GDT - Week 19

Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
Bruyns
PostsCOLON 7177
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 am

Re: GDT - Week 19

Post by Bruyns »

I was just choosing the name that was most fresh in my memory from reading it, could apply to any generic NHLer who doesn't seem to have a spot locked down, doesn't put up great stats, is old or the dreaded combination of all three of those.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:27 am
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Bruyns wroteCOLONI was just choosing the name that was most fresh in my memory from reading it, could apply to any generic NHLer who doesn't seem to have a spot locked down, doesn't put up great stats, is old or the dreaded combination of all three of those.
Answer: what is the value of a 3rd round pick in BBKL.

Alex: Correct!
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136
JoinedCOLON Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:37 pm

Post by CasperX22 »

Shoalzie wroteCOLON
CasperX22 wroteCOLONIs being in the lottery without a pick in the 1st 3 rounds this year and next year with an empty farm system really a better place to be though?

Seriously, that's a very fair question. But let's be honest, if you're not one of the 5-10 top teams in the league right now, why try to compete at all?

Given the climate with so many teams trying to tear down or build back up...there's only so many lottery spots to be had. What's the crime in trying play for a playoff spot?

My roster isn't going to win championships but I think it's at least within range of competing for a wild card spot now or next year. I hadn't made the playoffs since my first season in the league so I want to play meaningful matchups later in the season after spending a few years in the bottom of the league.

The state of my roster long term...well, I get my 2022 picks in the spring and maybe I can keep those under glass and hope what I have now can compete in the East next year. I want to be able to compete while still having the ability to draft and wait on prospects and bring them along slowly. I think I've got a pretty good roster...I just need to see this through and slowly refill the prospect pool.
I guess I don't see playoffs being as viable an option for you as you do with your current roster. I don't really get the philosophy of selling out to be the 8th best team in your conference. This is fantasy and it's not like you're trying to remain some what competitive for ticket sales lol!
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136

Post by CasperX22 »

Matthew wroteCOLON
Bruyns wroteCOLONI agree that there's blame for both sides and also some luck.

I wouldn't want to pay a pick for Gerbe to get some GP this year and then possibly still miss GP and Gerbe could end up overseas next season. Sometimes you trade for guys but since we don't decide who dresses you get unlucky and don't get the GP you accounted for.

I also claimed Blandisi early this season and he put up 21 GP and I would have given him up for any pick since he was just a free add, not a ton of GP but every little bit helps if you are close to the minimum. Sometimes looking at what teams have NHLers in their minors and being proactive is the best course, but other times when you have limited options and don't want to risk picks on maybes so it's not worth it to perpetually chase NHL/AHL tweeners at the expense of prospects.
He just signed for 2 more years!
To a two-way deal. Hence barring CBJ getting decimated by injuries again he isn't seeing the NHL.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

CasperX22 wroteCOLONI guess I don't see playoffs being as viable an option for you as you do with your current roster. I don't really get the philosophy of selling out to be the 8th best team in your conference. This is fantasy and it's not like you're trying to remain some what competitive for ticket sales lol!

I've been in this league a dozen years or so...and I only can remember the one playoff appearance. Getting back to the playoffs to me is an actual goal whether it amounts to anything or not.

When I see 3 teams below me in the division near the bottom of the league and the team right above me in 4th place is holding the last wild card...what's the more attainable goal?
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Shoalzie wroteCOLON
CasperX22 wroteCOLONI guess I don't see playoffs being as viable an option for you as you do with your current roster. I don't really get the philosophy of selling out to be the 8th best team in your conference. This is fantasy and it's not like you're trying to remain some what competitive for ticket sales lol!

I've been in this league a dozen years or so...and I only can remember the one playoff appearance. Getting back to the playoffs to me is an actual goal whether it amounts to anything or not.

