Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
foofnik
PostsCOLON 1572
JoinedCOLON Sun May 31, 2015 2:58 pm
LocationCOLON Long Island, New York

Re: GWT 12

Post by foofnik »

kyuss wroteCOLON
Shoalzie wroteCOLONNext week is a very short week...no games until Thursday night. Are we still doing 4 matchups?
that would be far from ideal.

Btw, is roster lock going to be on Thursday rather than today?
All players have 2 or 3 games this matchup, it's barely less than usual even though the week is shorter
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Post by kyuss »

I’d say it’s around 40% less games than a regular week.. if so, that hardly qualifies as “barely less”
Matthew
PostsCOLON 13682
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Post by Matthew »

I have 42gp next week. Have had weeks with around 50-55gp, so it is barely less than some weeks.
ANAHEIM DUCKS | FANTRAX |
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

are you sure for past weeks you're counting expected games rather than the actual number of games played?

for example, this past week my expected games were 70 (before the Jokiharju fiasco and EK suspension) but fantrax now only shows 65 in the counter. Expected games is the number you need to compare to this week's expected games.

I only checked my last 2 weeks. Compared to last week the reduction goes from 70 down to 41 => 41.5%. Compared to the previous week it's 62/41 => 34%.
foofnik
PostsCOLON 1572

Post by foofnik »

So for a super team that can hit 70 on a given week, yes it will be less. For normal teams in the 50-55 range, it is barely less. So sure, it will be a disadvantage to some teams such as yours.

Last week for example the average was 54.7 with the median skater GP being 53.

The way the schedule fits is a single shorter week, and 1-2GP per player in week 1 made more sense than 2-3 GP now. Didn't have room to merge this into another either as there is a similar issue around the all star game (except on both sides not just 1 week like this one) so I combined those together instead of now.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

foofnik wroteCOLONSo for a super team that can hit 70 on a given week, yes it will be less. For normal teams in the 50-55 range, it is barely less. So sure, it will be a disadvantage to some teams such as yours.

Last week for example the average was 54.7 with the median skater GP being 53.
again, it makes no sense comparing expected games for next week to actually played games in previous weeks. It looks like for previous weeks you're not counting all the games of players dressed who actually don't play (AHLers, injuries, healthy scratches..) while you're instead counting them for next week.

Once you take away that, being a super team or a weak team shouldn't affect the count much, it's not like the players of weak teams play less games...
The way the schedule fits is a single shorter week, and 1-2GP per player in week 1 made more sense than 2-3 GP now. Didn't have room to merge this into another either as there is a similar issue around the all star game (except on both sides not just 1 week like this one) so I combined those together instead of now.
don't get me wrong, I didn't look into it, I only said having 4 matchups for a week with only 4 days is not ideal. I don't know whether there was/is a way to not have 4 matchups this week or this is indeed the lesser evil.
We have 20 weeks with 4 matchups and 1 with only 2 right? (fantrax currently says 22 but I believe to leave one more for the 2-weeks final)
Is there a shorter week than this one where the 2-matchups week has been scheduled?
koomzzz
PostsCOLON 1245
JoinedCOLON Wed May 25, 2016 2:15 pm
LocationCOLON Cleveland, OH

Post by koomzzz »

We used the 2 opponent matchup week 1.
foofnik
PostsCOLON 1572

Post by foofnik »

If FT says 22 regular season weeks then an admin needs to email them to merge the all star break periods (or there might be a setting for that in the commish area maybe)

Should be 21, with a shorter week being week 1, then 4 playoff matchups over 5 weeks with the final one being a double, so merged again.

As Koomz said, week 1 had less GP so we used the less matchups period there. And no we can't do two shorter weeks of 3 each because of the number of teams in the league. This will change again when Seattle joins.

The players on the weak teams do play less game. I mean weak BBKL teams, not NHL. Lower teams end up with less GP because they typically have more tweeners than the best teams, hence the GP gap from top to bottom. Good teams have full time NHLers and usually more in the minors too as reserves, which leaves tweeners for the rest; that seems like common knowledge of how these leagues run.
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

foofnik wroteCOLONIf FT says 22 regular season weeks then an admin needs to email them to merge the all star break periods (or there might be a setting for that in the commish area maybe)

Should be 21, with a shorter week being week 1, then 4 playoff matchups over 5 weeks with the final one being a double, so merged again.

As Koomz said, week 1 had less GP so we used the less matchups period there. And no we can't do two shorter weeks of 3 each because of the number of teams in the league. This will change again when Seattle joins.
ok, thumbs up!
The players on the weak teams do play less game. I mean weak BBKL teams, not NHL. Lower teams end up with less GP because they typically have more tweeners than the best teams, hence the GP gap from top to bottom. Good teams have full time NHLers and usually more in the minors too as reserves, which leaves tweeners for the rest; that seems like common knowledge of how these leagues run.
It looks like I am not able to explain myself.
The above has nothing to do with how the number of games each week provides should be counted. You should compare scheduled games for both the upcoming week and past weeks rather than comparing scheduled games for next week vs actually played games from past weeks.
foofnik
PostsCOLON 1572

Post by foofnik »

If your point is that the average and median number would be higher, then cool, someone can go manually run those numbers because I don't know of a way to quickly look them up. And again, no bearing IMO because all teams have injuries and call ups/downs, so if your point is that this week is a little less than what I previously called "slightly less", then semantics.

Week 1 everyone had an average and median of 31 accrued skater GP each, so that was an obvious time to implement the shorter week. Reasoning beforehand was that it's a short week with 1-2GP per player and also no one knows how lines and scratches will shake out for the first few games. I looked at this week and a few others that were lighter comparatively and deemed merging 17 and 18 around the all star break into a single period as the best time to make the 1 merge necessary to get us from 22 to 21 regular season weeks.
dave1959
PostsCOLON 5138
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:43 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario

Post by dave1959 »

The schedule has only been posted since before the season started...why bother talking about it now.
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

Tl;dr
Whos arguing for what stance here
Tony
PostsCOLON 11222
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 10:29 pm
LocationCOLON Nevada

Post by Tony »

kimmer wroteCOLONTl;dr
Whos arguing for what stance here

Solidarity, brother.
Click banner to view current roster and picks
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

foofnik wroteCOLONIf your point is that the average and median number would be higher, then cool, someone can go manually run those numbers because I don't know of a way to quickly look them up. And again, no bearing IMO because all teams have injuries and call ups/downs, so if your point is that this week is a little less than what I previously called "slightly less", then semantics.
yeah I was arguing that since we have about 35% less games this week it's significantly less rather than "little less" :D
Week 1 everyone had an average and median of 31 accrued skater GP each, so that was an obvious time to implement the shorter week. Reasoning beforehand was that it's a short week with 1-2GP per player and also no one knows how lines and scratches will shake out for the first few games. I looked at this week and a few others that were lighter comparatively and deemed merging 17 and 18 around the all star break into a single period as the best time to make the 1 merge necessary to get us from 22 to 21 regular season weeks.
Everything makes sense, thanks for taking the time and for looking into it before the season, putting together a well reasoned schedule.
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to