2020 Playoffs

Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
BUTTON_POST_REPLY
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Re: 2020 Playoffs

Post by Matthew »

Bruyns wroteCOLONI'm hoping for no goalie starts from Markstrom/Campbell this week. I like my chances WAY more if I don't lose all the goalie stats like I have been most of the season.
Not that the Toronto gm would notice...Hasn't been on in a month :roll:

Probably puts Cal Peterson in for markstrom if hehad.
Last edited by 1 on Matthew, edited 0 times in total.
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

Fraser wroteCOLONIf Nick Deslauriers is the man that ultimately gave me the chance to upset Steve. That would be one for the BBKL record books.
noble effort
but i doubt you'll beat him by week's end
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Matthew wroteCOLON
Bruyns wroteCOLONI'm hoping for no goalie starts from Markstrom/Campbell this week. I like my chances WAY more if I don't lose all the goalie stats like I have been most of the season.

Don`t insult the Leafs GM - or you`ll have his boyfriend come in and yell at you! :lol:
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Matthew wroteCOLON

Don`t insult the Leafs GM - or you`ll have his boyfriend come in and yell at you! :lol:
Who?
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Matthew wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Matthew wroteCOLON

Who?
SensFan Josh.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

Oh didn't even realize they knew each other.
foofnik
PostsCOLON 1572
JoinedCOLON Sun May 31, 2015 2:58 pm
LocationCOLON Long Island, New York

Post by foofnik »

Josh was his advisor
Sensfanjosh
PostsCOLON 4043
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Post by Sensfanjosh »

CHI is still mad Kyle Clifford didn't land him Jamie Benn.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Sensfanjosh wroteCOLONCHI is still mad Kyle Clifford didn't land him Jamie Benn.
I`m very glad I don`t own Jamie Benn`s overpaid ass. He`ll be Andrew Ladd in no time. Any value spent there was lost value.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Sensfanjosh wroteCOLONCHI is still mad Kyle Clifford didn't land him Jamie Benn.
I`m very glad I don`t own Jamie Benn`s overpaid ass. He`ll be Andrew Ladd in no time. Any value spent there was lost value.
Bad take
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

he only declined once last season - and dallas was bad as a whole
before that, he hit his career-best 89 pts (which was also league-leading i believe? or the year before when he had 87)
he's fine, he'll regularly contribute 70+ ish pts on average
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Matthew wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Bad take
You think?

Andrew Ladd`s age 30 season = 46 points.
Benn`s projected point total in his age 30 season = 46 points

Benn has been trending down now for 2 seasons now. Ladd started trending downwards at around the same age. Both play(ed) a similar power wing game. Benn has stayed relatively healthy so far - just wait until the injuries start to happen. Even if he plays at a 40-50 point pace, that`s still a massive bust for 9.5 million.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Matthew wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Bad take
You think?

Andrew Ladd`s age 30 season = 46 points.
Benn`s projected point total in his age 30 season = 46 points

Benn has been trending down now for 2 seasons now. Ladd started trending downwards at around the same age. Both play(ed) a similar power wing game. Benn has stayed relatively healthy so far - just wait until the injuries start to happen. Even if he plays at a 40-50 point pace, that`s still a massive bust for 9.5 million.
The bad take was that you wouldn't do Clifford for Benn. Benn is ranked 13th amongst wingers, and Clifford 148th.

If he hits 45-50 points for 4 more seasons or so I'd be happy, as he is a monster in so many other categories: on pace for ~ 200 hits, 200 shots, 60 pim, 65 blocks, 300fow, 17 stp. Hence why he is 13th on fantrax. For a team like mine who doesn't need to worry about cap at this stage (except to get to the floor) he is huge and is going to be one of the guys I rely on for my playoff push next season.

