the regular season.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Matthew wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
kyuss wroteCOLON

Toronto pays an elite goalie and the backup 25m each. Basically makes a cap pointless.

Poor teams cannot compete with the 5-10 richest teams at that point.
First of all, there is still the cap for the main players. If you go and give the goalie 25 million, you won't be getting any ''deals'' from your other star players. Second of all, nobody is paying their back-up 25 million. You still need to have some common sense and a good business strategy. If you want to be really stupid about this, then put a 15 million cap for goalies or something like that. Again, doubtful it's needed.

Either way, your ''poor'' team can pay 5 million for a goalie and he'll still outperform the 25 mil goalie on many nights.

Elite goalies will only win you a championship if you have the freedom to pay them and still ice a team around them.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Malette18 wroteCOLON

You'll likely be right simply based off how unlikely it is for any team to win the cup, even the proven best team in the regular season.
Tampa might even have a hard time being the best in the regular season. It will depend on how much fat they have to trim next year...
Jordan (VGK)
PostsCOLON 1062
JoinedCOLON Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:29 pm
LocationCOLON Ottawa, ON

Post by Jordan (VGK) »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Malette18 wroteCOLON

Tampa might even have a hard time being the best in the regular season. It will depend on how much fat they have to trim next year...
Ya I'm just saying even if Tampa is the best team in the league for the entirety of that contract, their odds to win a cup is still low.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Malette18 wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Malette18 wroteCOLON

Ya I'm just saying even if Tampa is the best team in the league for the entirety of that contract, their odds to win a cup is still low.
My point is that Tampa will no longer be considered one of the top teams in the league because of that contract. Lose too much depth...
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Malette18 wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Malette18 wroteCOLON

My point is that Tampa will no longer be considered one of the top teams in the league because of that contract. Lose too much depth...
Tampa isn't Montreal. They still have point/kucherov/stamkos/hedman/mcdonagh. They could lose Johnson and palat and would still be a top 5 team fairly easily.
thom54
PostsCOLON 7459
JoinedCOLON Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:00 pm
LocationCOLON Kingston, ON

Post by thom54 »

Tbay will deal 2 of Killorn/Palat/TJ and come out winners of those deals ... while cutting major cap. They're set up so so well
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

It will really depend on how well they can surround the top players with cheap contracts, ELCs and whatever else. Their depth on D, much like Toronto is where they are going to be tested, especially given Hedman and Mcdonagh eat a big chunk of cap and tend to get hurt often enough.
cliff11
PostsCOLON 2644
JoinedCOLON Sat May 08, 2010 12:39 pm

Post by cliff11 »

hearing a rumour Vancouver wants TJ and their first is in play hahaha
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

cliff11 wroteCOLONhearing a rumour Vancouver wants TJ and their first is in play hahaha
FML
thom54
PostsCOLON 7459

Post by thom54 »

You want to be a good GM in the NHL ... just keep calling the bad ones... Hello Chiarelli and Hello Benning
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136
JoinedCOLON Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:37 pm

Post by CasperX22 »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
kyuss wroteCOLON

This is so counter intuitive. Either he's worth the money or he's not. If you can't build a winning team around him at that cap hit then he's not worth it. If you can then he's worth it.
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136
JoinedCOLON Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:37 pm

Post by CasperX22 »

By the way, has anyone heard from Fraser lately? Somebody may want to do a courtesy check on him after that contract being handed out.
thom54
PostsCOLON 7459

Post by thom54 »

CasperX22 wroteCOLONBy the way, has anyone heard from Fraser lately? Somebody may want to do a courtesy check on him after that contract being handed out.
i laughed
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

thom54 wroteCOLON
CasperX22 wroteCOLONBy the way, has anyone heard from Fraser lately? Somebody may want to do a courtesy check on him after that contract being handed out.
i laughed
He shouldnt be in too much trouble capwise as it looks like keslers approximately 7m will be going to ltir...forever
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to