BBKL policy for Centers and Wingers

Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
BUTTON_POST_REPLY
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136
JoinedCOLON Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:37 pm

Re: BBKL policy for Centers and Wingers

Post by CasperX22 »

Matthew wroteCOLONDa_Hawks plays EA Sports NHL on easy mode.
I'm dead :lol:
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Matthew wroteCOLONThe entirety of Fantasy hockey is about projections. If a positional update is a curveball, then why bother having positions at all, or bother having entry drafts, or games where we cannot predict the winner? Learn to project, and prepare for when you miss your projection.
Projections should be about points and statistics, not positions. Come on. If I screw up a draft pick or a trade, that`s on me. But there is no way of knowing that my players, who were centers all last year, are suddenly going to become wingers. I mean, if you can do that, then that`s some high level jedi shit right there.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

CasperX22 wroteCOLON
Matthew wroteCOLONDa_Hawks plays EA Sports NHL on easy mode.
I'm dead :lol:
Don`t tease us.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Matthew wroteCOLON
dave1959 wroteCOLONI think part of the problem is face offs count for Wingers as well as Centres in Fantrax stats, so the whole thing about changing from W to C or C to W just makes it a problem for teams that can't fill the positional requirements of our CBA.
Good thing we have the option of bartering built into our league. One good thing about positional requirements increases league activity via trading.
That`s just a really stupid reason to have a fake rule. I`m fairly certain that you would have just as many trades, if not more, if people knew that when trading for a player at any point, they will remain that position all year.

I am sure that we've all had that conversation where the GM says they aren`t willing to trade for x player until they see where they land after the update, and then things don't go your way and the deal dies.
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136

Post by CasperX22 »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Matthew wroteCOLONThe entirety of Fantasy hockey is about projections. If a positional update is a curveball, then why bother having positions at all, or bother having entry drafts, or games where we cannot predict the winner? Learn to project, and prepare for when you miss your projection.
Projections should be about points and statistics, not positions. Come on. If I screw up a draft pick or a trade, that`s on me. But there is no way of knowing that my players, who were centers all last year, are suddenly going to become wingers. I mean, if you can do that, then that`s some high level jedi shit right there.
I mean it's just as predictive and projectable as trying to figure out how many pts a player will score. At best it's a mild inconvenience to have go out and trade a winger for a center if you miscalculate.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

CasperX22 wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
I mean it's just as predictive and projectable as trying to figure out how many pts a player will score. At best it's a mild inconvenience to have go out and trade a winger for a center if you miscalculate.
Yes, I am sure that the Leafs GM predicted that McDavid was going to become a winger all of the sudden, when in reality he`s a full-time C in real life. This formula does not tell us who is playing C - it tells us who is better at winning faceoffs, which is a terrible indicator.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

"Fake rule" when it doesn't support your team. Having a player stay at a position all year based upon the previous seasons position sounds a lot more fake. Basically, your arguments lately have been "gp is stupid because no one trades me players at the price I want, even though it's my own fault for going overboard tearing my team down" and "positional update is stupid because I didn't plan properly when tearing down my team."

Imo, the better solution would be to either tighten down gp for waiver exemption so NHL roster players cannot be hoarded in teams minors, or to have a midseason waiver eligibility update.
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

I find studying fow projections fun to be honest
keeps me well-informed and honest for the most part when I sift thru each teams depth charts and line combos. as well, u can always base it a bit off of previous years fow numbers and u will know year in year out which ones belong on the upper tier (say 500 or more fow) work down the list to the lesser fow guys and that's when the personal analysis and projections come into play. always have to keep in mind the ice time they get as well which tells you likely who's gonna stay a C.

do your due diligence and spend the time required and i dont find even as a rebuilder, too difficult to land me some Cs.
Last edited by 1 on kimmer, edited 0 times in total.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
CasperX22 wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Yes, I am sure that the Leafs GM predicted that McDavid was going to become a winger all of the sudden, when in reality he`s a full-time C in real life. This formula does not tell us who is playing C - it tells us who is better at winning faceoffs, which is a terrible indicator.
Mcdavid is definitely not a full time center. If he was he would be taking more than 10 faceoffs a game when he's playing 22 minutes a game. you know, more like draistl, who has taken about 20 faceoffs a game.
Last edited by 1 on Matthew, edited 0 times in total.
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136

Post by CasperX22 »

Matthew wroteCOLON"Fake rule" when it doesn't support your team. Having a player stay at a position all year based upon the previous seasons position sounds a lot more fake. Basically, your arguments lately have been "gp is stupid because no one trades me players at the price I want, even though it's my own fault for going overboard tearing my team down" and "positional update is stupid because I didn't plan properly when tearing down my team."

Imo, the better solution would be to either tighten down gp for waiver exemption so NHL roster players cannot be hoarded in teams minors, or to have a midseason waiver eligibility update.
Or everyone could quit trading their 1sts to Mik and the situation would sort itself out on its own.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Matthew wroteCOLON"Fake rule" when it doesn't support your team. Having a player stay at a position all year based upon the previous seasons position sounds a lot more fake. Basically, your arguments lately have been "gp is stupid because no one trades me players at the price I want, even though it's my own fault for going overboard tearing my team down" and "positional update is stupid because I didn't plan properly when tearing down my team."