As far as Ladd, he was never near as good as Benn. Ladds highest scoring season was 62 points. Benn beat that 6 times. I don't expect Benn to put up 70+ points again, but his numbers are a little suppressed as Dallas has been a poor scoring team the past couple years (2nd last in the West this year a couple goals ahead of LA). I wouldn't be surprised if he put up 50-60 points a few more times which would put him in the top 10 fantrax wingers for our category format. So given our format his contract isn't great, but it's not that bad either. I'm happy with him.

Also, Benn is still 2nd on Dallas in points, only 10 behind seguin. So he's still one of their top scorers. No one on that team is putting up big points.
Last edited by 1 on Matthew, edited 0 times in total.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

I imagine the scoring is down in Dallas in part because Benn isn't very good anymore.

You can get all those periph stats from other players without the Benn contract. Yes, sure you can afford him now. But any time you have an overpaid player it limits the amount of moves you can make at any time.
Bruyns
PostsCOLON 7177
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 am

Post by Bruyns »

Matthew wroteCOLONOh didn't even realize they knew each other.
I actually do know the guy in real life. Met him on a military course in New Brunswick and was very into hockey and fantasy hockey. Could potentially be on a course right now, but ya not a great time to be absent.
Sensfanjosh
PostsCOLON 4043
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Post by Sensfanjosh »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLONBut my inability to make trades of fair value limits the amount of moves I can make at any time.
Correct
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLONI imagine the scoring is down in Dallas in part because Benn isn't very good anymore.

You can get all those periph stats from other players without the Benn contract. Yes, sure you can afford him now. But any time you have an overpaid player it limits the amount of moves you can make at any time.

So your solution is to go acquire a few players to cover each of those stats as opposed to just have 1 guy who does it in 1 roster spot? That's not a good method given we are limited to 18 roster spots. And if you're saying "why not just get Brady tkachuk instead he puts up the same stats and is younger and cheaper cap!" I think you'll find that solution fairly unattainable as well given the likely cost to acquire.

You gotta uber-rebuilder mindset right now, so it's understandable, but other things matter than just cap when you're competing, like stats and limited roster size.

And again, he's the 13th ranked winger on fantrax, so he's not even that overpaid in our format.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Matthew wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLONI imagine the scoring is down in Dallas in part because Benn isn't very good anymore.

So your solution is to go acquire a few players to cover each of those stats as opposed to just have 1 guy who does it in 1 roster spot? That's not a good method given we are limited to 18 roster spots. And if you're saying "why not just get Brady tkachuk instead he puts up the same stats and is younger and cheaper cap!" I think you'll find that solution fairly unattainable as well given the likely cost to acquire.

You gotta uber-rebuilder mindset right now, so it's understandable, but other things matter than just cap when you're competing, like stats and limited roster size.

And again, he's the 13th ranked winger on fantrax, so he's not even that overpaid in our format.
I agree with you about him still being valuable now - but the point of me trading for him would be to flip him for a profit a few years down the line when I no longer needed him. At that point, I am convinced that his value will be very low. So yeah, we are certainly looking at things from a different perspective as you say - which is fine.

But yes, to your point about the stats, I am fairly certain the I can get more than Jamie Benn`s 45 points (this year) plus his periphs for under 9.5 million. That should not be very hard to do.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Sensfanjosh wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLONBut my inability to make trades of fair value limits the amount of moves I can make at any time.
Correct
I see what you did there. Not cool Melnyk. Not cool.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Matthew wroteCOLON

I agree with you about him still being valuable now - but the point of me trading for him would be to flip him for a profit a few years down the line when I no longer needed him. At that point, I am convinced that his value will be very low. So yeah, we are certainly looking at things from a different perspective as you say - which is fine.

But yes, to your point about the stats, I am fairly certain the I can get more than Jamie Benn`s 45 points (this year) plus his periphs for under 9.5 million. That should not be very hard to do.
Well you can do that for almost any player. Barkov + Nylander is like 12.8 compared to McDavids 12.5, but that isn't how that works, because like I said, that uses up 2 roster spots for me. With his extra roster spot he could have an ace ELC player, which he likely will, cuz he's a good team. And that makes matching the stats less attainable.
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to