dave1959
PostsCOLON 5138
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:43 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario

Covid 19

Post by dave1959 »

Everyone staying healthy?

Keeping fairly isolated?

I live in Renfrew County in Ontario. No reported cases here, yet.

Do you know anyone who has the virus?
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Covid 19

Post by Shoalzie »

Don't know anyone personally who has it. I'm in southwest Michigan in the lower peninsula. We have cases in counties near us but none in the county where I live in or in the one where I work.

Not surprisingly, the highest number of cases in Michigan are in the higher populated areas like over towards Detroit around the thumb and on the west side near Grand Rapids. I think people in the remote smaller towns can stay isolated from the big population and avoid the spread but it just takes one to get it and all that can change.

I worked from home yesterday but I prefer to work in the office. We limit who can go in the building so if you can't trust your co-workers, who can you trust? I might look at working from home more frequently if the cases continue to climb and are closer to work and home.

My young son can still go to day care during the day since he's too young for school. All the public schools in Michigan are closed for 3 weeks. Life into too different for my family other than you just need to limit the number of places you visit. There's a lot more eating at home and less trips to the store. While all this is going on, my wife and I working with a builder for (future) new home. Curious to see how that will progress while this is going on.
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
Arian The Insider
PostsCOLON 7304
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:05 pm

Post by Arian The Insider »

I've got a really bad cough. Don't know if it's anything but I'm staying home for a couple of weeks, working from home anyway
Click Oilers image below for full team roster
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

essential service
going into work every day like nothing changed.
they screen employees at entry points however
bills09
PostsCOLON 9280
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 5:10 pm
LocationCOLON Pickering, Ontario

Post by bills09 »

I’m a transportation manager at a Loblaws distribution centre. Still chugging and busier than we have ever been.
Fraser
PostsCOLON 3681
JoinedCOLON Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:38 am
LocationCOLON Perth, Western Australia

Post by Fraser »

Work has shut down completely but core management staff are still going in for project work and planning right now. We have 170 casual employees who have just lost their incomes for a minimum of a month so its a fairly dire situation there right now.
dave1959
PostsCOLON 5138
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:43 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario

Post by dave1959 »

Arian The Insider wroteCOLONI've got a really bad cough. Don't know if it's anything but I'm staying home for a couple of weeks, working from home anyway
keep us posted. Hope it's not the virus.
Arian The Insider
PostsCOLON 7304

dave1959 wroteCOLON
Arian The Insider wroteCOLONI've got a really bad cough. Don't know if it's anything but I'm staying home for a couple of weeks, working from home anyway
keep us posted. Hope it's not the virus.
Feeling a bit better today. Even if it's the virus, I'm not so worried about myself, more worried about spreading it to others.

There's a shortage of tests so they won't test a young guy with just a cough. I'll just stay in until the end of the month.
Last edited by 1 on Arian The Insider, edited 0 times in total.
Handsome&FairMike
PostsCOLON 4810
JoinedCOLON Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Wolfville, NS

Post by Handsome&FairMike »

Yep. We are only testing patients we are admitting now and patients who have potential exposure to the unwell (I.e. mostly health care workers).

Cannot stress the importance of self isolation.

Stay safe.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

They update the numbers for Michigan at 2 p.m. each day on the .gov site. It's gone up from 80 cases yesterday to 336. 279 cases are in the cluster of counties around Detroit. There's a few cases in the neighboring counties where I live. The extreme southwest corner of the lower peninsula have no cases (yet).

Getting the urge to work from home tomorrow.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Shoalzie wroteCOLONThey update the numbers for Michigan at 2 p.m. each day on the .gov site. It's gone up from 80 cases yesterday to 336. 279 cases are in the cluster of counties around Detroit. There's a few cases in the neighboring counties where I live. The extreme southwest corner of the lower peninsula have no cases (yet).

Getting the urge to work from home tomorrow.
Can't feel to comfortable with that kind of jump in numbers. Yikes. I got worried when Ottawa's numbers jumped from 1 to 10 in a week or so.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

I'm sure the spread is real but increased testing will also cause the numbers to jump. 3 deaths in the state...first one happened yesterday.
Arian The Insider
PostsCOLON 7304

There are far more people with the virus than we know, that's for sure
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

Canada and USA leadership are fucked in the head. Esp Canada lol. we had opportunities to shut her down way earlier being one of the lowest density populous countries
Handsome&FairMike
PostsCOLON 4810
JoinedCOLON Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Wolfville, NS

Post by Handsome&FairMike »

kimmer wroteCOLONCanada and USA leadership are fucked in the head. Esp Canada lol. we had opportunities to shut her down way earlier being one of the lowest density populous countries
I think we're well ahead of the states TBH.

