you took over a pretty shitty team. we're happy you're sticking with it, lol
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

Re: GDT - Week 19

Post by Shoalzie »

850 games over 21 week of our season averages out to about 40.5 games a week.

If you can carry 14 NHL regulars every week playing an average of 3 games a week, you'll safely reach 850.

As a general statement, I don't understand why any team is hesitant to pay a 3rd round or 4th round pick to protect your ability to win the draft lottery.

The difference in one spot in the lottery is far more valuable than the cost of mid-round pick to go grab a player that help with GP.

You can't get away with not spending some of your potential futures on your active roster. It's not like every draft pick or every prospect in our systems will amount to anything. You need to preserve value on those lottery picks. The later the draft pick, the less likely you find a future NHLer. You have be willing to give up a pick or two along the way for the benefit of your team.
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136
JoinedCOLON Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:37 pm

Post by CasperX22 »

Shoalzie wroteCOLON850 games over 21 week of our season averages out to about 40.5 games a week.

If you can carry 14 NHL regulars every week playing an average of 3 games a week, you'll safely reach 850.

As a general statement, I don't understand why any team is hesitant to pay a 3rd round or 4th round pick to protect your ability to win the draft lottery.

The difference in one spot in the lottery is far more valuable than the cost of mid-round pick to go grab a player that help with GP.

You can't get away with not spending some of your potential futures on your active roster. It's not like every draft pick or every prospect in our systems will amount to anything. You need to preserve value on those lottery picks. The later the draft pick, the less likely you find a future NHLer. You have be willing to give up a pick or two along the way for the benefit of your team.
I don't blame him for not wanting to spend a 3rd and a 4th for Blackwell and Gerbe though. Especially not when he's pretty much locked in to miss at this point. Those guys are valueless.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

Regardless of blackwell and gerbe, spending picks on some other gp piece seems obvious. Also, he isn't locked in to missing. He's 3 weeks out with just 124 gp to go. The difference between a 5th overall and 1st place pick is pretty significant, and getting Laf will help towards speeding up his re-build probably a year or more over keeping a throw away 5th rounder.
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

at the same time he's not getting lafrenier... I am
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136

Post by CasperX22 »

Matthew wroteCOLONRegardless of blackwell and gerbe, spending picks on some other gp piece seems obvious. Also, he isn't locked in to missing. He's 3 weeks out with just 124 gp to go. The difference between a 5th overall and 1st place pick is pretty significant, and getting Laf will help towards speeding up his re-build probably a year or more over keeping a throw away 5th rounder.
I mean these next few weeks are gp heavy, but I dunno it's gonna be hard to get there looking at his roster. I suppose it's not impossible looking at how heavy these weeks are.

And side note, who say Laf is the #1 pick in this league? Since you like to point out this isnt the NHL after all :D
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

I wouldn't be shocked if someone went for a center at #1.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

I could also lose the lottery again and this would have all been pointless. If there was an incentive to get gp and finish last to guarantee first pick, then I would do it. But not with the lottery. Too much risk.
KapG
PostsCOLON 11908
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 5:46 pm
LocationCOLON Toronto (beach area)

Post by KapG »

Imagine laf not going first...

Lol
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136

Post by CasperX22 »

KapG wroteCOLONImagine laf not going first...

Lol
Not as ridiculous as you're making it out to be.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

It take so many players to make a winning roster in format like ours. Drafting Lafreniere will address one need on your roster but you still need a handful of good wingers, a few top flight defensemen, a reliable goalie and some other use role player/periph category guys. You can revolve an season around trying to win the lottery but it takes several years accumulate enough talent to be competitive let alone a playoff contender.

I think a lot still comes down to overall roster construction. Don't be afraid to carry a player in their 30s if they can get you numbers. I think the trick is to know when to trade a player away before their value craters and you're selling a former star player for pennies on the dollar.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLONI could also lose the lottery again and this would have all been pointless. If there was an incentive to get gp and finish last to guarantee first pick, then I would do it. But not with the lottery. Too much risk.
missing gp also moves you back a minimum of 1 spot pre-lotto.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLONI could also lose the lottery again and this would have all been pointless. If there was an incentive to get gp and finish last to guarantee first pick, then I would do it. But not with the lottery. Too much risk.

Your roster was so absent of prospects and draft picks when you took over...it probably takes a couple seasons just to refill the prospect pool. Eventually you'll need to start acquiring some reliable NHLers that will get you some numbers (and GP) but they won't really hurt your chances at a high draft pick if you're still rebuilding. You can carry a couple of good players on your roster but you can still lose every week against teams with much more talent than you.

The trick is to carry just enough talent to lose close in categories but not to go to extremes and carry as little talent as possible or make no effort to acquire any players. You're going to need to address your active roster eventually unless you think you're going to draft a dozen everyday NHL players in the next few years to fill any holes you have.

It's very difficult to find NHL players in the later rounds of a draft. If you hang onto your 1st and 2nd and maybe your 3rd round picks but go out and acquire a few useful veteran players that you keep on your team for a while.
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136

Post by CasperX22 »

What useful players are getting moved for 4ths?
KapG
PostsCOLON 11908
JoinedCOLON Tue May 04, 2010 5:46 pm
LocationCOLON Toronto (beach area)

Post by KapG »

None lol
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

CasperX22 wroteCOLONWhat useful players are getting moved for 4ths?
Well, if u take a draft like bbkl 2014, we have like 9 NHLers past the 3rd round out of 120. So chances are almost nothing you will get a Good NHLer past the 3rd round. Even trading a 4th or 5th for a guy that gets you 50gp is almost certainly going to be more valuable than someone you will draft.

I've been here for 5 drafts. The only players I've drafted beyond the 2nd round to make it to the NHL are trevor moore and connor bunnaman.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

CasperX22 wroteCOLONWhat useful players are getting moved for 4ths?

I guess useful players aren't going for 4ths...maybe fringe GP players. 3rd round picks are a decent price for an NHLer.

In the recent past, I acquired Josh Archibald for a 3rd + 4th, Lazar for a 3rd and Chandler Stephenson for a 3rd.

What could you do with a 3rd round pick? In 2016, guys who went in our 3rd round include Victor Mete, Filip Hronek, Jordan Kyrou, Ryan Lindgren, Givani Smith, Dylan Gambrell and Henrik Borgstrom. I have to think it's 50/50 proposition at best you're getting an NHLer in that round.
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

like Shaolzie said we can rape some noobs for mid picks when at the time they don't know their own players potential ie chandler stephenson. Guy is like a permanent top nine centre right now

also I drafted emil bemstrom with my 3rd in 2018 so.

point is its not really about how valuable of an asset can 3rds and 4ths be as a draft product VS using them for buying GP, but rather how confident is your ability to make that pick into something worth more than the original perceived value later? (stephenson/hronek/Bemstrom etc). choice is yours whichever way you use the pick for.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682

Post by Matthew »

Bouwmeester collapsed trying to go back to his locker room and game was postponed:

Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Yikes for J-Bo. Have to believe he's going to take the rest of the year off. Given his age and career, that'd be enough to call it a career if I were in his shoes.
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to