Expansion Trades

Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Re: Expansion Trades

Post by Da_Hawks »

Swapping team identities and assets is no different than a team randomly wanting to blow it up, trade everything away and rebuild.

I think if it gives GMs the team they want, and a reason to stay and be active, then go for it.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

We did it a couple times. Vancouver and Buffalo changed hands way back when and I want to say Shep ended up with the Blues after he was Hartford and then another team assumed the identity of Ottawa.
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

It's a bad idea.

1. Teams have been consistently denied in the recent past. Hasn't happened in the 7 years since I joined.
2. What if a team like Toronto becomes available, and multiple gms want it?
3. Gms will jump Willy nilly from 1 team to another.
4. GM will leverage to get his roster into easier division.
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
Chuck Norris
PostsCOLON 4954
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:17 pm

Post by Chuck Norris »

Shoalzie wroteCOLON
foofnik wroteCOLON
Shoalzie wroteCOLONDoes he want the Islanders or does he just want the identity?
team name, not the assets (or lackthereof)

We've done identity swaps in the past and teams have rebranded. I think Shep used to have the Hartford Whalers because I want to say early on in the BBKL's existence nobody wanted Ottawa...this being a Leafs fan league originally.

I'm open-minded to stuff like that but it's not entirely my call. It's not much work to change things around.
I got the habs back in year 1; although I cant remember if someone vacated the habs for me and took another or if we did an identity swap.
Chuck Norris
PostsCOLON 4954
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:17 pm

Post by Chuck Norris »

Matthew wroteCOLONIt's a bad idea.

1. Teams have been consistently denied in the recent past. Hasn't happened in the 7 years since I joined.

1. True
2. Perhaps if multiples want it then no one gets it and it only goes to a new guy. Or hold a lottery at random.
3. Only if we let them. Im sure the CC can establish a rule set to govern it
4. Sure I guess but who really cares so long as the league is full. Once they cross over in playoffs they get crushed by their old division anyway.

I do think inetrest in BBKL has waned substantially the past few years and we've been fighting to keep it fresh and relevant. If its not too much work for Scott to transfer things over then why not allow people to switch to a team they want. I love the fact that Im able to represent my team in this league and adds a whole other element of enjoyment for me. Hopefully it helps to refresh peoples interest in the league and keep things fresh.
thom54
PostsCOLON 7459
JoinedCOLON Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:00 pm
LocationCOLON Kingston, ON

Post by thom54 »

Chuck Norris wroteCOLON
Matthew wroteCOLONIt's a bad idea.

1. True
2. Perhaps if multiples want it then no one gets it and it only goes to a new guy. Or hold a lottery at random.
3. Only if we let them. Im sure the CC can establish a rule set to govern it
4. Sure I guess but who really cares so long as the league is full. Once they cross over in playoffs they get crushed by their old division anyway.

I do think inetrest in BBKL has waned substantially the past few years and we've been fighting to keep it fresh and relevant. If its not too much work for Scott to transfer things over then why not allow people to switch to a team they want. I love the fact that Im able to represent my team in this league and adds a whole other element of enjoyment for me. Hopefully it helps to refresh peoples interest in the league and keep things fresh.

concur with all points ... and something to promote league trade movement would be nice ... I also miss Shiv's insane 20 part rotation trades
dave1959
PostsCOLON 5138
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:43 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario

Post by dave1959 »

just because we may allow it occasionally, wouldn't mean we have to do it upon every request.
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

ya CAR is bad luck for me
lemme rebrand to SJS. I'll take my shitty assets with me
me (car) >> sjs
foof (sjs) >> nyi
CAR gm for hire (ez division)
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

I want Carolina. I'd prefer to go to an easier division.

Me (ana) > car
Car (Kim) > sjs
Sjs (foof) > nyi
Someone else can take anaheim.
DApolloS
PostsCOLON 638
JoinedCOLON Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:24 am

Post by DApolloS »

This league is like a musical chairs...
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Matthew wroteCOLONI want Carolina. I'd prefer to go to an easier division.

Me (ana) > car
Car (Kim) > sjs
Sjs (foof) > nyi
Someone else can take anaheim.
I don`t see a reason why this shouldn`t be allowed. Put a cap on a team being able to move.. like once every 5 years.

Besides, who doesn`t like musical chairs? Great whilst sober and the opposite.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

I'm hoping to have expansion protection sheets out to every team at some point next week.

With the 27/54 GP requirement, that information can't be finalized until the end of the NHL regular season. You guys can at least start making decisions on who you want to protect or it can influence any trades you want to make prior to the protection deadline (date TBD).

I'll have a series of sheets for Seattle to use at some point in May.
DApolloS
PostsCOLON 638

Post by DApolloS »

Shoalzie wroteCOLONI'm hoping to have expansion protection sheets out to every team at some point next week.

With the 27/54 GP requirement, that information can't be finalized until the end of the NHL regular season. You guys can at least start making decisions on who you want to protect or it can influence any trades you want to make prior to the protection deadline (date TBD).

Will these protection sheets be visible to everyone? Just wondering if I'll have something better to work with to see who is all eligible for the expansion draft while i wait for my stuff.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

DApolloS wroteCOLON
Shoalzie wroteCOLONI'm hoping to have expansion protection sheets out to every team at some point next week.

Will these protection sheets be visible to everyone? Just wondering if I'll have something better to work with to see who is all eligible for the expansion draft while i wait for my stuff.
Capfriendly has an expansion list to tell you who is eligible
DApolloS
PostsCOLON 638

Post by DApolloS »

Matthew wroteCOLON
DApolloS wroteCOLON

Capfriendly has an expansion list to tell you who is eligible
Well not for Vegas players, but still, that's a lot of work to go back and forth non stop to see who is eligible on every single team.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

DApolloS wroteCOLON

Yup, sheets will be visible for each team. Once I make everyone's individual team sheet, I'll make yours...it'll just be a reference of each team's sheet. Then you'll have a sheet to make your actual picks.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

We should nail down the date we will be doing the expansion draft. As it need to be before entry draft.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

As of now, the expansion draft is July 21 and the entry draft is July 23-24. It would make sense for us to do our entry draft starting July 1.

Tim started his expansion picks in mid-May when we'd usually start our entry draft at the beginning of June. Would we want to do the expansion draft during the back half of June?

We usually have a trade freeze during the NHL playoffs but might have to lift that early to give teams a chance to make any moves prior to the final protection deadline.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Post by kyuss »

Shoalzie wroteCOLONWe usually have a trade freeze during the NHL playoffs...
wait... we do?
DApolloS
PostsCOLON 638

Post by DApolloS »

I'll probably do my expansion draft like he did it, announce one pick at a time. I will let you all know though that we are expecting and the baby is due beginning of July, but it's more likely he'll show up end of June so if my wife ends up going into labor while.im announcing picks, I'll send my selections to my "trade advisor" and he can finish announcing the team. We are also moving unto our new house on June 5th sp that whole month will be insane, so bare with me.
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to