Photo question for Shiv and Shep

Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
armandtanzarian

Photo question for Shiv and Shep

Post by armandtanzarian »

I figured id ask you guys. This is my Aunt and uncles house in Calgary up for sale. Look at the pictures. It seems as thoguh there is some special effect being used on the photos to make the rooms seem a lot larger than they actually are. If this is true how are they doing it? what is the effect? Is it a lens or is it post processing?

http://v1.obeo.com/public/viewer/defaul ... irect=true
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044
JoinedCOLON Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 am

Re: Photo question for Shiv and Shep

Post by Nick »

lol...looks kinda ridiculous .... some weird pulled back feeling..
armandtanzarian

facey wroteCOLONlol...looks kinda ridiculous .... some weird pulled back feeling..
Yea but for a Realtor who's first impression to a buyer is a photo on a website it is an advantage to the untrained eye. My mother in Law is a Realtor here which is why i am trying to figure it out...
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 2:04 pm

Post by Shep »

99% sure it's the lens.
Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
armandtanzarian

yea, gotta be like this..

Making it big

Image of a girl playinig with A/C and a boy watching her at a distanceLet's take for example a simple situation (the image to the right), where we have two kids, which should be of similar size. The girl is playing with the A/C vent while the boy is watching. This shot was made with a wide angle lens. What effect the lens brought here? First of all compare the size of the girl and the boy. The boy probably is from two to three times smaller than the girl, while in reality their somewhat of the same height. OK, the perspective added its effect and make the boy seem smaller. But in the reality the boy is not that far away. On the photograph I would guess there is 15-20 feet (5-7 meters) between the boy and the girl, actually only 10-12 feet separated them at that moment. So here you see the first effect of the wide angle lens — stretching perspective. And I should say that there is additional benefit for a photographer in this. Because the girl appear to be bigger than the boy she becomes the main subject without any doubts or additional thinking, we just assume it by judging the relative sizes of subjects/objects in the frame. It means that with wide angle lens its much easier to focus viewer's attention on the primary subject — the size matters. If we consider the relative sizes and how it reduces the significance of the objects/subjects that farther away from the camera, we can say that the other elements of the photograph (not the primary one) easily become the background for our primary subject. And this trail of thought leads me to a conclusion that by using wide angle lens we can separate the subject from the rest of stuff in the image by making all other elements to become the background. It looks like we push all other elements farther away from the camera and pull the subject much closer to the camera.

Though there is one side thought, it may not always be possible to get close to the subject and enforce that distance between elements in the photograph. It only works when you are very close to the subject, otherwise the use of wide angle lens will have the opposite effect — it will blend your subject with the rest of the elements in the photograph. And sometimes it may even worsen things, such that some insignificant object on front plane becomes almost huge and draws a lot of unwanted attention. That's why there are limits to this techniqe, as always :).
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 2:04 pm

Post by Shep »

That would be correct. I guess I should have put "99% sure it's a wide angle lens" but you figured it out anyways. :mrgreen:
Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
armandtanzarian

Snipeshow wroteCOLONThat would be correct. I guess I should have put "99% sure it's a wide angle lens" but you figured it out anyways. :mrgreen:
Well i adjusted my google search to include "lens" so you helped, thanks!
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to