When I see 3 teams below me in the division near the bottom of the league and the team right above me in 4th place is holding the last wild card...what's the more attainable goal?
Given your current situation, definitely competing... but if you had your top pick, you could easily be following the real-life Red Wings rebuild. Could go either way. The bottom is fun. Ya just sit here, relax and watch Steve make two dozen trades a year.
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

thats a great story scott bro, it was a nice read
just whatever you do man, stop trading your 1sts to mik
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136

Post by CasperX22 »

kimmer wroteCOLONthats a great story scott bro, it was a nice read
Agreed. Goes for everyone else too lol!
Sensfanjosh
PostsCOLON 4043
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Post by Sensfanjosh »

and you stop trading yours to Steve!
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136

Post by CasperX22 »

Sensfanjosh wroteCOLON
and you stop trading yours to Steve!
Also agreed
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090

Post by kimmer »

I dont believe I actually traded a CAR 1st to steve since like 2014. I couldn't even find a deal it goes back so long. so please, do ur research before attempting to ridicule me
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

It's the circle of life...

A star player gets their big money long-term contract and prices themselves off a contending BBKL team. Contending BBKL team is willing to move said player for a 1st round pick. Talent-starved BBKL with cap space obliges.

Contending BBKL team goes on to draft a potential new young star and has them while another young star on their team prices themselves out. Said players becomes expandable for futures.

...and so on and so on and so on.
CasperX22
PostsCOLON 6136

Post by CasperX22 »

Shoalzie wroteCOLONIt's the circle of life...

A star player gets their big money long-term contract and prices themselves off a contending BBKL team. Contending BBKL team is willing to move said player for a 1st round pick. Talent-starved BBKL with cap space obliges.

Contending BBKL team goes on to draft a potential new young star and has them while another young star on their team prices themselves out. Said players becomes expandable for futures.

Yeah so break the cycle.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

I'll be pretty tighter up against the cap next season so you won't have to worry about it being me. I did my thing this year with Ekman-Larsson and Gusev.

Frankly, I don't want to add another veteran player when we have the expansion draft next summer.

Next season with the expansion draft looming, it could be a good year for a team to acquire some excess talent off a contender...hint hint.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Shoalzie wroteCOLONI'll be pretty tighter up against the cap next season so you won't have to worry about it being me. I did my thing this year with Ekman-Larsson and Gusev.

Frankly, I don't want to add another veteran player when we have the expansion draft next summer.

Next season with the expansion draft looming, it could be a good year for a team to acquire some excess talent off a contender...hint hint.
Expansion team's gonna better than mine. Oh well.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

The Golden Knights were playoff-caliber right away in our league...the Seattle team could be better than a lot of teams in the league in their first season. It depends on the approach the GM.
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090

Post by kimmer »

Shoalzie wroteCOLONIt's the circle of life...

bro it ain't circle of life lol
it only happens because bottom dwellers allow this to happen and tells themself it was an ok deal for them lol. just trade anything but ur own 1st and see what happens lol
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

I'll take some bullets but I'm not only teams that's been seduced...

http://bbkl.ca/viewtopic.php?t=15626
http://bbkl.ca/viewtopic.php?t=15628

If I didn't have a taker for Drew Doughty, all the moves I made probably wouldn't have happened.
Da_Hawks
PostsCOLON 2706
LocationCOLON Ottawa

Post by Da_Hawks »

Shoalzie wroteCOLONThe Golden Knights were playoff-caliber right away in our league...the Seattle team could be better than a lot of teams in the league in their first season. It depends on the approach the GM.
Yeah, and now they are not anywhere close to it. So many people without any patience is what the top teams feast on year after year.
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

Da_Hawks wroteCOLON
Shoalzie wroteCOLONI'll be pretty tighter up against the cap next season so you won't have to worry about it being me. I did my thing this year with Ekman-Larsson and Gusev.

Expansion team's gonna better than mine. Oh well.
You broke your team down on purpose. This is what you wanted.
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to