But also, reality is way worse than the numbers. Not everyone is getting tested. Community spread for sure. Next couple weeks are going to be bad!
foofnik
PostsCOLON 1572
JoinedCOLON Sun May 31, 2015 2:58 pm
LocationCOLON Long Island, New York

Post by foofnik »

My state as the prime example (NY), as testing becomes more readily available the numbers will spike higher.

I was already working from home (even with a reluctant, idiotic boss not thrilled with the idea) but he now found a loophole after the 100% non-essential closure rule just announced here for the entire state. Even though my focus is running a software company my checks technically come from an environmental company so he can stay open since they provide emergency oil spill services. How all this has been handled has me thinking it's time to update that resume but I'm sure it'll be harder to find something good after this is all said and done and lots of people are looking for work.
koomzzz
PostsCOLON 1245
JoinedCOLON Wed May 25, 2016 2:15 pm
LocationCOLON Cleveland, OH

Post by koomzzz »

Not quite NY numbers, but my county here in Ohio (Cuyahoga) where Cleveland is, will be exploding with cases soon. With the Cleveland Clinic ramping up their tests (when they get in, whenever that is), numbers will spike. Right now I'm working full time +, as we're working on a vaccine at my company, my wife works at the Cleveland clinic, so she's also at work still. Life isn't too different for us right now. One of my co-workers brother's has been tested positive, and another co-worked daughter has been determined to have the virus without being tested (6 yr old). There is no test available for her since she is not a high risk for complications.

We're planning to rotate more often in shifts to continue being productive at work, while minimizing close contact with each other. But it's not easy. I guess the good part about being in a lab is we're stocked on masks, gloves and other PPE. We're considering donating some of these supplies actually.
Chuck Norris
PostsCOLON 4954
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:17 pm

Post by Chuck Norris »

Yeah essential service so were 24/7/365. Management are being assholes and threatening staff with job loss, no pay etc. People were beingntold to ignore quarantine and come into work even if they've just returned from travel. Management finally did an about face yesterday. Still a fucking disaster. We're a time bomb ready to go off if the virus gets into my work.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Post by kyuss »

dave1959 wroteCOLON Do you know anyone who has the virus?
I do. Living in the Lombardy region that's inevitable. Especially when those already huge reported numbers are underestimated, especially in the most affected provinces (not mine though, luckily).

The system basically collapsed, in the Bergamo province in particular. Official death toll doesn't count those who died at home without a diagnosis. The number of deaths over there skyrocketed because part of the population couldn't receive treatment in hospital. As for the lethality rate, the real one is however much lower than the official %, because the number of people infected is so much larger than the number of people that tested positive. After a while in Lombardy they started testing only people with symptoms, and when things went out of control only people that made it to the hospital got tested in those critical areas.

The images of crowds I've seen these past few days in other parts of the world, including Canada (think it was BC ytd), are discouraging for what's coming. Looks like countries and people aren't learning much from the previously affected countries.
We still saw similar scenes in early March in Northern Italy (even on March 7th in Bergamo) and the real disaster started materializing like 10 days later.
At least other countries will be more prepared for that in hospitals. In Italy the virus spread in a few hospitals around 16-23 february, before they realized they had a coronavirus problem.
Jordan (VGK)
PostsCOLON 1062
JoinedCOLON Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:29 pm
LocationCOLON Ottawa, ON

Post by Jordan (VGK) »

kyuss wroteCOLON
dave1959 wroteCOLON Do you know anyone who has the virus?
The images of crowds I've seen these past few days in other parts of the world, including Canada (think it was BC ytd), are discouraging for what's coming. Looks like countries and people aren't learning much from the previously affected countries.
A lot of people I know couldn't refrain from skipping St Patrick's day festivities, so I imagine there are a lot of young people hosting the virus infecting the more at risk people and don't even know it. Should be fun :)
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to