BUTTON_POST_REPLY
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

Re: NHL Transactions, Injuries & Rumours

Post by Shoalzie »

Yeah, I'm not a fan of this idea. I can deal with no fans or neutral site games if it comes to that but doing the draft before the season even restarts is nonsense. If they can pull all this off this summer and into the fall, I can wait for it come back and do it in the proper order. It's an unusual situation but no need to throw all the rules out the window. I understood the league-wide lottery following the lost season. There's no reason to do something off the wall here if the intention is to still finish the season.
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Wasn`t the idea behind not screwing up the draft time to ensure that the draft prospects have a full summer to prepare for the upcoming season with some certainty?

My guess is that they are gearing up for a lost season and just want to move on with a normal-ish off-season.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

Wow, Nick Lidstrom is 50 today...I also forgot the fact he played into his early 40s.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

Shoalzie wroteCOLONWow, Nick Lidstrom is 50 today...I also forgot the fact he played into his early 40s.
:lol:

I was just looking at the ages of some retired players I grew up watching yesterday and just boggled by how old their ages made me feel.

Selanne is 50 this summer.

Chris chelios played in the 09-10 season and is closing in on 60 :?
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
Handsome&FairMike
PostsCOLON 4810
JoinedCOLON Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Wolfville, NS

Post by Handsome&FairMike »

Lol Matt how old are you?
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

A nice flurry of Euro signings coming in...

No idea what to make of the Brome signing with Detroit other than what's the harm? They'll be talent-thin again next season and a lot of bad contracts and gradually going away. Yzerman can continue to inject new players onto the roster and hopefully begin the slow turnaround from what I feel this year being rock bottom. I really hope this team isn't morbidly bad for another season. Rebuilding, yes but I don't want this team to get an Oilers vibe of feeding high lottery picks into a poisonous environment of losing.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Post by kyuss »

Just came to me that Larkin is the new Yzerman :shock:
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

kyuss wroteCOLONJust came to me that Larkin is the new Yzerman :shock:
I'm okay with you saying this as long as seider is the new Lidstrom...
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

Comparing Larkin to Yzerman is a major stretch. Maybe Lafreniere is a better comp given the fact he'd join the team at a low point similar to Yzerman becoming the savior of the Dead Wings.

Larkin started his career while the Wings were still a playoff team. In his first 5 seasons, he's 52nd in scoring compared to Yzerman being 22nd scoring in his 5 years. Yzerman in his first 10 years in the league trailed only Gretzky and Lemieux in scoring. Young Yzerman was elite and he was still a top 5 offensive player during Fedorov's first 10 years in the NHL. Larkin's game plays more to the later years of Yzerman's career as far as 2-way play but his knees were shot by then. Larkin is an elite skater.

That being said, I'm a fan of Larkin. There's not a lot to like about the Wings right now but I like him.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

New Yzerman not necessarily going to be as good as the original... (same applies to eventual Red Wings team when it gets good again). I was more talking about the situation Larkin finds himself in, carrying the load as a youngster for a horrible Detroit team

btw I hadn't realized Larkin already played 5 seasons in the NHL, time flies indeed.

Speaking of Yzerman, pleased to see this: https://t.co/Cdugdd6kUJ?amp=1
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

If they are planning a June 1 draft let's hope they tell us in the next week so that we can begin our own in time to finish before the nhl draft begins...may 10th or something...
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

Artyom Zub signs a 1 year deal with Ottawa.

I believe he led KHL dmen in goals. Apparently very sound defensively like Gavrikov.

Link:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tsn.ca ... %3ftsn-amp
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

Looks like the NHL is indeed moving forward with this bull crap:
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl ... ent-teams/
thom54
PostsCOLON 7459
JoinedCOLON Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:00 pm
LocationCOLON Kingston, ON

Post by thom54 »

Yea certainly sounds like this June 5 target date is being pushed hard by Betman et al....
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

If they do we are going to need to get ours ready to begin somewhere between 10th-13th of May (probably a date we should decide in the next 3 days or so in case the nhl does confirm moving forward with this idea) We will need to figure out the draft positions of all our playoff teams. Sounds like we will need to hold our own lottery...perhaps using a draft simulator (someone runs it live?)

On the bright side, most people will be at home so we should be able to get it done quickly ... :lol:
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

Let's gather up the CC members and let's get a plan hammered out if this does happen.
thom54
PostsCOLON 7459
JoinedCOLON Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:00 pm
LocationCOLON Kingston, ON

Post by thom54 »

Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

What drives me crazy about this draft idea is why? I've yet to hear the league give a reason why.

The NBA has delayed their lottery and combine. Their draft is a bit more complicated because players actually have to declare their eligibility for the draft. They enter the NBA draft, they can't go back to college.

For the NHL, you can do the draft any time because it's based on age eligibility. You can draft a junior or a European or NCAA player no matter what the situation is with their leagues and they can still play in those leagues if they don't sign a contract right away.

With the NBA, the players have to give up their remaining college eligibility to be drafted and to hire an agent. If the NBA doesn't have a '20-21 season, those drafted rookies are stuck and can't fall back on playing another season in college.

With the NHL, the teams own their rights until they sign or don't sign by a deadline. I guess I just don't understand the need to push this ahead when you can't make trades. It's like they're hedging their bets if they have to cancel the season and they can just shift immediately into offseason mode but they're doing the draft earlier than normal.

I just don't like this. A virtual draft will go fine but doing this early makes no sense. The NFL draft went great because it was basically the same setup only done from everyone's kitchen or home office instead of a big venue with fans.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

did you read Daly's reasoning behind their push? it's beyond pathetic. Basically, they are ready to lose credibility just to get some exposure while there is nothing going on.

I still hope the teams won't accept this crap
Arian The Insider
PostsCOLON 7304
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:05 pm

Post by Arian The Insider »

As Mik said, they're doing it purely for viewership/attention. The NFL draft garnered record ratings IIRC.

Without the season finishing, I don't think there's a fair way to determine the order. I guess they could go by current standings, but we don't know how the last 10 games + playoff rounds could have changed the outcome. Giving everyone a shot is also not a great idea, since the draft order is designed to help the weaker teams get stronger.

Not to mention teams can't even trade yet.
Click Oilers image below for full team roster
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to