Newbies' doubts: help by the league

Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Newbies' doubts: help by the league

Post by kyuss »

As i was suggested when i was bothering guys with questions about the rules, I’ll start a thread for newbies where to post all the doubts we may have.

First I’ll write down some assumptions, i.e. things i think I have got, but I’m not 100% sure i got them right or I remember correctly.
Please point out whatever wrong you find there!

Then come all the questions that throng my mind at the moment.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help and ease the route for newcomers.

Facts

- Teams will hold the rights of their players forever (unless they drop/trade them)

- Only the active salary needs to be under the cap. Total salary doesn’t matter at all.

- During the regular season, it only matters winning single stats; winning the matchup doesn't bring any benefit.

- Lottery works the same as in the NHL => for example, last team is assured to pick in one of the first 2 positions.

- It looks like at the moment for many prospect it is not possible to make a research on CBS.. so it's hard to realize which team holds their rights..
What about creating a thread where every teams' prospects get copied in a condensed manner? That way one could look into it to find the player using F5.

Questions

- When I add a player off waivers, wouldn’t he join the farm? How can that put me over the cap?

- I can drop a player whenever i want and as soos as i do my team gets free of his cap hit?

- Any specific rules for players who sign overseas or retirements before or during the season?

- Does the waiver wire stay available during the playoffs? are the eliminated teams allowed to drop players?

- When do cap and floor numbers become official for the next season?

- We use the cap hits reported here http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php? ... eason=0910 right? not the real salary nor the cap number right?
Then i have some CBA related questions..
how does the cap hit work? I am not a CBA geek so I’m wondering why Stoa's cap hit is so small whereas he earns much more…
cap hit does stay always the same till the end of the contract right? What is Klein's cap hit going to be in the next few yrs? what do those red numbers mean?

- When is the trade deadline? How much before the playoffs?

- What is the playoff tiebreaker? (i think it should be the higher seed after the regular season, but maybe that's not the case)
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044
JoinedCOLON Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 am

Re: Newbies' doubts: help by the league

Post by Nick »

We use the cap hits reported here http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php? ... eason=0910 right? not the real salary nor the cap number right?
Then i have some CBA related questions..
how does the cap hit work? I am not a CBA geek so I’m wondering why Stoa's cap hit is so small whereas he earns much more…
cap hit does stay always the same till the end of the contract right? What is Klein's cap hit going to be in the next few yrs? what do those red numbers mean?
nhlnumbers.com is closed....

http://www.capgeek.com/charts_index.php
is the better reference for salaries.... and yes we use cap hit... as does the NHL

- When I add a player off waivers, wouldn’t he join the farm? How can that put me over the cap?

It depends whether he was on the way down or way up..... if you claimed a player who was an NHLer another GM put on waivers then he would join your team counting vs the cap. If the player was on re-entry, then he joins your roster in the minors, no cap hit.

some of your other answers can be found in specific rules... take a 2nd look through the rules thread regarding add/dropping signed euro/ncaa/retired players

When is the trade deadline? How much before the playoffs?
3 weeks before the start of OUR playoffs is what we did this past season.... however once the playoffs start, the non-playoff teams can trade again, just like in the real NHL <- for many of our questions that is the answer, as close to real as we could get.
tyler
PostsCOLON 1458
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 8:00 pm
LocationCOLON Vancouver, BC.

Post by tyler »

About your fact; winining matchup does not bringbenefit... Yes, the goal is to win as many single categories that week as possible. ... BUT, winning the week means you won more categories than theither team. That's the objective.

I have a question, have we decided how our scoring will be ranked? Is it 2 points per won category, 1 point for tied category still? Or are we doing if you win the week you get a W, Lise you get a L, tie is a T. I would prefer that method because it more relates to the NHL and our H2H vs format. Thoughts?
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044

Post by Nick »

hasn't been discussed yet i don't think....

personally i like the 2 TOTAL points being given out per week... and not the possibility of 16wins with 32 pts being given out... but ....

