Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Re: BBKL policy for Centers and Wingers

Post by Da_Hawks »

kimmer wroteCOLON
foofnik wroteCOLONAnother option to throw in:
You want to hoard centers, fine, but you only get FOW from 5 of them. You're tanking, fine put wingers there and punt the category.
that's interesting actually
however I wudnt encourage the latter, as it directly conflicts with the anti-tanking measures we have in place. if u don't want stats in, people usually secretly bench them as its done already.
Just fine teams that are intentionally hiding stats in order to lose. It would be pretty obvious.
Jordan (VGK)
PostsCOLON 1062
JoinedCOLON Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:29 pm
LocationCOLON Ottawa, ON

Post by Jordan (VGK) »

Malette18 wroteCOLONI’ve put this forward in another league that the formula makes sense but having 3C minimum doesn’t really. Rebuilders are forced to pay for the most expensive position that normally goes against their rebuild just to meet a standard level of competitiveness in FOW. That standard doesn’t exist for any other category and we don’t force teams to dress a min number of PKers or whatever.

Contenders will always have the incentive to hold 5C + bench + exempt but rebuilders shouldn’t have to worry if they are flirting with this arbitrary line we decide. Now, I’m sure there’s some balance here that there’s more scoring W’s out there and punting FOW in favour of scoring cats may make sense and contenders would dress 0C. Haven’t really considered the impact this would have on roster composition at a macro level. Lowering the min to 2C could just be the enough flexibility needed to allow for injuries and variance in the positional changes to make roster management less of a hassle.

Spitballing an alternative to debating 0.45/0.4/0.35.
Similar to Josh's idea without the constraint on which stats count.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Post by kyuss »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON Could you not use the FOR to establish a list of candidates eligible for a position switch and then move over the obvious candidates instead of everyone?
absolutely not. That would erase any progress we made on the subject (there is no objectively "obvious")
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

The position changes help some teams and hurt others. To me, it's about knowing your roster and understanding which guys are natural centers and natural wingers and who are the forwards that have versatility.

I can see Mark's point that leaving the positions the same all season but I think we're trying to properly cast the players based on the roles they play in the NHL. Guys will go between C and W based on what best benefits their the NHL team. Unfortunately, that's out of our control.
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

kyuss wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLON Could you not use the FOR to establish a list of candidates eligible for a position switch and then move over the obvious candidates instead of everyone?
absolutely not. That would erase any progress we made on the subject (there is no objectively "obvious")
What I meant were those who shot way up vs those who just missed the cut off. The exceptions and not the rule.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Matthew wroteCOLONThe entirety of Fantasy hockey is about projections. If a positional update is a curveball, then why bother having positions at all, or bother having entry drafts, or games where we cannot predict the winner? Learn to project, and prepare for when you miss your projection.
Projections should be about points and statistics, not positions. Come on. If I screw up a draft pick or a trade, that`s on me. But there is no way of knowing that my players, who were centers all last year, are suddenly going to become wingers. I mean, if you can do that, then that`s some high level jedi shit right there.
Greg McKegg? I definitely wouldn't bet money he would be staying a C and would have had a backup. You could probably trade him for a center who is of little consequence.
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

Could we conceivably have position-less forwards slots? Probably but so many of us have made trades surrounding players who are centers vs. wingers and vice versa. It's been a big influence in the types of moves we make.

It's just another one of those factors we have to work around when building a lineup. It's not like we can just play any 18 guys on our roster on a given week. There's got to be some rules and guidelines.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Matthew wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Matthew wroteCOLONThe entirety of Fantasy hockey is about projections. If a positional update is a curveball, then why bother having positions at all, or bother having entry drafts, or games where we cannot predict the winner? Learn to project, and prepare for when you miss your projection.
Projections should be about points and statistics, not positions. Come on. If I screw up a draft pick or a trade, that`s on me. But there is no way of knowing that my players, who were centers all last year, are suddenly going to become wingers. I mean, if you can do that, then that`s some high level jedi shit right there.
Greg McKegg? I definitely wouldn't bet money he would be staying a C and would have had a backup. You could probably trade him for a center who is of little consequence.
It shouldn't matter though. He missed the cut off by a slim margin even though he's only been playing C this year (albeit poorly).
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

He hasn't been taking many faceoffs per minutes played tho. It's a mathematical equation...soo
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

On the bright side, it's only one more week of the regular season. This position change affects playoff teams more than the lottery teams.

For me, I've been wanting to put Lazar at center for a while but we're all playing with the same set of rules. Just had to be creative with my lineup in the mean time.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Matthew wroteCOLONHe hasn't been taking many faceoffs per minutes played tho. It's a mathematical equation...soo
And that should disqualify him as a center? The Rags 4th line as a while is awful. That does not mean he's not a center.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Matthew wroteCOLONHe hasn't been taking many faceoffs per minutes played tho. It's a mathematical equation...soo
And that should disqualify him as a center? The Rags 4th line as a while is awful. That does not mean he's not a center.
Yes, absolutely. If he isn't taking faceoffs he shouldn't be considered a center. Lol.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Matthew wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Yes, absolutely. If he isn't taking faceoffs he shouldn't be considered a center. Lol.
But he's playing center...
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Matthew wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Our positional definition is based on faceoffs. He doesn't take many per time he is on the ice. Im sorry you want us to be subjective, but that is far too messy. Basing the position on an objective formula is far clearer and easier.
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136
JoinedCOLON Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:37 pm

Post by CasperX22 »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Well you have to define a center somehow. And the way you do that in the context of fantasy is fot.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

We are all intelligent people here. I cannot believe that there isn't a way to manage exceptions.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Matthew wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Matthew wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Our positional definition is based on faceoffs. He doesn't take many per time he is on the ice. Im sorry you want us to be subjective, but that is far too messy. Basing the position on an objective formula is far clearer and easier.
I have no issue with the formula so long as it is applied once instead of multiple times. Let the season begin with some certainty.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

I think the majority of people would prefer to have it applied more than the 2 seasonal updates, rather than fewer.
Jordan (VGK)
PostsCOLON 1062
JoinedCOLON Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:29 pm
LocationCOLON Ottawa, ON

Post by Jordan (VGK) »

Matthew wroteCOLONI think the majority of people would prefer to have it applied more than the 2 seasonal updates, rather than fewer.
+1
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Matthew wroteCOLONI think the majority of people would prefer to have it applied more than the 2 seasonal updates, rather than fewer.
Are there polls on this forum? I'd be interested to see people's opinion. Either once and leave it or multiple times.
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to