Re: GDT - Week 19

Post by Handsome&FairMike »

All depends on the type of arrhythmia
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136
JoinedCOLON Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:37 pm

Post by CasperX22 »

Yep let's add cut leg and heart attack to concussion, broke leg, slit wrist, and cancer to my current long term injuries. My money is on coronavirus next.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

CasperX22 wroteCOLONYep let's add cut leg and heart attack to concussion, broke leg, slit wrist, and cancer to my current long term injuries. My money is on coronavirus next.
Certainly a very abnormal list of injuries you`ve got there.
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136

Post by CasperX22 »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
CasperX22 wroteCOLONYep let's add cut leg and heart attack to concussion, broke leg, slit wrist, and cancer to my current long term injuries. My money is on coronavirus next.
Certainly a very abnormal list of injuries you`ve got there.
If you want somebody dead, just send them to my team.
Jordan (VGK)
PostsCOLON 1062
JoinedCOLON Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:29 pm
LocationCOLON Ottawa, ON

Post by Jordan (VGK) »

Matthew wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLONI could also lose the lottery again and this would have all been pointless. If there was an incentive to get gp and finish last to guarantee first pick, then I would do it. But not with the lottery. Too much risk.
missing gp also moves you back a minimum of 1 spot pre-lotto.
On this note can someone explain the formula? Mainly this portion, I'm not 100% what points from skater stats is. Is that the 123 in my case?

POINTSperGPskaters = (Points from skaters' stats)/(GP by skaters)
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

Malette18 wroteCOLON
Matthew wroteCOLON
Da_Hawks wroteCOLONI could also lose the lottery again and this would have all been pointless. If there was an incentive to get gp and finish last to guarantee first pick, then I would do it. But not with the lottery. Too much risk.
missing gp also moves you back a minimum of 1 spot pre-lotto.
On this note can someone explain the formula? Mainly this portion, I'm not 100% what points from skater stats is. Is that the 123 in my case?

POINTSperGPskaters = (Points from skaters' stats)/(GP by skaters)
Your team currently has 936 points in the standings. Some of those are derived from skater categories, some of those are derived from goalie categories. Since a team is missing skater gp and not goalie gp, the formula only measures the league standing points you received from your skaters when handing out the penalty.

So points from skater stats is your teams total standings points minus your teams goalie standings points.

If someone missed goalie stats then the formula would measure goalie standings points and not skater.
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

kimmer wroteCOLONlike Shaolzie said we can rape some noobs for mid picks when at the time they don't know their own players potential ie chandler stephenson. Guy is like a permanent top nine centre right now

also I drafted emil bemstrom with my 3rd in 2018 so.

point is its not really about how valuable of an asset can 3rds and 4ths be as a draft product VS using them for buying GP, but rather how confident is your ability to make that pick into something worth more than the original perceived value later? (stephenson/hronek/Bemstrom etc). choice is yours whichever way you use the pick for.

I think if you're going to invest a decent draft pick for an active player, you want to get value from that player for multiple seasons. You might not want to give up 2nd or 3rd round for a 38-year-old winger on the verge of retirement unless their stats are the "missing piece" to you competing for a championship.

If you're a rebuilding team, I don't see the problem with investing a few draft picks whenever a team is selling off a decent roster player just so you have a stable option in your lineup. Injuries will happen but to leave a hole in your lineup because you refuse to spend any assets...well, weigh that with the potential punishments you might get for missing on GP.

This should be a deep draft so maybe having the 4th pick is still a good situation but if being stubborn prevented you from get the 1st pick, that's for you to come to terms with.
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
KapG
PostsCOLON 11908
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 5:46 pm
LocationCOLON Toronto (beach area)

Post by KapG »

Injuries suck for sure

Leivo I missed for almost 30gp so far and drouin missed like 40. With those two not out long term I make GP fairly easily. It’s going to come down to the wire
KapG
PostsCOLON 11908
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 5:46 pm
LocationCOLON Toronto (beach area)

Post by KapG »

All the GMs in here busting da hawks balls were probably offering him AHL trash or veterans in the twilight of their careers for 2nd-4th round picks.