IMO is based off of-> the NHL does not care how much you win by, why should we.
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 2:04 pm

Post by Shep »

facey wroteCOLONhasn't been discussed yet i don't think....

personally i like the 2 TOTAL points being given out per week... and not the possibility of 16wins with 32 pts being given out... but ....

IMO is based off of-> the NHL does not care how much you win by, why should we.
The only thing I don't like about the W for the week is I personally think with only 23 weeks or whatever it is, there will be a lot of very similar records. But I don't make the decisions.

I like what we had last year, however the one thing I REALLY like about the W for the week is you don't have a team that catches a couple 16-0-0, 15-1-1 weeks vs the very week teams to really catch up when other teams do not face them. A simple WIN is a lot less of an advantage then a complete pwnage.
Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044

Post by Nick »

which is kinda my point with only giving out a total of 2 pts per game/week ie... we bring back the TIE !!! (or the tie breaker makes one team get 2pts and the other still gets 1)....

the wings shelling the sharks 7-1 or w.e. only counted as one win... same as them losing 2-1....

shelling a team 16-0-0 shouldn't be worth more then beating a team 8-7-1.... a win is a win...
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901

Post by Shep »

facey wroteCOLONwhich is kinda my point with only giving out a total of 2 pts per game/week ie... we bring back the TIE !!! (or the tie breaker makes one team get 2pts and the other still gets 1)....

the wings shelling the sharks 7-1 or w.e. only counted as one win... same as them losing 2-1....

shelling a team 16-0-0 shouldn't be worth more then beating a team 8-7-1.... a win is a win...
In our league I think winning 16-0-0 is important, but not if you are facing the 30th place team with a lucky draw of the schedule.
Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044

Post by Nick »

why?

NJD beats NYI 16-0-0 then say i beat him 14-0-2 and in a moment of shear luck i beat NJD 8-7-1

i've won 2 weeks, he's 1-1... yet with last seasons scoring system (which was not intended btw, a mistake to have it scored like that) he'd actually be ahead of me (32+15 = 47pts ve 28+17=45)... it's inaccurate !
Shep
PostsCOLON 13901

Post by Shep »

facey wroteCOLONwhy?
Because your team is better than them in more stats.
Inaugural GM
[STL] 2009 - 2016
[PHI] 2019 -
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044

Post by Nick »

Snipeshow wroteCOLON
facey wroteCOLONwhy?
Because your team is better than them in more stats.

that should show by winning more weeks :)
armandtanzarian

Post by armandtanzarian »

nhlnumbers.com is closed....

http://www.capgeek.com/charts_index.php
is the better reference for salaries.... and yes we use cap hit... as does the NHL

Um, I am pretty sure we are supposed to have been using CAP NUMBER not Cap Hit. Cap hit could be potentially lower for players that are coming up and down in the NHL. I had this exact issue last season and it was clarified by Scott and someone else as I was using for example Johnny Boychuks Cap Hit where the CAP NUMBER was larger and it was determined that i had to use that. This was determined to be the best route for simplicity reasons. I have no problems using the other one but i have a few players that it affected and the extra salary room i could have gained was enough to be mentionable. We should really figure this out asap...
armandtanzarian

Post by armandtanzarian »

I think there is actually a discrepancy in terminology between Capgeek and nhlnumbers with the word CapHit. CapHit on NHL numbers showed what the hit was to the team for the year where the CAPNUMBER was the actual contract value. For example Miro Satan signed in January, his CAP NUMBER was 700,000 while his CAP HIT to Boston was like 300,000. There is some confusion there. On CapGeek, CapHit is what Cap Number used to be on NHLnumbers.com.
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044

Post by Nick »

we do not pro-rate for gp.

cap hit/cap number purely a naming issue... capnumbers.com never kept up to date on the pro-rating anyways (injuries etc).

we use gapgeek. its very accurate and very up-to-date.

we don't use salary, the NHL does not. it would be nice to pro-rate over games played... but frankly 3/4 of the league wouldn't be able to keep up with it (as its a day by day cap system... really cool and would allow for some capmagic by GM's who are decent with #'s... but unrealistic for the current state of the league)

so we use the avg salary of the player over the term of their contract. this is what the NHL does. and we include FULL bonus potential.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

Let's see if i got it right:

we use this http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team= ... cap_thou=8
whose numbers are the ones in the cap hit column here http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php? ... eason=0910
right?

