Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

Re: San Jose V. Detroit Discussion Thread

Post by Shoalzie »

Another narrow defeat. 4 losses by one goal. 4 losses decided in the third period or overtime.

When it's that close it comes down to the little things...winning faceoffs, converting mistakes and taking advantage of some good fortune. Both goals involved those three things. The first goal was a well-executed faceoff win leading the puck being worked at the point allowing a shot on goal and with two defensemen still standing on the glove side of Howard, no one was there to engage Thornton and he had an easy scoring chance and he buried it. On the second goal...Murray clearly hit Franzen away from the play and he should've been called for interference. The puck goes the other way on an odd man rush and thankfully nothing came of it. However, with Howard having to cover that puck and the ensuing draw in the Wings' end...Rafalski makes a fatal mistake on the attempted breakout play by leaving it for no one and leaving every Red Wing out of position and with precision passing, the puck found Marleau's stick and the puck found the back of the net.

Considering the Sharks fail so often in the playoffs, I suppose it's a reason celebrate. I've experienced 4 championships since '97 but I've also experienced disappointment. This team always regroups and comes back hungry. Enjoy your series win but I wouldn't want to run into the Blackhawks, who are 60 minutes away from another trip to the Western finals. That team was thoroughly beaten last year by the Wings in that same round and I can't see them failing again. They're a younger version of Detroit. The Sharks beat a very battle-tested but battle-worn team by a narrow margin. A younger and more hungry team should be able to overtake them.
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044
JoinedCOLON Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 am

Post by Nick »

easy there homer.

:rape
Scott
PostsCOLON 7701
JoinedCOLON Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:21 pm
LocationCOLON London, Ontario

Post by Scott »

Fuck the Wings

BACK-TO-BACK BBKL CHAMPIONS!!! 2009-2010 & 2010-2011
bma
PostsCOLON 2282
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:44 pm

Post by bma »

Raptactics wroteCOLONFuck the Wings
I agree. Fuck the wings.
Click banner for full assets/roster
GM Achievements:
2013/14 - WC Quarterfinalist (Colorado Avalanche)
2012/13 - BBKL Finalist and WC Champion (Columbus Blue Jackets)
2011/12 - WC Semi-Finalist (Columbus Blue Jackets)
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 2:04 pm

Post by Shep »

Fuck the Sharks.
Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
Scott
PostsCOLON 7701
JoinedCOLON Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:21 pm
LocationCOLON London, Ontario

Post by Scott »

Snipeshow wroteCOLONFuck the Sharks.
Everytime I see your sig I think Bobby's sizing me up lol

BACK-TO-BACK BBKL CHAMPIONS!!! 2009-2010 & 2010-2011
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901

Post by Shep »

Raptactics wroteCOLON
Snipeshow wroteCOLONFuck the Sharks.
Everytime I see your sig I think Bobby's sizing me up lol
He's entered Godmode.
Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044
JoinedCOLON Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 am

Post by Nick »

did u edit his mouth to open wider?

or black out his bottom teeth

or something?

that is a SICK sig **
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901

Post by Shep »

facey wroteCOLONdid u edit his mouth to open wider?

or something?

that is a SICK sig **
Nah probably just the lighting effects I did.
Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
inferno31
PostsCOLON 1805
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:15 pm
LocationCOLON NYC

Post by inferno31 »

Snipeshow wroteCOLON
facey wroteCOLONdid u edit his mouth to open wider?

or something?

that is a SICK sig **
Nah probably just the lighting effects I did.
Hes totally going super sayan.
Roster
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

I didn't expect any sympathy from Leafs fans...and in fact, I would've disappointed if you had a nice thing to say about the Wings.
Tony
PostsCOLON 11222
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 10:29 pm
LocationCOLON Nevada

Post by Tony »

I hate the Wings with a passion - mostly out of respect, though. They've been SJ's nemesis for sure ... it's always fun, no matter the outcome.
Click banner to view current roster and picks
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

Nighthock wroteCOLONI hate the Wings with a passion - mostly out of respect, though. They've been SJ's nemesis for sure ... it's always fun, no matter the outcome.

Nemesis isn't probably the word I'd use...maybe thorn in your side. You've had other teams that have broken your heart.

I had to look it up to recall every time the Wings and Sharks locked horns in the playoffs. '93-94 was infamous first round loss in 7 games...Jamie Baker with the GWG past a rookie Chris Osgood. That series lost led to them acquiring Mike Vernon from Calgary. What I forgot was that they met up again in '94-95, where the Wings swept the Sharks on the way their first cup finals since '65-66. The Wings lost only 2 games through the Western playoffs before the Devils picked them apart. They don't meet again until '06-07...the Wings beat the Sharks in 6 games but eventually lost to the Ducks in the Western Finals. And then there's this year...the Sharks coming out on top and they even up the playoff matchups at two series wins a piece.

Out of curiosity...I wanted to see who has beaten the Sharks each year in the playoffs. The Maple Leafs took out the Sharks in conference semis in '93-94 after they upset the Wings. As I mentioned, they lost to the Wings in '94-95. They're out of the playoffs for two years prior to Darryl Sutter taking over. They lose to Dallas in the first round in '97-98, Colorado in the first round in '98-99, Dallas in the conference semis in '99-00, St. Louis in the first round in '00-01 and Colorado in the conference semis in '01-02. They make it to the Western Finals in Ron Wilson's first full year in '03-04...prior to the lockout...losing to the Flames in 6. The Oilers beat them in the conference semis in '05-06, the Wings get them in '06-07, the Stars beat them in the '07-08 conference semis and then Anaheim last year got them in the first round.

Based on your history, I'd say Dallas is probably your true playoff nemesis...knocked them out three times to the Wings getting them twice.
jcarton

Post by jcarton »

I don't mind the wings, but it will be nice to see someone else come out of the west, still some really great possible matches
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to