I don’t blame him
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

KapG wroteCOLONAll the GMs in here busting da hawks balls were probably offering him AHL trash or veterans in the twilight of their careers for 2nd-4th round picks.

I don’t blame him
Yup, pretty much. I'm probably going to make one or two trades for players that I HOPE will be playing at least another year or two to help out... but some of the prices being asked are just craziness.

In the end, I cannot blame the teams asking for those prices either - because that's probably what they had to pay. Sometimes the market just needs to be re-set and re-balanced.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

I don't mean to sound like I'm picking you, Mark...I'm making observations as a long time member of the league. You came in and took over a team in really bad shape. Your situation is improving but it's still a ways away from being a team that can compete. Maybe the prospects and draft picks you currently have will be your future roster but right now, those guys can't help you here and now.

My advice is don't pass on the opportunity to buy low on some NHLers and potentially flip them for a profit. It's not just the GP angle. It's the investment of a 3rd round pick on a fringe NHLer and maybe in two seasons that guy becomes a player you can flip for a profit in terms of draft or player value and meanwhile, they can give you a steady stream of GP. In a 31-team fantasy league with full rosters and prospects...every player has value.

The best part of the rules we have in place is that even the top teams will want unload excess NHLers when they can't send them through waivers or the salary cap is another reason teams will have to trade away some decent talent.

If your goal is to draft high for several years in a row, well, I hope you're willing to be patient with that but you also have to find ways to fill out your NHL roster in the mean time because you can't just dress 18 guys that spend most of the season in the AHL or on IR. Draft in the top 5 for five years in a row but who else is going to fill those other spots on your roster?
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Shoalzie wroteCOLONI don't mean to sound like I'm picking you, Mark...I'm making observations as a long time member of the league. You came in and took over a team in really bad shape. Your situation is improving but it's still a ways away from being a team that can compete. Maybe the prospects and draft picks you currently have will be your future roster but right now, those guys can't help you here and now.

My advice is don't pass on the opportunity to buy low on some NHLers and potentially flip them for a profit. It's not just the GP angle. It's the investment of a 3rd round pick on a fringe NHLer and maybe in two seasons that guy becomes a player you can flip for a profit in terms of draft or player value and meanwhile, they can give you a steady stream of GP. In a 31-team fantasy league with full rosters and prospects...every player has value.

The best part of the rules we have in place is that even the top teams will want unload excess NHLers when they can't send them through waivers or the salary cap is another reason teams will have to trade away some decent talent.

If your goal is to draft high for several years in a row, well, I hope you're willing to be patient with that but you also have to find ways to fill out your NHL roster in the mean time because you can't just dress 18 guys that spend most of the season in the AHL or on IR. Draft in the top 5 for five years in a row but who else is going to fill those other spots on your roster?
Trust me when I tell you that I`ve been more than willing to make a trade for players with potential (see the Hainsey/Fabbri and Dahlstrom trades). However, for the most part, teams are not lining up to give me young players - mostly looking to trade vets for my prospects or draft picks. I`ve said no to many people this year that wanted 2nd/3rds for players that are already out of the league/frequent healthy scratches.

I`d also like to point out that, like Casper, my team`s been riddled with injuries. Dubinsky, Dekeyser, Letestu out for almost the entire year - Boyle signing late, Ryan out with mental illness or whatever and then none of my rookies taking the next step. It`s been a tough year in Chicago, and nobody is lining up to help me (and nor should they). But to say I`ve not been trying isn`t really fair. Just fighting off the vulchers is a full-time job.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

As a guy who probably wanted to find all the shortcuts imaginable to get out of the cellar...that can lead to some bad choices and bad trades along the way. If you can stay disciplined and avoid those potholes, then good on ya. Spending several years in last place is not fun because you're just looking at the calendar waiting for April and you cobble together a roster with whatever scraps you find laying around.

As soon as the Matthews draft came and I got that first pick and made that big trade with Mike, I couldn't wait to get out of last place and start building up my roster.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Shoalzie wroteCOLONAs a guy who probably wanted to find all the shortcuts imaginable to get out of the cellar...that can lead to some bad choices and bad trades along the way. If you can stay disciplined and avoid those potholes, then good on ya. Spending several years in last place is not fun because you're just looking at the calendar waiting for April and you cobble together a roster with whatever scraps you find laying around.