Speaking of the scoring system, i don't know if you guys already considered the option of counting both stats wins and matchups outcome.
Personally that's my preference and as i've experienced, it adds quite a lot of fun: once you add a bonus for W and Tie, it adds a lot of interest to close matchups, since ending a matchup 8-7 instead of 7-8 really makes a difference.
And as far as realism goes, it's still less unrealistic than only using stats wins.

To complete my opinion on the subject, i'm against using only W-T-L cause it becomes deadly boring, with many weeks decided way before their end, often making the last days of the week pointless.
bills09
PostsCOLON 9280
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:10 pm
LocationCOLON Pickering, Ontario

Post by bills09 »

kyuss wroteCOLONLet's see if i got it right:

we use this http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team= ... cap_thou=8
whose numbers are the ones in the cap hit column here http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php? ... eason=0910
right?

Speaking of the scoring system, i don't know if you guys already considered the option of counting both stats wins and matchups outcome.
Personally that's my preference and as i've experienced, it adds quite a lot of fun: once you add a bonus for W and Tie, it adds a lot of interest to close matchups, since ending a matchup 8-7 instead of 7-8 really makes a difference.
And as far as realism goes, it's still less unrealistic than only using stats wins.

To complete my opinion on the subject, i'm against using only W-T-L cause it becomes deadly boring, with many weeks decided way before their end, often making the last days of the week pointless.
Yeah i liked the current system
we had some interesting races to end the year.
Tony
PostsCOLON 11222
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 10:29 pm
LocationCOLON Nevada

Post by Tony »

Hm ... I assumed we already used cap hit.
Click banner to view current roster and picks
Nick
PostsCOLON 16044

Post by Nick »

Nighthock wroteCOLONHm ... I assumed we already used cap hit.

we did. this was the answer to the question.

last year our scoring system was accidental.... we had planned on the 1x W-L-T per week but it started differently and could not be adjusted for... having one win worth more then another is silly an unrealistic ...beating the crap out of a bottom feeder should not be worth more then narrowly beating a power house....
MSP4LYFE
PostsCOLON 11503
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 4:22 pm
LocationCOLON Mississauga, Ontario
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MSP4LYFE »

facey wroteCOLON
Nighthock wroteCOLONHm ... I assumed we already used cap hit.

we did. this was the answer to the question.

last year our scoring system was accidental.... we had planned on the 1x W-L-T per week but it started differently and could not be adjusted for... having one win worth more then another is silly an unrealistic ...beating the crap out of a bottom feeder should not be worth more then narrowly beating a power house....
By making it W-L-T as one point, we also diminish the excitement of the last few days in the weekend, and late season competitions for the Presidents Trophy. Take last season for example, Scott would have won the Presidents Trophy by mid season under that scheme. Both alternative offer several different pros and cons, but the current scheme seems to generate greater excitement and surprise by seasons end, for that reason I am in favour of keeping it, but this should probably be discussed in the CC.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

facey wroteCOLON last year our scoring system was accidental.... we had planned on the 1x W-L-T per week but it started differently and could not be adjusted for... having one win worth more then another is silly an unrealistic ...beating the crap out of a bottom feeder should not be worth more then narrowly beating a power house....
dude, it's still a game.. realism is a good thing only until it doesn't go against the fun this game is supposed to bring.
Imho, having every week several days that will matter nothing at all for many GMs won't contribute to their fun and keeping up the interest..

i think you have a good point suggesting that winning or losing the matchup should count, cause it's both realistic and fun, but taking away the points coming out of single stats wins would lead to a lot of early yawns.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

WHat happens if a GM tries to select a non-eligible player at the draft?

is he given the chance to re-do the pick or is that pick lost as a result?
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to