It`s a fake rule regardless of my team or not. How many full-time, well-established centers do you know that convert to wing on a yearly basis? I bet you that number is negligible. I am betting that this number is even lower when asking how many full-time centers convert to wingers multiple times in a season.

The only time a positional change makes any real sense is with rookies. And still then, our rules have it so that full-time centers like Barzal, McDavid, Couture are now wingers, and full-time wingers like JT Miller and Blake Wheeler are now centers.

The changing every now and then is a nuisance, and should really only be applied to cases where there is a blatant switch in positions that everyone can say ``year, he should probably be changed``.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Matthew wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
CasperX22 wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Mcdavid is definitely not a full time center. If he was he would be taking more than 10 faceoffs a game when he's playing 22 minutes a game. you know, more like draistl, who has taken about 20 faceoffs a game.
McDavid plays full-time C. He may not take as many draws as Drai, but he is certainly the C on his line when they play. We didn`t get rid of Darling`s G eligibility just because his d-men blocked more shots than he did, did we? (Joke)
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Post by kyuss »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLONProjections should be about points and statistics, not positions. Come on. If I screw up a draft pick or a trade, that`s on me. But there is no way of knowing that my players, who were centers all last year, are suddenly going to become wingers.
I don't know if it happens suddenly in your mind, but it sure doesn't per se, in fact FOR ratio are not secret and not even hidden (and actually nowadays shown by fantrax on every team roster), and you can monitor what's the updated number for any of your players.
Jordan (VGK)
PostsCOLON 1062
JoinedCOLON Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:29 pm
LocationCOLON Ottawa, ON

Post by Jordan (VGK) »

kyuss wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLONProjections should be about points and statistics, not positions. Come on. If I screw up a draft pick or a trade, that`s on me. But there is no way of knowing that my players, who were centers all last year, are suddenly going to become wingers.
I don't know if it happens suddenly in your mind, but it sure doesn't per se, in fact FOR ratio are not secret and not even hidden (and actually nowadays shown by fantrax on every team roster), and you can monitor what's the updated number for any of your players.
But there is no way of knowing that my players, who played PK/PP all last year, are suddenly going to no longer get that usage.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON It`s a fake rule regardless of my team or not. How many full-time, well-established centers do you know that convert to wing on a yearly basis? I bet you that number is negligible. I am betting that this number is even lower when asking how many full-time centers convert to wingers multiple times in a season.

The only time a positional change makes any real sense is with rookies. And still then, our rules have it so that full-time centers like Barzal, McDavid, Couture are now wingers, and full-time wingers like JT Miller and Blake Wheeler are now centers.

The changing every now and then is a nuisance, and should really only be applied to cases where there is a blatant switch in positions that everyone can say ``year, he should probably be changed``.
you were not here when we had a different system, more along your point of view, and it was a nightmare to manage. In fact this FOR solution was one of the main improvements made in BBKL, stopping endless arguments that would lead to controversies full of blaming and complaints
foofnik
PostsCOLON 1572
JoinedCOLON Sun May 31, 2015 2:58 pm
LocationCOLON Long Island, New York

Post by foofnik »

Another option to throw in:
FT allows only counting FOW from players set at C

I'm in another league where players use their FT determined position, including duals, but only players slotted at C have their FOW counted in the H2H matchups.

In here we would move to a F-D-G system and you can slot whatever 3-5 players you want each week in the C slots and the rest of the forwards as wingers where FOW doesn't count.

You want to hoard centers, fine, but you only get FOW from 5 of them. You're tanking, fine put wingers there and punt the category.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

Malette18 wroteCOLON
kyuss wroteCOLON
But there is no way of knowing that my players, who played PK/PP all last year, are suddenly going to no longer get that usage.
yep that can happen suddenly instead, which shows the W/C thing is much easier to project and manage than other things
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

foofnik wroteCOLONAnother option to throw in:
FT allows only counting FOW from players set at C

I'm in another league where players use their FT determined position, including duals, but only players slotted at C have their FOW counted in the H2H matchups.

In here we would move to a F-D-G system and you can slot whatever 3-5 players you want each week in the C slots and the rest of the forwards as wingers where FOW doesn't count.

You want to hoard centers, fine, but you only get FOW from 5 of them. You're tanking, fine put wingers there and punt the category.
you mean you'd be allowed to dress all wingers instead of at least 3 C? that sounds awful to me
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

foofnik wroteCOLONAnother option to throw in:
that's interesting actually
however I wudnt encourage the latter, as it directly conflicts with the anti-tanking measures we have in place. if u don't want stats in, people usually secretly bench them as its done already.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

kyuss wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLON It`s a fake rule regardless of my team or not. How many full-time, well-established centers do you know that convert to wing on a yearly basis? I bet you that number is negligible. I am betting that this number is even lower when asking how many full-time centers convert to wingers multiple times in a season.

you were not here when we had a different system, more along your point of view, and it was a nightmare to manage. In fact this FOR solution was one of the main improvements made in BBKL, stopping endless arguments that would lead to controversies full of blaming and complaints
Could you not use the FOR to establish a list of candidates eligible for a position switch and then move over the obvious candidates instead of everyone?

Failing that, what the Sharks GM mentioned would easily be the best solution.
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to