As soon as the Matthews draft came and I got that first pick and made that big trade with Mike, I couldn't wait to get out of last place and start building up my roster.
And how has that worked out for you?
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

I've been trying to construct a trade tree from that original deal to who I have now.

The return on the original trade was Brock Boeser + Adin Hill + Tyler Johnson + Tanner Pearson + a later 1st round pick in that same draft. One of the primary pieces on my roster that came from others deals was Malkin.

That offseason revolved around me trading the 1st overall, Sam Bennett and P.K. Subban. It could've been argued if I just drafted Matthews and stayed the course with the proper rebuild but 4 years later...I definitely don't regret moving Bennett and Subban as part of the moves.
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136

Post by CasperX22 »

Shoalzie wroteCOLONAs a guy who probably wanted to find all the shortcuts imaginable to get out of the cellar...that can lead to some bad choices and bad trades along the way. If you can stay disciplined and avoid those potholes, then good on ya. Spending several years in last place is not fun because you're just looking at the calendar waiting for April and you cobble together a roster with whatever scraps you find laying around.

Is being in the lottery without a pick in the 1st 3 rounds this year and next year with an empty farm system really a better place to be though?
Arian The Insider
PostsCOLON 7304
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:05 pm

Post by Arian The Insider »

KapG wroteCOLONAll the GMs in here busting da hawks balls were probably offering him AHL trash or veterans in the twilight of their careers for 2nd-4th round picks.

I don’t blame him
I have at least 1 mid 20s NHL player available each year for the last few years for a 2nd or 3rd. Can't put all of the blame on the sellers when the buyers are cheaping out or not accounting for injuries (which every team suffers from). It really goes both ways
Click Oilers image below for full team roster
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

CasperX22 wroteCOLONIs being in the lottery without a pick in the 1st 3 rounds this year and next year with an empty farm system really a better place to be though?

Seriously, that's a very fair question. But let's be honest, if you're not one of the 5-10 top teams in the league right now, why try to compete at all?

Given the climate with so many teams trying to tear down or build back up...there's only so many lottery spots to be had. What's the crime in trying play for a playoff spot?

My roster isn't going to win championships but I think it's at least within range of competing for a wild card spot now or next year. I hadn't made the playoffs since my first season in the league so I want to play meaningful matchups later in the season after spending a few years in the bottom of the league.

The state of my roster long term...well, I get my 2022 picks in the spring and maybe I can keep those under glass and hope what I have now can compete in the East next year. I want to be able to compete while still having the ability to draft and wait on prospects and bring them along slowly. I think I've got a pretty good roster...I just need to see this through and slowly refill the prospect pool.
Bruyns
PostsCOLON 7177
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 am

Post by Bruyns »

I agree that there's blame for both sides and also some luck.

I wouldn't want to pay a pick for Gerbe to get some GP this year and then possibly still miss GP and Gerbe could end up overseas next season. Sometimes you trade for guys but since we don't decide who dresses you get unlucky and don't get the GP you accounted for.

I also claimed Blandisi early this season and he put up 21 GP and I would have given him up for any pick since he was just a free add, not a ton of GP but every little bit helps if you are close to the minimum. Sometimes looking at what teams have NHLers in their minors and being proactive is the best course, but other times when you have limited options and don't want to risk picks on maybes so it's not worth it to perpetually chase NHL/AHL tweeners at the expense of prospects.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

Bruyns wroteCOLONI agree that there's blame for both sides and also some luck.

I wouldn't want to pay a pick for Gerbe to get some GP this year and then possibly still miss GP and Gerbe could end up overseas next season. Sometimes you trade for guys but since we don't decide who dresses you get unlucky and don't get the GP you accounted for.

I also claimed Blandisi early this season and he put up 21 GP and I would have given him up for any pick since he was just a free add, not a ton of GP but every little bit helps if you are close to the minimum. Sometimes looking at what teams have NHLers in their minors and being proactive is the best course, but other times when you have limited options and don't want to risk picks on maybes so it's not worth it to perpetually chase NHL/AHL tweeners at the expense of prospects.
He just signed for 2 more years!
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to