Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

2020-21 Google Sheets

Post by Shoalzie »

Now that the draft is over, I can get back to focusing on the Google sheet design. I'm working two different styles of weekly sheets and I'm going to give each of you the option to decide which style you want to use for your team.

One design is what I call "mobile-friendly" where you primarily use check boxes to make your lineup selections and no data entry is required. It should work well on your phone or tablet if you don't do your league business primarily on a computer.

The other design will be a more traditional data-entry style where you can type in the names. This can work on a smaller device but I wouldn't recommend it.

Both styles of sheet will have the single check box function of re-using the previous week's lineup if you aren't making changes. I'm working out some of the bugs from last year to ensure it works properly. Since we have the extra time ahead of next season, I figured I'd spend a little more time and work out any potential issues.

I'm also working on reducing the amount of information that is imported to your sheets so loading and updating will (hopefully) be faster. I have all your rosters updated in Google including all the recent draftees. You will have updated rosters to use for your sheets when I'm done.

I'll post samples of the two styles of sheets when I'm complete and you guys can pick which one you want and I'll create your team sheets and share them. Please let me know if your sharing e-mail has changed.

Thanks.
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
Loki
PostsCOLON 1938
JoinedCOLON Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:38 pm
LocationCOLON Melbourne, AUS

Re: 2020-21 Google Sheets

Post by Loki »

This sounds awesome, you outdo yourself every year
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

After working on it a bit yesterday, I'm satisfied with the designs. I'm down to fixing bugs with how the data populates. I'll do a little more testing with the mobile design on my phone to check performance and reliability.

I'm hoping by tomorrow I'll share the two examples and you guys can pick which one you want and I'll set your sheet up for you.
KapG
PostsCOLON 11908
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 5:46 pm
LocationCOLON Toronto (beach area)

Post by KapG »

Loki wroteCOLONThis sounds awesome, you outdo yourself every year
We would be so lost without Shoalzie!!!!

I’ll definitely take the mobile one. Thank you for all your hard work :)!!!.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

You're part of the inspiration behind the two designs. The check boxes seem to work well for quick picking on the phone and it's a little more of a static design. I'm leaving the other option there for those who like type in the names and the sheet is a little more dynamic.

What method did you use to work with the sheets in the past? Through a browser or a Google app?
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

can't wait
KapG
PostsCOLON 11908
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 5:46 pm
LocationCOLON Toronto (beach area)

Post by KapG »

Shoalzie wroteCOLONYou're part of the inspiration behind the two designs. The check boxes seem to work well for quick picking on the phone and it's a little more of a static design. I'm leaving the other option there for those who like type in the names and the sheet is a little more dynamic.

What method did you use to work with the sheets in the past? Through a browser or a Google app?
I used the google sheets app for the last several years. Last year was super easy to use
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

I think I'm satisfied with it now, here's the two examples:

"Mobile"
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

"PC"
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

NOTE--These example sheets aren't meant to be editable, just "read-only".
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

I used my (current) roster. I have a lot of 2020 free agents so my team is jacked up right now. I just needed to make a completed lineup to use as an example.

Both sheets have the same lineup where I put a player on IR and left a player on waivers just to show those examples.

As I mentioned, the "Mobile" sheet is heavy on check boxes. The players are sorted by position and there's 3 boxes to the left of the player. The white box is "Active", the grey box is "Reserve" and the pink/red box is "IR". All the players that go into the lineup get assigned as "Active". I assigned defenseman Cameron Crotty as "Reserve" just as an example. I assigned Cory Schneider as "IR".

With the "PC" sheets, the lineup is the same but I have to type those names in the cells in column B. The big difference is you enter the names in any order you want on "PC" while "Mobile" fills the names by alphabetical order when you use the check boxes. Injured reserve is under the reserve spots on the "PC" sheet rather than the under the salary cap information on the "Mobile".

I used the re-use lineup check box in cell A1 on both examples. If you check the box, it fills in your lineup with last week's lineup. It's meant to be a shortcut for all of you who don't want to fill you sheet in every week when you have the same lineup as before. Just check that box and you're good to go.

On both sheets there is a box to the left of the players on IR. That box is checked if you want to designate them for LTIR. If you do, the player's salary gets added to the "LTIR Relief" under "SUMMARY".

If you need further explanation about the new LTIR rules, ask a CC member or myself. On the sheets, all you need to know is that you don't need to define any players as relief. Instead, the "LTIR Relief" gets added to your salary cap. For example, if I put Schneider on LTIR, I'd get an additional $6 million in salary cap space until he's activated...meaning I'd have $87.5 million in available cap instead of the standard $81.5 million.

Another change, I'm only showing the prospects and unsigned players on the "Preseason" sheet. Once the regular season starts (the "Wk 1" sheet), I'm only emphasizing the lineup aspect of the sheet. All you have to do is fill in a valid lineup each week. The additional roster information will be on a different sheet.

The goal is the have less information being sent to your sheets so it doesn't take as long to load or update.

Fire away with requests, "Mobile" or "PC". I'll get these to you as soon as I can.
Loki
PostsCOLON 1938
JoinedCOLON Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:38 pm
LocationCOLON Melbourne, AUS

Post by Loki »

That looks awesome, I really like the look of the Mobile version so sign me up for that one please :)
dave1959
PostsCOLON 5138
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:43 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario

Post by dave1959 »

PC for me please
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090

Post by kimmer »

can't we have both Fwiw?
I work on it on both platforms equally

btw just saw the versions... amazing
love the dark theme on mobile
foofnik
PostsCOLON 1572
JoinedCOLON Sun May 31, 2015 2:58 pm
LocationCOLON Long Island, New York

Post by foofnik »

PC for me

Can we sort by position and then by last name in the columns?
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

foofnik wroteCOLONPC for me

Can we sort by position and then by last name in the columns?

I might tweak that on the PC version before I send those out. That was one the thing I was conflicted about but I'm also trying to have these sheets as compact as possible.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

kimmer wroteCOLONcan't we have both Fwiw?
I work on it on both platforms equally

btw just saw the versions... amazing
love the dark theme on mobile

The thing is either one works for either phone or computer...I just figured checkboxes made more sense for working on a phone. Which way would you prefer? I don't think I can give you both.
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090

Post by kimmer »

Handsome&FairMike
PostsCOLON 4810
JoinedCOLON Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Wolfville, NS

Post by Handsome&FairMike »

Check boxes for me. Thanks scott
CanadianRednek(TOR)
PostsCOLON 176
JoinedCOLON Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:01 pm
LocationCOLON Kingston, Ontario

Post by CanadianRednek(TOR) »

I'll take the mobile one thanks, nice work!
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

I switched the listing of the contract players to having them split up by position on the PC sheets. It makes the sheet a little bigger but it's easier to read.

I've got the entire set of weekly sheets made that version so that one is finalized and I'll send that out to those who requested it. I've got to make the weekly sheets for the Mobile version and then I'll send those out.

Keep the requests coming...
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

Also, the forum link is now pointing to the 2020-21 folder. Those will have the team sheets as they get created.
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to