GDT - Week 20 TRADE DEADLINE

Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Re: GDT - Week 20 TRADE DEADLINE

Post by Matthew »

Handsome&FairMike wroteCOLONTrue matt. But live in my more fun little brain for a while. Would be great to pick the team you play no? In the first round at least. Then it defaults to overall standings for round 2 and 3?

Anyone else with me?
I've actually brought this up to mik/arian I think before. Would be really fun. They shot me down hard, I believe.
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136
JoinedCOLON Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:37 pm

Post by CasperX22 »

Basically what MLB is proposing
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Post by kyuss »

Matthew wroteCOLON
Handsome&FairMike wroteCOLONTrue matt. But live in my more fun little brain for a while. Would be great to pick the team you play no? In the first round at least. Then it defaults to overall standings for round 2 and 3?

Anyone else with me?
I've actually brought this up to mik/arian I think before. Would be really fun. They shot me down hard, I believe.
I believe you're wrong, at least as far as I'm concerned.

In fact, almost anything would be better than the current shitty playoff system
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136

Post by CasperX22 »

It's only shitty if you don't like facing your division rivals in the playoffs.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Post by kyuss »

it's shitty for a reasons that have nothing to do with that and that have been discussed at length in the past.

The fact BBKL refused to implement a different system affected regular season interest
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

Are you talking about 1 through 8 in each conference? The same 8 teams in each conference are making the playoffs this year in our league as they would've if we did 1-8.

The division system is a little quirky and can lead to some repetitive first round matchups...but generally it leads to the same 8 teams making the playoffs in each conference as the previous 1-8 system.

For any fans old enough to remember the Adams/Patrick/Norris/Smythe system...this division format takes me back to where 4 teams made the playoffs from each division with no wild cards.

To me, the current system is a hybrid of the previous formats. The 2 vs. 3 matchup in each division might not be exactly the same matchup in the 1-8 format but the wild card teams are matched up with the division champs like it was 1 vs. 8 and 2 vs. 7.
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
KapG
PostsCOLON 11908
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 5:46 pm
LocationCOLON Toronto (beach area)

Post by KapG »

It’s the divisional matchups first round that are dumb as fuck. Not who is making the playoffs imo.

1st seed should face the 8th seed

Two years ago Leafs and Boston were the 1 and 2 seeds or something like that and they played in the first round. That should never happen
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136

Post by CasperX22 »

KapG wroteCOLONIt’s the divisional matchups first round that are dumb as fuck. Not who is making the playoffs imo.

Two years ago Leafs and Boston were the 1 and 2 seeds or something like that and they played in the first round. That should never happen
Why shouldn't it? Divisional teams play similar schedule. Therefore you have a true 1-4 in each bracket. That is almost never the case in a 1-8 format. If you are arguing for the old 1-8 format then you should also be in far of eliminating divisions and conferences and 1-16 make the playoffs. That would be fun right?
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

im a follower
so whatever the real NHL decides is fine
KapG
PostsCOLON 11908

Post by KapG »

CasperX22 wroteCOLON
KapG wroteCOLONIt’s the divisional matchups first round that are dumb as fuck. Not who is making the playoffs imo.

Why shouldn't it? Divisional teams play similar schedule. Therefore you have a true 1-4 in each bracket. That is almost never the case in a 1-8 format. If you are arguing for the old 1-8 format then you should also be in far of eliminating divisions and conferences and 1-16 make the playoffs. That would be fun right?
Old format was fine with top 3 division winners ranked 1-3 and the rest filling out the last 5 spots in each conference
KapG
PostsCOLON 11908

Post by KapG »

kimmer wroteCOLONim a follower
so whatever the real NHL decides is fine
Pretty much this tho sooooooooo
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Given BBKL doesn`t have to worry about travel, you could always have everyone play the (relatively) same schedule and then seed 1-16. But then that`s not really much fun... I`ve no issues with the current format in the NHL, but fantasy-wise, we could do better to avoid repetitive annual match ups.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

We don't need to reinvent the wheel. 1 through 8 by conference is the best alternative if we don't want to use the current system.

We try to be as close to the NHL but aren't 100% the same. This is different than running a simulated league in a video game where you pick the rules. We still have to use the real players and real results. We try to match most of the rules.
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136

Post by CasperX22 »

Shoalzie wroteCOLONWe don't need to reinvent the wheel. 1 through 8 by conference is the best alternative if we don't want to use the current system.

We try to be as close to the NHL but aren't 100% the same. This is different than running a simulated league in a video game where you pick the rules. We still have to use the real players and real results. We try to match most of the rules.
Again, don't be a hypocrite about it. Guys that are adament about 1-8 should be fighting for 1-16.
dave1959
PostsCOLON 5138
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:43 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario

Post by dave1959 »

I totally agree
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136

Post by CasperX22 »

dave1959 wroteCOLON

I totally agree
Then push for 1-16
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

As Mark suggested, we should abandon conferences and divisions and go with a more balanced schedule if we want to do top 16.
dave1959
PostsCOLON 5138
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:43 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario

Post by dave1959 »

CasperX22 wroteCOLON
dave1959 wroteCOLON

I totally agree
Then push for 1-16

We do this in IFFHL and it works fine.

since 2014 we had

10th def. 13th
1st def. 7th
1st def. 3rd
1st def. 4th
16th def. 6th
4th def. 3rd
Handsome&FairMike
PostsCOLON 4810
JoinedCOLON Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Wolfville, NS

Post by Handsome&FairMike »

Still like the idea of choosing your opponent given its fantasy... no matter how we want to arrange it (1-8, 1-16, etc).
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

I'm sure we all have fantasy stories like this but this one just makes me laugh given our format...

I mentioned before with last week...I opted to sit Hutton and only play Bernier with less than desirable results.

Bernier gets 3 starts with a 3.41 GAA and an .892 SV%. Hutton from my bench wins all 3 starts with a 2.30 GAA and a .915 SV%. The 3 wins could've easily got me 4 more category wins and without doing the math, the might've won a couple other goalie categories.

Okay, so Hutton is on a 4-game winning streak. I have to play him now, right? Both goalies are started for Week 20.

Last night...

Bernier wins against Montreal with pedestrian numbers (3.02 GAA and .864 SV%).
Hutton gives up 6 goals to Ottawa last night in a losing effort (6.21 GAA and .846 SV%).

Yea, fantasy!
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to